Flat wound vs round wound strings

You kind of have to when you are locked up. I guess some people get too used to it inside, so when they get outside, they do the same.
That pic doesn’t necessarily look outside tho.

Oh, you will be taken seriously

2 Likes

Trust me, if i was in that scenario, I would not be critiquing anyone’s footwear….

5 Likes

It was that way for me with mandolin.

3 Likes

Or dropping my soap in the shower :joy:

3 Likes

Worst Dr. Seuss book ever!

12 Likes

You know I love my Fender Flats. Not so much for the feel, although they do feel awesome under my fingers. But because they were the sound I heard in my head when I started to want to play bass.

4 Likes

Same here. Maybe it’s because of my age, but to my ears, flats sound like a bass is supposed to sound. Thump, thump, thud, slide, thump, thump… The smooth as glass texture is a bonus (unless you’re @howard and they stick to your fingers, :smiley_cat: ).

4 Likes

I have rounds on my LTD but am seriously considering getting some LTF’s or tapewound just to see how they sound and play on that instrument. The Fender flats sound awesome on the Jazz and that is what I play the most. I think I would like the LTD better with flats and play it much more often.

2 Likes

I’ve played tapes and love the way they sound. I have the D’Addario black nylon tapes, which look striking on my black Frank Bello ESP.

1 Like

I figured they would look awesome on my LTD B50. And to be honest, sometimes I am swayed by what looks cool. (I think we all are to some degree)

3 Likes

Just keep in mind tapes have a sound all their own, and are not what I would call 'versatile" strings. Fairly specialized in tone, have a listen around online.
I have them on my Fender semi-hollow and LOVE them.

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of Labella’s LTF’s.

4 Likes

I have been struggling with figuring out what stinks about the tone on the JJ Aerodyne, so…
I have put the Rotosound 66 Swing Bass rounds on it (more on that below).

I also redid all the shoddy electronics that had all the, let’s call it ‘implied grounds’ (using the control plate as the ground conduit pot to pot.
There was also something a bit wonky with the bridge. These bridges are set into a routed cavity, so no high mass, Hipshot, etc bridge will work. Thanks to @Al1885 for suggesting KTS bridges, damn these things are nice, simple and LIGHT (Titainium).

Set it up, and …bam…sound is 1000% better all around.

@PamPurrs these strings are cheese graters, fair warning!

@MC-Canadastan / @JDDaniel - yep, need a JJ with rounds for sure, and I really like the tone on these, especially the E string, dang, very clear and deep E. When I get a fiver again, these are going on to try with that B string as well.

So now I have a P, PJ and JJ with both rounds and flats, digging it.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
This one is now officially done!

5 Likes

Me likey tone
Me no likey feel
Me try to get used to feel
Once all the skin has been removed from my fingers, I will resort to wearing a glove.

Thank you @MC-Canadastan for the recommendation.

This is the FIRST time in 2 and 1/2 years of bass playing that I’ve actually put rounds on a bass that I wasn’t getting ready to ship to a buyer. I am actually going to defy tradition and play these.

Just another episode of Pam’s Reality Show for @John_E

5 Likes

@PamPurrs do you use GHS Fast-Fret, if not, get some, it will help a lot.

and I feel ya, my fingers are a bit upset already, they are gonna have to suck it up cause the tone is really good.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of it. What is it exactly?

2 Likes

Never mind, I found it on Amazon and watched the video. I ordered and will have it tomorrow. Thanks @John_E

3 Likes

Music Nomad has similar but it’s a PITA as you have to refill it and it dries out quick so I don’t reco that one.

2 Likes

I have this which is also kind of a PITA. It does a good job of cleaning the strings, but it doesn’t lube the strings like Fast-Fret claims to do.

2 Likes

Yep that’s it. Don’t like that one.

2 Likes