For British/Australian/Irish Bassbuzzers only: funny english words!?

Covfefe isn’t all that bad (if you ignore it’s originator) :laughing:

2 Likes

It’s quite at the other end of the Shakespeare spectrum, right? Also my girlfriend definitely would not allow that word on the list BECAUSE - she has standards!

3 Likes

What you need is some Doric words. The whole dialect sounds wonderful. These 3 made a career out of it and other Scots words. It’s so regional that they weren’t as successful on the west coast as they were on the east coast. Scotland is only 154 miles wide (but mostly far less than that).

Scotland The What?

2 Likes

Love everything Scottish - no matter what a Scot says: it’s always funny!

2 Likes

as one does

2 Likes

We need some Canadians to chime in here. I’m married to one, and they’ve got some fun words that seem to be mostly their own. Especially the Newfoundlanders, but they might be close enough to Irish that it might be hard to tell the difference. Americans, being more direct and to the point make better use of acronyms imo. I think something like Fubar and Bohica would fit well on this kind of list.

1 Like

I’m not sure, especially with “Fubar”!

Best is: get drunk and prepare to start a bar fight, using those words - while saying the very same words to your drunk friends as a way to say something nice.

Does it work? We’ll consider putting those words on the list!

It’s not exact science, but this is one way to find out ^^

hahhaha

1 Like

In true BB fashion, I’ll deviate from the initial intent of the thread and post an Americanism for the list:

cattywampus (or catawampus)

2 Likes

Oh, no worries. I just didn’t want to put any American under pressure, because I felt that one need to have a seriously long history to invent, cultivate and reframe such words ^^

Good deal, I didn’t want to discombobulate the readers of this thread. :wink:

EDIT: I didn’t see that discombobulate was already in your list and was attempting to slyly add another Americanism

Discombobulation is the best combobulation, so go on!

Oh, scallywag is another good one

1 Like

That’s an interesting one, as it has a rather innocent british roots … and has changed meaning in the US thereafter. In that respect “Scallywag” is a great metaphor too…

I suppose I should quit lollygagging and get back to work.

1 Like

You are old enough to use the original meaning, right?

1 Like

Of course, what did you think I meant? :wink:

1 Like

You’re welcome :wink:

1 Like

Meh! Google destroys imagination! It feels like you have tindered my word list.

I challenge you to a drunk duel in a bar fight, mophead ^^

EDIT but that list contains some great ones.
Still, I like it when a word has a story behind it. I learned the word “spunk” during my year in Brighton/UK (as well as many other funny words), and consequently had to giggle every time I saw the candy in a store.
But that was before Google destroyed the magic of real life experience…

1 Like

Fair enough, just disregard it then!

Sorry, March was designated no-alcohol month…Catch you later!