Fretful.io (scales/chords fretboard web visualizer)

Yeah was mostly kidding. Never seen an 8-string bass myself. That’s gotta be approaching a Stick.

3 Likes

Guess I was wrong, I was going by what I see for sale, I have never seen a 7 string for sale, but have seen quite a few 8 strings. Not that I was looking for either, just what I notice when scrolling.

I don’t particularly like anything above 5, and still prefer 4. mostly

3 Likes

can’t see it again.

1 Like

Plenty of 7s turn up in search. I don’t think I have ever seen an 8 that was not an octaved 4.

I just googled 8s and thought I saw one but it was just a guitar. All the other 8s were octaved 4’s.

5 Likes

Huh… whodda thunk!?!

Jeroen Thesseling plays a Warwick 7-string fretless. This below is really not my music at all, but occasionally he also plays fusion :grin:

PS: Hm, OK, maybe it’s not a 7-string in this video, but he often wields one…

4 Likes

Wouldn’t the browser’s native zoom work for you? Try hitting Ctrl plus + (and - to reset). Let me know

8 is perfectly doable also, the tuners will scroll horizontally if needed (already did a test with 12 strings). Why did I put 7? The list I was checking for standard tunings only went up to 7 strings :stuck_out_tongue:

Please do! And thank you so much for your comments. Don’t hesitate if anything more crosses your mind

3 Likes

Thank you Joerg!

4 Likes

Thank you @DaveT! I’m very glad you find it useful

3 Likes

The only 8 string basses I could find that were not EADG octaved 4 string basses (i.e. like a 12 string guitar) looked like one-off novelties to me. I didn’t find any production models.

However there are several production 7 string basses.

3 Likes

I never search for an 8, or a 7, or a 6, or a 5 for that matter, it is just when scrolling thru. matter of fact, if I have the option to select 4 string only, that what I do, but when I just blindly scroll, I see 4’s and 5’s (more then I would like to, well, more of the ones I would want if it were a 4 string then I want to), and see some 6’s, can’t recall ever scrolling across a 7 (admiralty I may not have been paying attention, and I find 8 here and there, but I have never specifically searched for one

3 Likes

On that topic, I just crossed this wikipedia article about 8 string basses and 10 string basses. Also skimmed through this thread at talkbass. Interesting reads

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s more or less what I found - plenty of octaved ones but I didn’t see any production ones with eight discretely tuned full size strings. I did find some amusing looking one-offs though.

Typical example, octaved like a 12-string:

5 Likes

I bought you a coffee (or three). Well earned, I’d say.

4 Likes

Yeah, it is not really a big deal, I did not mean to spark any debate about bass strings, I just noticed the slider stopped at 7 and thought it seemed weird, but I am weird, so that might just be what it is.

Question, shapes? this is still a work in progress?

Also, I did not see it, but is there an option to select how many fret your bass has, instead of just showing a 24 fret bass. I know, obviously you don’t have to go beyond whatever frets you have, but I wold be interested in having the option to change it. just personal preference, not a big deal if not.

1 Like

Thank you so much @sfadams. It made my otherwise boring morning! I really appreciate it!

4 Likes

Indeed! And I just found a bug with the “degrees display” on the shapes segment. But do you have any question regarding this section?

Indeed it’s a technical possibility, but I chose to fix it at 24 frets on desktop and 12 on mobile for design purposes. I can consider letting you change that but I’ll have to find a good solution for horizontal scroll first, as more than 24 frets would squeeze the fretboard.

Did you get around to try the browser zoom control? Did that work for you?

3 Likes

No, Its cool, I am aware of how to zoom the whole browser, but I was looking to not have to do that, it will throw everything out of the screen, and then I have to set it back everytime. its not a big deal, I probably am not gonna be reading the fine print anyway

It is just the C Dorian scale shape, well, it is kind of a mix of the more well known shapes. either the 6th degree needs to be moved up above (down the neck) a whole step from the 5th degree.
or the 3rd degree needs to be moved to the middle string a whole step down the neck (up) so a whole step down from the 3rd degree
being a minor shaped scale, the first option to move the 6th degree to the middle string is more natural to the minor shape (3-3-2).

But when you play it as a major scale shape (2-3-3) the 3rd degree needs to move to the middle string.
the shape you have, which is correct to the dorian scale, is not to either a 3-3-2 or 2-3-3 shape, it is a 3-2-3 shape.

Again, it is fine, I practice scales up and down the neck going from shape to shape, blend shapes and shift around the neck. I don’t feel comfortable in all keys, and this tool helps for me to practice keys outside the few I am comfortable with, but the shape could cause some confusion if it were the only one. At least to me and the way I am being taught, I could be wrong of course, usually am :rofl: I am used to it by now

1 Like

just got ya a coffee

2 Likes

if you didn’t see that I said that same thing in this next quote I guess you didn’t follow

Never mind, I will just use it as it is, seems too hard to ask question, make suggestion.
no harm no foul,
all good
great app, thanks for the work

Entirely possible - I’ll just see myself out…