Five string recommendations

I was also considering the Shecter CV-5. It has some cool tone switching options but it weighed more and I’m getting old.

Ultimately I settled on Yamaha because I couldn’t find a negative review ANYWHERE.

1 Like

I have never heard anyone complain about a Yammie

I got the cherry red one. It came with a white pick guard, which I didn’t like, so I bought a black one from Yamaha. It looks much better IMO

2 Likes

I looked everywhere. Read all the buyer reviews on sweetwater, on guitar center, I even went and read reviews on talkbass. I looked all over youtube, nothing. That’s impressive because people can usually find something to gripe about.

2 Likes

I had a fender P that I did the exact same thing on. I get it. A white pick guard just makes it look like a toy IMHO

1 Like

Is there a way to have a conversation with other forum members without posting irrelevant posts on a forum?

1 Like

Private messages, but something like this I’d rather discuss openly in case other members are curious.

1 Like

True. Lol. I just had a banner pop up inviting me to send you a personal message. Question answered. Anyhow, I just want a way to pick someones brain without laboring the forum if there is a lot of activity. Nothing worse than 5 conversations on 5 topics in the same forum at the same time.

1 Like

I’m reading, taking notes and looking up models and comparisons :slight_smile: It’s terrific to hear what the gear hounds find.

3 Likes

If you don’t want an active preamp option the 435 seems like a nice upgrade from the 235.

The 734/735 is the one I would go for personally, but I want active/passive.

Bottom line is they are all great though.

1 Like

My new BB435 arrived today

5 Likes

I love the through-body thing on the 435 and 735. Is it optional on the 435 too? The 735 has a bimodal bridge that can be either through-body or not, depending on the sound you want.

3 Likes

Yes, the 435 is either way also.

3 Likes

Nice! It sounds pretty similar to a passive-only 735.

3 Likes

There are a few other differences but that’s basically what it is, a 735 without a pre amp. On the 7, the body is ash over maple I think, where as the 4 is ash. Also the pick ups are upgraded a notch on the 7, the bridge piece is upgraded a notch as well.

3 Likes

Interesting. So it might actually be lighter than the 735.

I liked the 734 a lot but it is definitely heavy compared to my trbx.

3 Likes

I think for my next bass, I will get a beat up salvage unit and rescue it from impending doom. I think it would be interesting, not to mention educational to bring one back to life from the ground up.

3 Likes

I put some mileage on the BB435 today. I’ve been an Ibanez player for years but the Yamaha is growing on me like an untreated fungus. My Sweetwater sales engineer said that Yamaha boxes in a higher weight class than it’s price would suggest and I believe he is right.

2 Likes

I may have to sell an Ibanez and get a BB735 next

2 Likes