Fender Rumble 40 issue?

Hey guys, I hope someone can help me with my question.
I recently upgraded from a Rumble 25 to a Rumble 40 but im having an issue with it. Sometimes when I turn it on ( and sometimes after a few minutes of light playing at mid volume and mid gain) the amp starts to make noise. A loud , static like , noise that actually drowns out the actual sound from my bass. I can move all the knobs on my amp , turn it off/on, turn the knobs on my bass and it makes no difference to the static noise.
The only way i can get rid of it is to actually turn off the amp and wait a good 5, 10 minutes for it to “cool off”
Any help is appreciated in understanding what is going on.

2 Likes

If you can somehow rule out your cable and bass, then I’d say you have a warranty issue.

3 Likes

I used to have a Rumble 40 (now have a Rumble 100) and did not have any issues like what you’re describing. It was a great amp.

I would follow @John_E 's advice: rule out the bass and the cable, and get your amp warrantied. Exchanged, even, if it’s a recent enough purchase.

3 Likes

Do you have your computer or phone hooked up to the amp via the input jack? I had an issue with my rumble 200 having a hum when I had it hooked up to my computer. I had to get a hum canceler to make it go away. This is the one I purchased.

Ive also read that sometimes the 60hz hum from the house electrical can effect the amp. I haven’t used this one, but something like it.

1 Like

@ofwolfandman if it was something like that, it would manifest itself immediately when the amp is switched on. In this case, it starts happening after a while, and goes away after the amp has been switched off for a while. That’s probably an issue with the amp itself.

4 Likes

Any florescent lights nearby?

1 Like

Does it happen when the bass is unplugged? Are you sure the amp is grounded properly?

2 Likes

No, no flourecent lights at all

2 Likes

I havent tried to reproduce it with my bass unplugged, and how do I know if is properly grounded? I had no issues whatsoever with the Rumble v25.
Now that I think of it, sometimes when I play I can hear a significant pop/crack when i’m fretting the E string and then play the open E, I thought it was my technique not muting properly but now im not sure…

Could my cable cause issues? Maybe it is low quality? I got it when i purchased the amp and never thought about it…

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestions , i will look to see if Im properly grounded

2 Likes

I never had any issues with my v25 and i used the same bass and cable.

2 Likes

First question would be if you are plugging it in to a grounded outlet, or just using a two-prong cable adapter?

Trying it without the bass and cable will help isolate where the problem is.Next time it happens try unplugging the cable from the amp and see if it persists.

2 Likes

It just happened, i unplugged the bass and it persists

3 Likes

Fender simply sends you another one. Then you have to smash the one you have cause they don’t value it enough to send it back for repair. True story. They had me smash a faulty Rumble Studio 40.

3 Likes

Is your gain knob too high?

1 Like

Do you have to post a video to social media? You know, like when Gibson ran over all their guitars with an excavator?

3 Likes

No but they do ask for pics. Lolol

1 Like

Definitely something wrong with the amp itself then, yeah.

3 Likes

Oh. I like this. The morley one, i mean. I are has been an electrishunist for a day or three, and this thing is money. I just put one my cart. Thank you for the heads up @ofwolfandman !

Welcome @jonssen02 !