Fender is overrated/overpriced (Calling Mustang owners for opinion)

It’s like the most common brand mispelling ever :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I always have to think three times of spelling before writing it down. 3 out of 5 times misspelled.

3 Likes

Same here!

3 Likes

4 Likes

That’s why nowadays you see one Land Rover in the sea of Range Rovers :smiley:
Well it’s Indian made so… Yeah…

2 Likes

I bought an MIM Fender P a while ago and I must say I have been very impressed with it from straight out of the box. Since owning it I have put Fender vintage pickups in it ( now they are overrated for the price) and an Obisidian wiring kit ( probably unnecessary).
I also bought a Squier Mustang which although played very nicely had quality control issues from new.
I’m thinking if you get the right guy checking your bass when it leaves the factory you will be right. If it’s Friday arvo or someone’s having a bad day you might be screwed.

4 Likes

Strong brands can endure a lot. How many iPhones have you seen with screens cracked due to using poor materials for the screen? TONS! How many people have stopped buying iPhones due to this? Hardly any… In fact, their market share probably went up.

1 Like

7 Likes

Now, let’s hope you didn’t buy from Felloffatruck & Sons :wink:

6 Likes

Strong brands or lemmings for customers, discuss…. Hahaha.
When the brand has no true intrinsic value (we have talked about his before), the brand is only as strong as the lemmings who follow it. Perhaps you would like to see my wife’s Louis Vuitton bag or Prada shoe collection, all basically intrinsically worthless (she’s tried to sell some, everyone now thinks they are fakes.).
These brands need the lemmings lead by the pied pipers of marketing to survive.

3 Likes

Perhaps they will have you smash it and take pics like they did with my amp!
That alone might be worth the hassle!

3 Likes

I do now wish I never bought the Fender Studio 40, BUT….and it is a big BUT, it taught me a lot in a short time about what I wanted in an amp. Not sure I would have gotten there so cheaply otherwise. I know I will recoup a good portion of the cash, but, can’t help but thinking that I wish there was a better way to experiment/experience, etc. Sure, I could have bought plugins (which don’t give you the ‘live’ feel without pricey monitors), net/net maybe even more costly.

Taking a ride to the little guitar shop over the bridge today for some wheeling dealing and play testing (testing for amps, not buying). Let the journey begin.

2 Likes

Famous last words…

I don’t have regrets, but I understand what you are saying. Still, as you also point out, you can learn a lot from these smaller (modeling) amp that hopefully informs your future purchase decisions. I lost a bit of money when re-selling the Studio 40, but, really, I was also using it all the time, so I see it more as rent/lease I paid for using it a while :smile:

Hope that place you visit has a decent selection of amps!

6 Likes

Don’t worry. We won’t tell your wife you think she’s a lemming. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I actually have the same views about my wife’s bags and shoes. However, she feels that way about my musical gear. She’s spent and lost money on fashion accessories. I’ve spent and lost money on musical gear. So, we just accept that we appreciate spending money on different things and that it’s hard for us to see what value the other is receiving from their purchases. Perceived value is very much a personal thing.

And… we all make good and bad purchases. Just another stream of learning.

5 Likes

This is how I look at stuff and is a great way to look at it. I think things like… “I lost £150 on that amp, but I probably used it 150 hours. So £1/hr to use an amp is not that bad.”

7 Likes

It’s all about your musical journey imo. If I had know what I know now I would never bought product x or y. Hell I would even have invested in Bitcoins 10 years ago if I could :wink:

I’m glad I started with cheap products first. Much more fun!

4 Likes

Well, Chris Squire WAS a bass player

3 Likes

Well this is the reply from retailer.

Hi Faris,

Thank you for your email. I understand this is annoying for you. I also understand this is a lot of money for you and you want things to be perfect.

I will address your concerns one by one. The problem is here: these are not really ’ defects’ as the whole line has these same issues if they are issues. Some customers are fine with some of them and others are not. i do understand that you see this as an instrument that costs of lot of money, however in the bigger scheme of things and how Fender sees this…it is considered to be a starter to intermediate level instrument.

now for my reactions:

1: Knobs feel so cheap, However I guess that’s how their entire product line is.

It is indeed the entire product line and yes it is a personal thing as generally it is considered to be an advantage when modern pots like this turn easily as opposed to the old days when pots tended to be stiff and would turn more heavily. but again, this is personal.

2: Jazz/bridge pick up is so weak, it seems they put it there just to be there. You can never use it solo. pot, you can’t hear much difference unless you are on P pickup.

these two items about pups and the switch seem to be related to me: Note that the Precision pickup is a humbucker pickup and therefore has more output than a single coil J bass pup. so it is supposed to be louder. If you would want to compensate for that you should simply screw down the P bass pup somewhat (or screw the J bass pup up) and trun up the ampvolume until you find a pleasant balance. as it is not a ‘given;’ that pickups should be at the same hight, especially when they are different in output… however if you think the j pup is broken you should let us know and maybe send a short video so we can ask Fender for a replacement pup. OK?

If you think you can make it work with this bass, let Quint know (cc) if you can not I would suggest either going for a more ’ upmarket’ bass that would suit your demands and playing style better. ok?> Let us know.

Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards

Now tell me that this isnt overpriced. 600+ euros instrument is considered starter intermediate only level above it is American Performer Mustang, and Fender doesn’t care so much about it. What then that makes Squier?

4 Likes

Fender has replied to you with a standard form letter and passed you on to the retailer.

That kind of response from the retailer makes me feel uncomfortable, and it sounds as if they’re in total denial . . . :angry:

I have had nothing but good luck with Fender myself and have been a longtime fan, so I’m really saddened to see you getting the runaround like that, @Growl . . . :frowning:

8 Likes

I’ve just made video for them. You guys can check it out too.

1 Like