Flat wound vs round wound strings

:rofl::rofl::joy::joy:

Hell, whatever works!!

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

8 Likes

I always know itā€™s going to be a great day when our submariner friend from the south surfaces and fires a shot over the bow.
Good so see you Lanny @Lanny

7 Likes

Guess it was about time to surface a bit for the summer - too damn hot outside to do anything other than sit around in the heat and drink beerā€¦. So,ā€¦. Insteadā€¦.

I decided to just come inside, drink whisky, and make a nuisance of myself! :joy::joy::joy:

Actually it is getting to do much of anything outside down here until the fall months when things cool back down so I guess Iā€™ll try to spend a bit more time over the next three or four months learning how to play bass againā€¦.

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

8 Likes

Lanny @Lanny Iā€™d be right pleased to see you on our next live hang. Itā€™s always been a joy to have you on them in the past. @John_E is organizing the next one, and he should be announcing a date soon.

5 Likes

I went and did it. Ordered two sets of Labella flats, 1954 original version. My Jazz is going Motown. And probably my SR600E when it gets here.

5 Likes

Keep in mind they are THIIIICK. You may need a little nut widening.

Enjoy playing in the snake pit!

3 Likes

I hope you like those 1954s. I found them to be a bit thick for my liking and returned them to Amazon. Perhaps I should have given them more time.
Iā€™ll be interested to see what you think of them.

2 Likes

Yup. Happen to have a spare nut for a Jazz in the house. Came across that when I took my old Jazz to BEAD tuning. I picked it the nut in case I wanted to switch back.

I have Emory boards at home to adjust the nut if needed

4 Likes

I have a Gretsch short scale just like yours (except walnut finish) that I fitted with La Bella Deep Talkinā€™ Bass 760FL-S flats and I love the sound and feel.

Of course Iā€™m totally in the flatwound camp - all basses had flatwounds when I learned bass the first time around (half a century ago).

I also have a Swuier PJ and a Sterling Ray 4 that are equipped with La Bella flats.

5 Likes

Great guitar Bill @Lanny ,
Just shows you can shovel anything if you want to step out of the mainstream :joy::rofl::joy:,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Will let you know, may even provide a sound clip if you donā€™t mind my sloppy fretting. My skills donā€™t meet my aspirations yet.

I have a 4 string bass in BEAD at 65-85-105-130 so Iā€™m optimistic I can adjust. Iā€™m pretty excited, this might be my groove. I like the richer tones of the heavier strings but Iā€™m not really playing 5 string music.

But good suggestion to only do one at a time and make sure.

Will let ya know. Itā€™s a journey ainā€™t it?

4 Likes

To me they are a very specific tone.
Vintage Motown.
But thatā€™s what they are all about.
And thatā€™s what the bass they are in is all about.

You wonā€™t be rocking out any death metal on them.

4 Likes

Honest question:. Why does just about every bass ship with rounds? Shouldnā€™t every p bass come with flats? I love my Sterling stingray ss but now Iā€™m wondering if it wouldnā€™t be better with flats? It canā€™t just be a cost thing when quality flats seem to be 30 to 40 bucks?

4 Likes

They buy in bulk via contract and get a discount.

4 Likes

Reckon that shovel bass would come in damn handy in Melbourne at the moment with the weather weā€™re experiencing @Lanny !:joy:
Good to ā€œsee ā€œ you as always

5 Likes

Shovel? Melbourne? Snow?

4 Likes

No mate @MC-Canadastan
Weā€™ve had a heap of rain and high winds.
Iā€™ve got mud piled up against my feed shed door washed down the yard by the rain and at least a dozen trees down.
Having said that we had snow about 5 clicks from here last week

5 Likes

P-bass does not equal Motown. Probably no more common bass in punk than the P-bass. People use them across all styles.

And P-basses sound great (better IMO) with rounds :slight_smile:

Flats make sense for some styles, but lots of players prefer rounds. We did a poll and found that was true for the (large) majority here, and common knowledge is that is true in general. Flats fans are certainly vocal but are not in the majority.

(The real reason no bass ships with flats is that they are more expensive.)

3 Likes

I believe the Steve Harris signature bass comes with flats and he is far from Motown :joy:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve often asked myself the same question. Any bass sounds better with flats, and if the customer wishes to have that bright tone of rounds, they can change them.
Itā€™s unfortunate that new bass players donā€™t discover the wondrous texture and tone of flats until they learn about them on forums such as BassBuzz.

2 Likes