Five string recommendations

I’ve been playing on my four string basses for awhile now. However, I am being asked to play several songs now that require me to hit that low Eb or below. Moving up an octave just doesn’t work. I am looking at a five string Fender Precision, but I thought I would ask the group first on recommendations. Thanks, Brian

2 Likes

That is a tricky one, Brian! I guess it depends a bit on whether you have the budget for several basses or not, but let’s just say for the time being you’d want to stick to one of each (4 string and 5 string). I personally would then try to find a 5-string that is complementary in style to what I already have, i.e., not the exact same bass model/type with just an extra string added. In that way, you’d get a different type bass to choose for certain songs according to style, not just when you need a low D or so.
Do you have a music store close by where you could test a few different models? I heard (but am not 100% sure) that the low B string might sounds differently depending on the scale of the bass (i.e. how many frets there are). So, while this is probably more aesthetic or depending on personal taste, this might also play in.
Good luck and please share your experiences in finding the perfect 5 for you!

1 Like

Good suggestions. Thanks. I am planing to check out some basses at my Sam Ash store before I make any decision. I will certainly share my experiences with the group. -Brian

1 Like

What’s your price range on the bass?
I would recommend trying many as many five strings as you can and so you can see what you like. Sire basses are not bad if you are on a budget. I have the Sire M2 and it’s pretty nice. Although lately i have GAS for a Dingwall bass. Your personal taste might be different

1 Like

I really only like 5-strings that have an extra long scale length. The Fender 5 strings, in my experience, were pretty flubby on that low B. Ibanez had some nice thumpy 5 strings that were affordable - so did Peavey… not sure what else is available, but make sure you play tons and tons of 'em!!

2 Likes

Yes I am going to check out as many as possible. I am willing to spend around $800. Your recommendations are helpful. I am also looking at a Warwick.

1 Like

I would definitely include the Yamaha TRBX##5 series (## = a bunch of different numbers; probably going up along with the price of the bass) in your search. I don’t know how easy they are to find in the US, but Yamaha makes great basses for different budgets. One other thing you might consider is to get one that lets you switch between active and passive mode. My five string is only active, which is somewhat limiting and can be challenging when the battery starts to fade while you play…

1 Like

Solid basses! I like their 5 Strings. Plenty of definition and tension in their low Bs!

2 Likes

What kind of music are you needing those low notes in? That would inform my choice of 5-string a lot. I would just see what players in that style are playing, and then copy cat! (as long as I liked playing the bass enough, I guess)

3 Likes

OK. To follow up on my 5 string choice, it was the Yamaha TRBX 305 series. I played this bass as well as several others at Sam Ash before deciding. Very pleased. However, this does not replace my four strings. I still prefer my 4-strings over the 5. However, I chose using a 5-string because of some of the songs I play are written for a 5 string. ie: Nightwish- Ghost Love Score: et al.

6 Likes

Congratulations, @bsickels - very nice axe! And, yes, it shouldn’t replace your 4-string - it also probably has a very different “native” sound. As my bass repair man always stresses: “We are not allowed to have several wives, but it’s OK to own a bunch of basses…” :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Nice @bsickels!

And lol @joergkutter :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

My wife says it is my fifth girlfriend. LOL. This is my fifth bass.

4 Likes

I went from a four to a five string about 10 years ago and never looked back. I doubt I could play a four string now without ending up one string off just from muscle memory. I found that a five string allowed me to play the lower notes but it also gave me a fast shortcut without sliding down the neck. sped things up quite a bit. Additionally, I have more room to walk around in the same general area of the neck. I said all that to say this, You may discover after playing the five for a while that you don’t pick up the four much any more. I didn’t. No sacrilege intended…

4 Likes

Congrats.

I only played a 4 string for a few weeks before I sold it and switched to 5 string. Now I have two 5 strings, one fretted and one fretless.

I could play a 4 string again if I had to, but I’m so used to that B string being there, it would be hard to get used to not having it.

2 Likes

I had a 5 for a while but I generally found I was either playing songs that used the B string, or songs that used the G string. Songs that used both were rare for me. And meanwhile, I just did not like the 5 string feeling - strings too close together for me, etc.

So I sold the 5, bought a second bass, strung it in BEAD, and am happy as a clam :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s an acquired taste :smiley_cat:

I guess the difference for me is that I learned to play bass from the ground up on a 5 string and it’s very natural for me.

3 Likes

Yeah, wasn’t for me. I gave it a couple months.

3 Likes

I acquired it pretty quickly…

3 Likes

For any gear change, I’ve noticed that I work very much on an application / need-to-use basis. I went to a 5 string because I was playing in groups and situations that needed that low note option. I had to work at. Once I had the tool figured out, it was there, and I started to see different ways it could come in handy, options, fingering variations, etc.
But that initial hump I only cleared due to necessity.
I’m the same with pedals and effects and amp choices. I make the change and learn the new tool when I have to.
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but dang is it true in my world.

4 Likes