First Concert / Last Concert

Oh hell yes! If you get a chance to see his big band Christmas show — GO! It’s amazing. Best house sound I have ever heard.
First concert: KISS 1977 at the Omni in Atlanta. Cheap Trick opened. They had just come back from Budokan …
Last real concert: Lake Street Dive at the NC Museum of Art before they hit really big.
Best concerts: They Might Be Giants, many, many times. Always an amazing show.
Lately: only local bands in small venues with outdoor seating and drinks on tap

2 Likes

How were they? We have tickets to see them in DC. Looking forward to it.

4 Likes

My very first concert was Megadeth in Stuttgart, Germany. Must have been on the Youthanasia support tour, so something like '94 / '95. I can’t remember what the opening act was, I just remember that back then, I was glad that White Zombie did not open for them in Germany like in the USA, because I hated them.

Incidentally, White Zombie became one of my favourite bands something like 2 years later, and still is to this day.

My last concert: Nine Inch Nails in Berlin, which was awesome as usual. I tend to go to every NIN concert that is anywhere near me, so I am basically a fanboy and a review from me is basically useless.

3 Likes

Reznor is definitely one of my musical heroes. Pretty Hate Machine was amazing when it released. I was deep in to both what the kids today call Dark Synthwave, and also (even more) electroindustrial at the time (I still am, but I was back then too :slight_smile:) and that release was really spot on in a lot of ways.

4 Likes

First time I saw NIN was at a fairly small venue in Rochester, NY.
The opening act was an (at the time) unknown band called Marilyn Manson.
Marilyn Manson was horrible, like, really really horrible.

5 Likes

I was never a fan of Manson. I always found his style of kind of pop industrial metal to be kind of off-putting - bearing in mind I was coming at it from the industrial and industrial metal side. Stuff like “Beautiful People” just seemed made for radio/MTV to me.

My opinion is probably not popular there though, and he was produced/mixed by Dave Ogilvie (Skinny Puppy) and Reznor, after all. Just my personal opinion.

4 Likes

I’ll take this version over his any day…

2 Likes

First: The Stranglers Nov 1979 at The Rainbow Theatre
Last: The Stranglers Feb 2022 at Brixton Academy

7 Likes

Absolutely amazing. I’ve seen Lake Street Dive three times now. Rachael Price has the power of Janice Joplin with the smoothness of Julie London. The band is tight, tight, tight, and are clearly having a blast on stage. I haven’t seen them since McDuck left, so I don’t know who is on guitar. Their bass player, Bridget Kearney, is a monster and a true joy to watch.

4 Likes

First is probably The Moody Blues about 1981. I had seen performances before (Like a field trip to see Beatlemania in the '70s), but buy tickets of my own volition and go to an event, Moody Blues. Most recent was McCartney for the first concert in Sacramento’s new Golden One Center. Most seen is probably still BB King.

5 Likes

1974ish, Hawkwind, not because I liked them, but we thought the dancer was a stripper.
2017, The Who. Possibly my last ever big gig. I cannot ever see that gig being beaten. Still enjoy pub bands though.

3 Likes

I suppose I should mention some of the other concerts I’ve been to (in between my first and last concerts and all at The Spectrum in Philadelphia early 1970’s) . . . :slight_smile:

Lynyrd Skynyrd“Free Bird”

West, Bruce and Laing“Why Dontcha”

Foghat“Fool for the City”

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Saxon, Hammersmith Odeon, December 19, 1980.
Inglorious, A New Day Festival, Faversham, Kent, August 22, 2021

I like music from most, if not all, genres but the first and last gig are basically metal acts and I love that. My bother who I see most concerts with, had to forgo Saxon as my cousin Ian was visiting so I went to London with Ian.

No issue, but my brother’s first concert was Black Sabbath a month later, on the Heaven and Hell tour with Ronnie James Dio, and I think that’s somewhat cooler.

3 Likes

Iron Maiden, 1992, Toronto, Ontario
Iron Maiden, 2011, Warsaw, Poland

I sense a pattern here :smiley:

4 Likes

First: I thought it was 1988, but Google tells me it was 12 November 1989 - Pixies at Foellinger Auditorium in Urbana, IL.

Last: Nation of Language on 14 October 2021 officially at the Crocodile (but wasn’t) in Seattle.

Both were incredibly good shows and I smile just thinking about them.

Next: Wet Leg in Seattle later this month.

edit to adjust date to the proper year!

4 Likes

Found the time traveler.

2 Likes

First concert: Heart, 25 February 1986, Hartford, CT

Last concert: They Might Be Giants, 6 February 2020, New Haven, CT
(where they performed Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love - backwards - live! They Might Be Giants performs Sapphire Bullets of Love backwards! - YouTube)

3 Likes

Just to be clear, they performed it backwards on stage - playing and singing backwards. This video is running backwards - so you are hearing it forwards from their backwards performance. Clear? :laughing:

2 Likes

Ha, 2021, of course! Oops.

1 Like

David Lynch used this technique in Twin Peaks (my most favorite thing of ever) when people talked in the “Red Room” to get the super eeire effect.

How it was shot…

Final product…

1 Like