First Concert / Last Concert

Saxon concerts were always a great night out

1 Like

Lots of shows/games seen at the Spectrum too! AC/DC, Priest, Ozzy, Maiden… I’m sure there are others, but specifics are … fuzzy. :slight_smile: You from the area?

3 Likes

Yes, @skydvr . . . I lived in the Delaware Valley and Northeast areas for much of my life: MA, PA, and NJ and was an Eagles and Phillies fan :slight_smile:

I heard that The Spectrum was shutdown, but don’t have any specifics.

Then I retired and moved down here to Virginia . . . yee-haw! :grin: No more snow shoveling for me!

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

First was probably Elvin Bishop at a teen club thing when I was 16 or so. First ‘real’ concert was probably Chicago in San Jose. Terry Kath was such an underrated guitarist. And he could sing like no one’s business too. And let’s not forget Peter Cetera on bass. Awesome show.

Last… Rick Wakeman a couple of weeks ago in San Francisco. A few weeks before that it was Tool in Sacramento.

Upcoming… Mogwai, Steve Hackett, The Pineapple Thief, Santana, Sigur Ros, and Porcupine Tree in September. Whew.

4 Likes

First concert- Angels when I was approx 18
Last Concert -2018 Icehouse (Flowers) at Fremantle Prison best acoustic sound ever.
Best concert-1999 approx Rose Tattoo, Angels and The Poor couldn’t hear properly for 2 days later. Was an awesome concert to watch
All Australian Bands

5 Likes

Hum I think my 1st concert was Billy Idol.
My last convert was Elton John during his Yellow Brick Road farewell tour. By far the best singer I’ve ever seen live!

4 Likes

First concert waz Bob Seger with my dad. I had come home from school and he had won concert tickets on the radio. Would’ve been super early 00’s, and I was probably a high school freshman.

We went to several concerts together when until I moved out for college. He went with me a few years ago to a show, but its physically hard on him to go now.

Last concert was the Foo Fighters make up date in 2018. Also definitely the band I’ve seen the most. Had tickets to see them again this year, but Taylor departed this world for the next.

I’ve been very fortunate to see a good amount of shows between those two from McCartney at Bonnaroo to supporting friends playing their first shows.

I’m hoping to see the Chili Peppers when they come later this year. I haven’t scene a show at a larger outdoor stadium, so it should be fun.

4 Likes

My first concert was Joe Satriani at the Bronco Bowl in Dallas. Second was either Natalie Merchant or 10,000 maniacs. Not sure if she was solo by that time or still with the band, don’t remember where in Dallas it was, we sat on blankets on the grass.

2 Likes

Michael Jackson, Bad World Tour, early May 1988 - Minneapolis, MN. As a first concert, it kind of mis-calibrated my brain on what production values should look like at a concert!

Cory Wong, Feb 17 in Madison, WI HIGH energy funk!

Edit: Oh wait, I forgot about Scott Bradlee’s Postmodern Jukebox on March 9. Super fun show - modern covers in vintage styles anchor the show but there are also just hilarious, fun nonsense like a Swedish blonde bombshell tapdancing while playing a trombone - and doing it well!

2 Likes

Last concert in 30 minutes.

6 Likes

The report is that is was just fabulous. One of the best shows I’ve ever seen. If you are a Sting fan, I can recommend trying to get to Vegas. The audio system is pristine. The entire backdrop and front is projection mapped with beautiful eye candy tastefully done. He sings every word like it’s the best he ever sang it. Not only Domenic, but also his son Rufus is on guitar. Just too good.

7 Likes

My first live concert was Queen in 1986, supported by the Bangles, Chris Rea and the Fountainhead. It gave me a taste for gigs that remains undiminished to this day.

My last gig was the Script. Not my usual genre but they were actually amazingly good live.

My next gig is Guns n Roses on June 28th. Originally scheduled for 2020, this gig has been rescheduled twice due to COVID. With Slash and Duff both onboard for the tour I couldn’t resist the opportunity.

3 Likes

i was trying to explain to my wife (who is ten years younger than me and didn’t really go to see any kind of “rock” music live before she met me) about how much concerts have changed since i was a kid. we were able to have a conversation at more or less normal speaking volumes during the alison krauss/robert plant show last week. sound reinforcement has gotten not only magnitudes better in large shows over the years but so much quieter too. you no longer need multiple refrigerator size amps on stage being overdriven to make sure row zz can hear you. now every hall has overhead monitors all the way to the back. the days of having your hearing feel like you were swimming underwater for a week after a concert are long gone, which is a good thing. unless of course you’re going to some punk rock show with 20 people in a dingy little bar somewhere. the last time i did one of those, it was waayyy to painful to stay for more than a few songs.

2 Likes

Every time I saw Pink Floyd they were like that, admittedly a small sample but if the audience cheered you couldn’t hear the band, so we stayed quiet. But they always sounded great

2 Likes

When was that? Cuz the 60s/early 70s the opposite was true, amps were too small to be heard.

2 Likes

80s/90s. Even Roger on his solo tours around 96

3 Likes

yeah, that’s about when i first started to notice the quiet concert phenomenom

2 Likes

Trying to remember ones that were stand-out loud. So many were too loud. Ironically I think one of the worst was Cocteau Twins. Cocteau Twins can be incredibly bad live; Liz is either having a good day or she isn’t. Everyone becomes enthralled with their music due to her vocals on album, but live it’s just not that way. She was horribly mixed and so bad on the day I saw them, and mixed so loud to the point of being painful to listen to, that I actually walked out. One of my favorite bands too, bummer :slight_smile:

The guy running the board that night - should be canned

4 Likes

Herman’s Hermits 1966 (I think it was) last one so far was Alice Cooper (again) and Blue Oyster Cult (again)

4 Likes

I love that BOC is still touring.

2 Likes