Flat wound vs round wound strings

Steve is like this crazy exception yeah :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I keep trying to emulate his famous gallop and just end up with cramp :joy:

6 Likes

There are great right hand plucking exercises at Lowenduniversity . Com or org or whatever it is that really help with this.
You need to join, and pay the monthly fee, but it is well worth it, even if you just pay for one month. It is $20 well spent IMO.

Once you have an account, you can turn the membership on and off, so only pay the months you use it. When you go back, all your progress is still accounted for.

2 Likes

This is very highly subjective.
And as statistics show, many prefer rounds, for whatever reason. Tone, feel, cost, etcā€¦

Those are3 reasons I highly prefer the rounds. And although flats sound great at times, they sure will not make Any bass, if any at all, sound better to me.
And the numbers tend to favor this point of view.

I love that you love flats, I am so happy they are available for you and countless others that will only play flats, and / or like to have a mix of both, it is truly awesome they are an option.
I just choose to opt out of using flats, and opt in to keeping and continuing to use rounds, and coated rounds.
Coated are more for aesthetics for me, I still favor rounds, even tho coated look so cool

6 Likes

Yeah, that says it pretty well.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll certainly have a look at the lowenduniversity @T_dub :+1:

4 Likes

I keep forgetting itā€™s winter down where you are, @Mac . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Yeah it still freaks me out. Mid winter is August and Christmas in shorts :joy:

5 Likes

If it sounds good, it is good
If it feels good, it is good

This ā€œRound world, flat worldā€ debate seems to endure for eternity.

7 Likes

7 Likes

My mom has a saying, ā€˜there is an ass for every seatā€™.

There are many eternal debates in lifeā€¦
Round/Flat strings
Pepsi/Coke
Toilet Paper Roll Over/Under
Fender/Gibson
The first Darren on Bewitched or the second

Oh wait, its Pepsi, Over, Fender, the first one.
I guess the string debate is really the only eternal oneā€¦. :joy:

All that said, I canā€™t seem to find where the flat earthers should be sitting.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s why we all need 2 identical basses one with rounds and one with flats for the occasion. Well, Iā€™m my case I need 3, I also need a nylon wound one too, or thatā€™s another can of worm, lol.

6 Likes

The only ā€œoccasionā€ I can think of on which a bass with rounds would be handy would be if I was into slapping and wanted a bass that I could beat the crap out of while playing.
But then, it would have to be a bass I donā€™t much care for, and Iā€™d have to name it after one of my exā€™s.

6 Likes

I do have a harmonic, which is apparently impossible to play and I am not spending $200 to see if the B2B Harmonica course works, but now I have ideas for names for it.

5 Likes

I do like rounds on more hard rock stuff.
Working on a KISS cover and its def rounds for sure.

What I do find really interesting is Rocco Prestia of Tower of Power played rounds, but man does he ever sound like flats

4 Likes

Record a sample of the Kiss cover with flats and listen to it. You may be surprised.

4 Likes

Only ā€œShovelā€ you really need @Mac would be a ā€˜66 Shovelhead!!!. Hell, Iā€™d like one myself!!

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

5 Likes

One of my riding buddies here in the Phoenix area has a shovel for sale, but Iā€™m not sure of the year. You want me to find out?

6 Likes

When it comes to ā€œShovelheadsā€, the year is most definitely the factorā€¦. Pre 1969 - before the AMF mergerā€¦

5 Likes

Now weā€™re talking my language :sunglasses:
Iā€™d love one even in pieces. A good restoration is food for the soul .

5 Likes