Fender is overrated/overpriced (Calling Mustang owners for opinion)

Sorry if this has been addressed already, I am just catching up with the thread after a day off due to a tooth extraction.
But
There has to be some sort of rules for returning something that is obviously broken, either they need to take it back, and deal with Fender themselves, or they need to fix it for you.
They can’t really just sell you something that does not live up to the description. And if they won’t, they should at least give you back 50% of the money since they sold you 50% of a bass.

2 Likes

Yes, it is true, the Ray4, for $299, with the excellent fit and finish, and overall quality of the most budget line bass, certainly raises the bar for others.

If Fender can’t pay attention to details like this, and they can allow their quality to be far outshined by budget line basses from other brands, then, no, sorry to say, they are not worth it in my opinion either.

2 Likes

Indeed. Especially as we now have a few reports of people getting them with wonky pots, new.

This is all adding up to the common advice: be very wary of buying a new instrument sight unseen.

With a used instrument the risk is much lower because it’s already at a used price, so you can resell it, or in extremis work with the auction site and/or paypal etc to cancel.

With a new instrument you are at the mercy of the manufacturer quality control. Some brands are pretty famously good for this. Apparently Fender is not one of them.

With new instruments you get a warranty, which is awesome - if you can use it.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I think Fender/Squier do rely a bit on exactly what I did and just accepted the basses issues which in itself is totally unacceptable

2 Likes

See, you are part of the problem @Mac , be part of the solution.

Yeah, totally agree, OR people that know their Fenders, know they are going to be replacing the pick ups and pots to get what they want, and Fender probably rely’s on that too, otherwise, they would probably put out models with decent or good pick ups in them at the go, instead of the Fender mediocre at best pick ups.

Thing is, I don’t look for a brand new top line bass (so called top line) to mod, I look for the budget models to mod, and it is sad if the modded budget models are better than the stock top line ones. Ok, that might be a stretch, I would assume that a MIA Fender would be better than a budget bass with things other then the electronics, at least I would hope.

2 Likes

Exactly right @T_dub
In the end I couldn’t live with it and sold it on to a guy who really loved it warts and all.
To be honest I bought it mail order and couldn’t be bothered sending it back. The small loss I took on it was the equivalent of the return postage

1 Like

Yeah, I get that, I was just playing around with you, about being the problem and all.

2 Likes

I’m beginning to think that Fender has a bit of a dud with the Player Mustang. When they came out with the Player series a few years ago, they refreshed the line and it was an improvement over the Mexican Standard. One of the things they did was come out with Alnico pickups, which are very good. The Jazz, P, and Jaguar all got them, and they are very nice pickups.

The Mustang did not, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they went cheap on those and the electronics, because my pots on my Player instruments are all fine.

No mistake, it’s a miss on Fender’s part. My instruments are solid, almost as if they had different parts. I would put my Jazz up against an American Standard. It’s really good. Clearly the Mustang isn’t up to snuff

2 Likes

Didn’t you just decide to return a Jaguar?
And get a Squire?
Or am I confusing you and somebody else, that was a long time ago, like a whole 120 minutes, so I am a little fuzzy on the details by now :wink::joy:

I get your point, and in all honesty, I shouldn’t really be talking about it, cuz my perspective is as an onlooker, just hearing things from others, I only have one squire, and it’s older. No Fenders.

My opinion on Brand Loyalty is not really changed either way, but I lack ownership experience, and am nothing near an authoritative figure on the matter.

That said, MM and SBMM from BFR to Ray 4, seem to have their shit together.
Again, I only speak of stingrays, and don’t know about all products

1 Like

I did get a Squire, but I plan to change out the electronics and pickup, bridge and tuners, so it will be pretty modified and really a different conversation. The bass exists to be modded. I was thinking about the Ray 4 mod, and that will probably still happen, but I was excited about the Jag mod.

I am returning a Jaguar. It looks great, the fit and finish are fantastic, pots feel great and work, front and rear pickups sound good.

The outside screws on the split pickups keep lossening up, so it forms a V and almost hits the strings. Had to tighten them 3 times so far in the month it’s been here. I almost opened up the bass to see what is going on but I don’t know I want to mess with it. With GC, once those 45 days are up, they’re up. I am 25 days in. They want me to bring it in.

If I had bought the thing at Sweetwater, I would have two years to figure it out. But GC, 45 days. I don’t know I will have a chance to drive into Seattle the next couple weeks to pick it up. What if it’s chronic?

I love how the Jag feels and sounds. It has a Jazz neck which I love, and I have 2 other Jazzes. And the Aerodyne will be a third Jazz. And the Sire will be a fourth Jazz. See the pattern?
And they all sound different

If I had more time to work out the issue I would keep it.

3 Likes

Yeah, I get it, and, yes, that Squire Jag is a perfect mod bass, especially at that price tag, and I perfectly understand and get what you are doing.

It was more to the point of the issue with your Fender, and what the thread is about.
You SHOULD NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE WITH A FENDER.
OR ANY BASS OVER $750 for that matter. Not when the mass produced $249 and $299 Basses consistently pump out Basses that are well put together out of the box ( baring possibly needing a set up, but I would let Fender pass on that too)

Also, this whole thread is obviously about perspective, and feelings are very subjective.

I don’t expect I, or anyone else will change the mind of any Fender fans.

It is unfortunate they let stuff like this out, especially to first time buyers.
They should make sure the lower priced instruments get out perfect, cuz often they are the buyers first fender, and they should feel rewarded for stepping up to Fender from Squire or whatever else. At least that is how I view it, and if I ran it, I would pay especially close attention to lower models.

Somebody buying the top line Basses is already Brand Loyal, and probably would overlook any little inconveniences, knowing they will get sorted out.

Also, Fender should bend over backwards to do the same to sort out issues on the MIM and lower priced MIA as well

2 Likes

I’m in the negative value camp. no matter what it is, if 95% of the people love something I’m probably in the 5% :joy:

4 Likes

I’m a Fender Fan Boi, don’t get me wrong, but I hope I’m not an unrealistic fan. Not trying to defend them.

But I’ve had a component failure on an Ibanez which was not a cheap bass. These things shouldn’t happen, but they do. And it’s not just Fender.

The shops are also at fault. GC gives me 45 days to return/repair/get technical help. The OP was pretty much told he was outa luck by his vendor. That’s as much a problem as the deal with Fender.

Sweetwater warranties their basses for 2 years. The Ibby had a component failure, Tech support called me back and we did trouble shooting, didn’t fix it. They sent out Fedex to pick it up.

And talked about options for replacement as they were out of the model I purchased. And Ibanez offered to send me a replacement, which I might have taken but it was already on the way back. that is how it should be handled.

I did not contact Fender, I will and see how they react and will be interesting, just to see.

I guess my point is the retail establishments are also part of the problem. As much as the manufacturer.

4 Likes

This is true. In fact. On a bass of this price range, many quality establishments would have done a setup and test on it before sending it out. Hell, that was even done on my £200 Squier where I bought it. Obviously this would have caught the faults before it got sent.

4 Likes

Absolutely, I am not saying just Fender, as I said in my last post, anything $750 and up should be held to a different standard IMO.

Agreed

2 Likes

Re the screws @Wombat-metal . Might some thread lock or even superglue solve the issue?

1 Like

Teflon tape even, so it comes apart easier

1 Like

Good point @T_dub

1 Like

@T_dub Yes well basically the end of this is that I kinda solved pup imbalance in sound even tho J is now right up against strings. Regarding pots, they have just told thats how they are on entire lineup. So I have nothing to complain to them anymore. Its just how Fender deals because they consider this instrument entry level.

So yeah I have put it already on sale and will avoid buying any Fender new or online unseen.
Will try to get myself Sire or Sandberg if I successfully sell it. Even these smaller fret distances are wierding me out. I thought Ill have easier time playing shortie. Only thing I didnt have in my arsenal is P pup.

SBMM spoiled me, so I sent them praiseworthy email yesterday after this fiasco. They were very happy about my opinion.

2 Likes

As am I :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes