Fender is overrated/overpriced (Calling Mustang owners for opinion)

If you’re not totally happy with your purchase @Growl , can’t you just send it back and get a refund from the retailer? . . . :thinking:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Items that have been specially ordered for a customer or made to order can only be returned if they are defective.

This is their policy, and they say it’s not defective. It’s just the way it is.
And they didn’t have it in stock when I ordered, so they made order for me specifically.

1 Like

@Growl , Sorry to hear the hassle. Totally sucks to be fired up for a new bass (especially for that long of a wait) only to have issues.

I won’t get into the brand loyalty debate having three Fenders in my arsenal, but agree QC can be hit and miss, even for Fender. My brand-new MIA J bass had to be sent back last year as the neck pickup didn’t work. Fortunately I bought it from Sweetwater and they had another in stock and quickly replaced it. My other two Fenders MIM have both been spot on.

Hilarious @joergkutter !

Best of luck getting a replacement quickly! Peace.

PS (edit) - One of my MIM Fenders is a PJ Mustang I bought a few months ago (we discussed it on other threads - pics below). Absolutely ZERO negatives about it! This one hangs well with my MIM P and my MIA J; so what you’re experiencing @Growl seems unusual. Agree with @howard , Call Fender and tell them to help.

5 Likes

I here no problem with the pickups, they need some adusting is all.
Pots - are not linear, ever, more logrythmic.
What you have are cheap pots.
My Squier had that, swapped out, beautiful.
Sadly this is pretty normal, they don’t waste much $ here as most people simply turn the volume all the way up on a bass anyway.

I don’t hear anything defective.

4 Likes

If I were in your position @Growl , I would take that bass to an “Authorized” Fender repair shop and have them take a look at it.

If they can’t fix the issues, it’s defective. Get a letter from them and return a copy of it to the retailer . . . :wink:

If they CAN fix the issues, you’re all set . . . :+1:

Good luck to you
Joe

5 Likes

I didn’t say anything is defective or not working.
Everything works, but does it work as intended/expected?
That was my question for them all along. If they say it’s how it’s supposed to be then I have nothing more to add, I’ll be okay with this now, and I’ll just sell it and get some brand where they care more about product quality.

1 Like

Does your volume control behave like that with the tone fully on or only when the tone is rolled off?

1 Like

@HowlinDawg It’s always like that.

1 Like

I’d like to hear from people who already purchased PJ Mustang before me about their experience with it.

2 Likes

For a $10 or two pot and a setup, you could solve all your problems very quickly.

2 Likes

Oh well anyways, I’m stuck with it.

Note we do not accept returns from outside of the EU as the customer will not get the VAT reimbursed and we will have to pay import VAT again when the guitar arrives in the Netherlands.

1 Like

I haven’t got any experience with a Fender Mustang PJ unfortunately.
Here are however some suggestions I have:

• on this statement:

Get advice by a consumer protection organization to know if those terms are lawful. One never knows.

• ask a luthier to have a look and find a possible solution
  • look for replacement pickups and pots as according to the seller, it is an entry level product, you could only improve the sound :wink:

Certainly not cool to have that experience, just try to make the best of it.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be happy either, this is not a cheap bass, the volume knob thing is very annoying, that cannot be “normal”
On the bright side from the comments here it seems that all can be improved easily, but then again $920 shouldn’t come like this imo
Good luck
PS @John_E what are “pots”?

2 Likes

It is NOT normal to have low-friction, cheap spinny pots on a 600 euro bass. Regardless of what the shop says. Unless Fender has totally gone to crap, which I doubt :slight_smile:

Additionally per your description the wiring sounds like it is not working correctly.

It’s new, so you should have a warranty. The next step should be to contact Fender and tell them you would like a warranty repair and are getting no support from the shop.

8 Likes

You beat me to it, @howard . . . :slight_smile:

Was just going to say that!

Cheers,
Joe

6 Likes

potentiometers. aka volume/tone knobs

7 Likes

I can’t emphasize this enough. I’ve owned three entry level basses - one Yamaha and two Warwicks - and none of them had any issue at all with cheap feeling hardware, bad pots, or controls that didn’t do what they should.

One of them had a minor wiring issue that was immediately fixed for free with no questions asked.

What that shop told you was utter crap. You should not just put up with this.

I’m all for fixing minor issues myself but having to immediately replace pots on a new bass because the manufacturer cheesed them is unacceptable, despite having the skills to do so.

9 Likes

In the end it will be cheaper option for me to do it all by myself. Much cheaper.

3 Likes

I doubt it is cheaper for you to do it yourself than a warranty repair. That should be free?

4 Likes

Which, unfortunately, the shop knows, due to your location. That really sucks. Sorry to hear this happened.

4 Likes