For the love of jazz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqw3UNXUdbU

3 Likes

That’s lovely, @booker_t. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the thread, brother. (Checking daily for the custom Mayones drop).

1 Like

It’s gonna be a very long time before Mayones gets to mine. Early next year would be a pleasant surprise.

My dealer has about 16 guitars and basses in his Mayones order queue. He very kindly asked them to put my custom build before any of his previously pending orders. That’s service. I can’t ask for more than that.

1 Like

Big Jazz fan. Some of my favs include…

Love Coltrane so much I named my dog after him. This was the tune that started it all for me.
https://youtu.be/qWG2dsXV5HI

https://youtu.be/oJoSrQ6iP0c

5 Likes

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I played tenor sax in music school for love of Coltrane.

Me and every other sax player, that is.

1 Like

I played tenor sax in highschool too. Because Coltrane, of course.

A little later, I stumbled on these guys. I saw them in Madison WI in late 80s and watched half the crowd leave by the end of the first set (it was a bit challenging). For the second set, they played the following. Absolutely spell binding….

2 Likes

This is one of the few tunes I play over and over on soprano. I’m happy literally only playing this on soprano for the rest of my life. It’s perfect.

1 Like

Your dog is called John? Cool.

3 Likes

Oh, man, NHØP was such a phenom on the upright - sad thing he passed so early.

1 Like

Found this tribute to him by Oscar.

After hearing this phenomenal talent on bass, I realized that somehow, someday we should meet, thereby giving me the opportunity to also play with him. This vision and thought took place in the early 1970s, when I was fortunate enough to be able to invite him to join my then trio.

Allow me to express my reaction to his playing this way: First and foremost, he never got in my way–but he also had such a great musical perception of what I was trying to do that he served to greatly inspire me from a spontaneous aspect. I came off walking on Cloud 3000 that evening because of Niels’ musical contribution. He had the most phenomenal technique, coupled with incredible harmonic perception, along with impeccable time. I shall never forget that evening.

Almost from that evening on, we became very close friends, not just musically but most certainly personally, for I developed a great admiration for the depth of Niels’ political, geographical and personal understandings. He was a man who had an almost unbelievable wealth of historic cognizance pertaining to European history. He also had a very kindred spirit as a human being, always able to easily make good friends, should he care to do so.

Oscar Peterson, writing in Jazztimes.[8]

2 Likes

So cool they need two bass players

This was after Juna left the group, and Rina replaced her. They still jam

3 Likes

I love that the forum has a Jazz Loving thread on it now.
I think we just leveled up?
All forum members can expect a pair of dark glasses and pack of cigarettes in their mail in the coming days.
Well done all!

These are some killer performances. Thanks for sharing.

5 Likes

Coltrane just like Bosch’s dog, lol.

3 Likes

Not a coincidence.

2 Likes

I dig, Gio.

If you haven’t watched this short video of Jack Bruce talking the bass line for White Room, here it is. It’s interesting how much popular music is jazz-derived.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Kat Edmonson “Summertime”

3 Likes

I think I’m in love

2 Likes

I know, right? Kat is superb and her band are some bad mothers.

2 Likes