Flat wound vs round wound strings

Pick a genre of music, and I will pick a band (metal? Incubus) who sound just fine with flats. True in some genres rounds are more prevelant, but no genre is pure rounds. Or flats

Sorry for the previous abrupt post, kind of crabby tonight.

5 Likes

Understandably, given your bass has been kidnapped :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you for that @Wombat-metal

3 Likes

This is like mountain bike flats vs clip in, lol. Who rides here?

2 Likes

I am just playing along, in good fun. Personally, IDK for flats, and IDK if anybody uses flats or rounds.
Other then I prefer to use rounds, I donā€™t really have a firm position on this.
I donā€™t prefer to play flats, but I can. It is not as comfortable for me to play, but it is not painful.
I do understand people having issues with rounds due to finger tip pain, however, my choice is to build huge callouses and be immune to it.
That said, I think the callouses do make me less keen on flats.

If the discussion is on, I am going to keep being my cynical, smart ass self, all in good fun, with no intentions of harming or insulting anybody, or their right to choose and prefer whatever they want.

4 Likes

Love my flats . Canā€™t stand the whole Kiss empire lol
And as for Pepsi/ Coke the correct answer is grape Fanta which Iā€™ve only ever seen in Japan :thinking:

5 Likes

Agree, and if ever there was, somebody would come along and prove everybody wrong, and then be an iconic figure in that genre.

3 Likes

Yep, pretty much the same here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh man grape soda is super good, and here it is actually sweetened with grape juice.

3 Likes

Itā€™s the bees knees @howard

3 Likes

Sorry if my claws came out there, Iā€™m okay now.

I have nothing against rounds other than they fell like corduroy under my fingertips, which gives me shivers. If it wasnā€™t for that, Iā€™d play them.
I choose flats because they feel good to me, and IMO sound just as good as rounds and I feel I can play any genre of music I want with them.

I just wish people would just understand, the round / flat thing is a personal choice, and you can be a bad ass bassist with either.

4 Likes

Oh no you didnā€™t! Dr Pepper all the way.

Regardless of flats or rounds if you have one and suddenly discovered the magic of the others it gets expensive really quickly lol.

I play them all but I donā€™t play heavy gauge like 130+ The tension kills me.

5 Likes

A 0.130 B string is perfect. A 0.130 E string - thatā€™s gonna require a good truss rod.

4 Likes

Never, ever, ever have i even come close to saying anything like that.
My beef with flats, for ME and only ME, is I donā€™t like the feel or the added, clakety clack that I get when playing super fast and aggressive songs.
As far as tone, I probably couldnā€™t do a blind test and tell the flats and rounds apart with two identical basses and rig set ups. My ear is not that good.
I could train my ear to hear it, but I donā€™t often sit side by side with two identical basses, going back and forth to hear the difference.

I do have 3 Stingrays, one with rounds, one with coated rounds and one with flats.
All 3 basses are very different in their own right, so I canā€™t even say I can do a side by side with identical basses, although I could come close, but in the end, I donā€™t really care. I play what feels right to me, and I hope everybody else does too. If you donā€™t, please, please, please donā€™t torture yourself, thinking you NEED one or the other to play what you want to play.

Donā€™t suffer thru unnecessary pain if your fingers hurt with rounds.
If you have naturally rugged hands, and work alot with your hands, maybe your donā€™t feel as good on flats, like me, and in that case, donā€™t struggle with flats because you think you need them to play Motown, or another style, or even because your bass Idol plays flats, but you donā€™t jive with them.
This should be fun people.
I am all up for the occasional Jab, and witty one liners back and forth, to a complete satirical post, but it is all in the name of fun and friendly debate, nothing more.
I do feel that there has been alot of arguments, beyond the fun jabbing going on a bit lately.
I wouldnā€™t suggest to stop talking about things, but I would suggest that we think of everybody else when posting and try to keep it light and fun.

6 Likes

Pure Satire.

4 Likes

I know, I picked up a deluxe dimension, the seller sold it for cheap, complaining that the action was way too high and thereā€™s no fixing it.

After diagnosed the problem I swapped out the string that bass came back to life.

4 Likes

YES!!!

1 Like

Ohhhh. I want to play one of those. I have not considered buying any cuz they are always over $600 when I see them on Offer Up, and I have not played one before, but I would sure love to get my hands on one and noodle for a bit.

3 Likes

Kirin makes a cola here that is kind of like a cross between Dr. Pepper and Coke. Itā€™s awesome too. Also grape juice for sweetener.

One really awesome thing about soda outside the US is that no one else uses corn syrup to sweeten. Itā€™s part of why Jarritos is so good.

2 Likes

Two words - Mr. Pibb

3 Likes