Fear of failure/ first jam session

Sure it does take a look at this.

The Banjo is off to the right of the Upright Bass :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Sorry Iā€™m late to this thread @autumnsdad1990. That is very cool that youā€™re doing a jam. I canā€™t give you any advice other than to just be yourself and donā€™t over-promise. The most important thing is to be humble about your bass skills. Then when you show them what a badass you really are, they will be totally wowed.

3 Likes

Uh, yeah. It makes the girls want to dance. Whenitā€™s next to the bass

2 Likes

Nice save :rofl:

2 Likes
1 Like

While not everyone in the band knows this but the bassist control the band. Thereā€™s no song without a bass part, unless itā€™s acoustic.

If this is your first session then just enjoy the experience, it only happens once. Iā€™d definitely stick with the drummer. Most time, itā€™s the drummer who can not keep it together if all the players are at the same level. Iā€™d also take a wide shot video recording for later. You can quickly spot your area of opportunities when you watch it.

Above all else, have fun!

5 Likes

Pam, you are always awesome. Thank you so much.

4 Likes

That is an excellent point

3 Likes

Yeah, i got no promises. Ima show up and do what i can. Hopefully Iā€™ll keep up. If not this time. Iā€™ll get a good idea what i need to work on. The goal is to play well. I play better now than when i started, so itā€™s an achievable goal. So if i canā€™t do it now, thatā€™s what practice is for.

3 Likes

I can see why youā€™d be nervous, but it sounds like the other guys are less than professional too, and just wanna play for kicks, so Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be fine. Let us know how it went!

5 Likes

Yeah. Drummers too. Bands can survive a bad guitarist, but bad drummer? Youā€™re out of luck :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is so true. All but one band Iā€™ve been involved the drummer seems to be a level above. My keyboard players is levels above everyone on each instrument bass, drum, guitar. Heā€™s a child prodigy at a very young age he plays Latin jazz with members 3-4 times his age, lol.

Nothing frustrates a bassist more than a drummer who can not keep time. When he started dragging and especially drop the volume, itā€™s hell on earth.

3 Likes

Itā€™s not just about drum OR bass, itā€™s about rhythm. They are both part of the rhythm sections, which are fundamental to music. Sure, people may be drooling over a fancy guitar solo, but what are they dancing to? Thatā€™s right, the rhythm sectionā€¦

It fascinates me how many times Iā€™ve had to point this out to friends and family. They just donā€™t appreciate this.

There is truth in this songā€¦ :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYIaWeVL1JM

ā€œRhythm is a dancer
Itā€™s a soulā€™s companion
You can feel it everywhere
Lift your hands and voices
Free your mind and join us
You can feel it in the airā€

Anyway, that was a bit of a tangentā€¦ :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Phil Collins felt it in the air too :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Because Phil Collins was so musically attenuated that he can hear the beat of butterfly wings.

3 Likes

If only people would take heed of this?

I put the importance of rhythm right up there with tuning before playing but some people just donā€™t listen :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Metallica is doing okay with Lars :metal:

J/k

Just relax
I had a stroke almost 2 years ago and took up bass from scratch.
I was lucky enough to get a bass position in a garage band.
My advice is to practice, practice, practice. When you get to do your gig listen to the music and get into the rythm.
Remember less is more and just root notes in time is better than trying to be fancy.
Bass and drums are the engine.
Iā€™m talking from experience because we have grown from a garage band to having played our first paid gig last Friday.
We kept people on the dance floor from the first song to the third encore.
Relax and have fun.
PS The bass player is the cool dude in the background.

7 Likes

Hey, thanks Mike! Good to hear from another stroke survivor. Iā€™ve had a couple (relatively) minor hemmoragic strokes in the circle of Willis portion of the brain.
After all the frustration and disappointment of having to learn to do normal things again, being able to learn bass is amazing.
I stink, but i try real hard. And all that trying pays off. After 9 months i can Almost sound like i want to About half the time.

So, as much as Iā€™m scared green to actually play with anyone, Iā€™m going to go do it. Going to Just stick with fundamentals and hope i did well enough to get asked back.

We are getting together Sunday. Iā€™ll post here After. Whether or not i succeed isnā€™t really whatā€™s in it. Because even if i fail miserably ( a real possibility) Iā€™ll know what to look at to get better.

Keep making noise, we need more noise.

2 Likes

So true :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes