Build your slap bass speed, endurance, and accuracy with Flea’s slap speed drill, + learn how to make your own slap lines RED HOT.
Get the full tab:
If you’re doing the Beginner to Badass course, this lesson would fit after we start slapping in Module 13.
Red Hot Slap Recipes
Here are three stupidly simple recipes to make your own bass lines or bass solos using this drill:
Recipe 1 - STATIC BASS
- Leave all your slaps on the open E string (that’s your static bass)
- Move your pops around a scale of your choice (E minor pentatonic never hurt anybody 😉)
- Play the drill, same rhythm, but randomly pick scale notes for your pops, leaving all the slaps on the open E string
Recipe 2 - MOVING OCTAVES
- Pick a scale again
- Copy the rhythm/pattern from the drill
- Move your slaps around the scale
- Use the octave of whatever note you slapped for your pops
Recipe 3 - BE THE FLEA
Here’s a quick guide on how to use similar drills to develop your own style of playing:
- Come up with your own combination of slaps and pops that lasts one or two bars and sounds cool to you
- Move it around the fretboard, using a scale or any pattern you like the sound of
- Moving around in octaves like in Recipe 2 is an easy way to get started
- Drill up your speed until you sound very impressive and the groupies start melting
Hope you guys enjoyed this one! Am I the only one slightly disoriented by Flea actually wearing a shirt?