Fretful.io (scales/chords fretboard web visualizer)

I don’t know your screen resolution, but with mine 1950x1080 the zoom works smoothly without throwing anything around. Ctrl + 0 resets the zoom to the default state.

But I digress. How and where would you need to zoom in? It’s a fair suggestion and worth looking into. I can maybe add font-size control, would that help? I’ll test it out and let you know!

I confess I’m not that familiar with mode shapes beside the major/minor. I followed this chart for plotting:

source

The idea of the arrow navigation below the shapes is to cycle through different kind of shapes in the future. So there will be definitely more shapes to choose from. And let the user “lock” onto his favorite shape (so it’s the default shape the user sees for a given scale).

Also I think I’ll sync that module with the “octave selector” on the Visualizer (and maybe move that selector up to the shape section), so you can move the shape through the octaves also.

So glad to read that!

There are no wrong shapes :wink:

Thank you so much! Second smile someone gets out of me today!

This one is for you:

3 Likes

Fixed!

@T_dub do you have any reading material to share on shape formation? You got me hooked on those 2-3-3, 3-3-2 patterns

3 Likes

I will look hang on.

Also, it is only the text that lists the scale notes, degrees, tones, etc… to the left of the scale shapes, it gets really really small. That is mainly the text I was talking about to zoom, or change to a larger font rather.

1 Like

So, size-wise, the fretboard and its notes are ok? I can definitely increase the font on that section you’re saying

Thank you!

This shows the Dorian scale for each note in the C major scale

the top lines are the 2-3-3. Two notes played on the first string, the E string on bottom. 3 notes played on the A string and 3 on the D. Or 2 on A, 3 on D and 3 on G

Second lines of notes shows the 3-3-2 (also known as the first finger position, because naturally you start the scale with your index finger. The 2-3-3 is the second finger position because you start it on your middle finger)

The bottom set of strings shows the scale written out on one string

These would be two shapes that you could show, there are others of course, some common, there is as 4th finger shape that starts withe the pinky and crosses all the strings.

I was using this logic when I said the shape you showed (which is correct, the scale can be many different shapes, and or no particular shape at all) was not matching the other shapes you showed for all the other notes.
That is why your Dorian shape stood out to me.

2 Likes

THis is a page from the Scale E-book written by @JoshFossgreen. So we known it is correct :wink:

3 Likes

Ow nice! Just learned Josh has ebooks for sale. How have I missed this. I’m going to get it! Thank you @T_dub

3 Likes

+1 here

2 Likes

Just got them. Will check them over the weekend but the first impression is that it’s pretty rich in information. This should be featured on Bassbuzz website @JoshFossgreen!

3 Likes

Sometimes I get the feeling that he is too worried about advertising himself and coming off as needy/annoying.

We love your content @JoshFossgreen and if the rest of your work is even half as good most of us are interested. :wink:

2 Likes

@T_dub I just bumped the font-size. Do you think it’s enough or would you rather have control to fine tune the font-size?

Check it: www.fretful.io (v 1.3.2)

For reference:

Before

After

3 Likes

That is better for sure.
If it were one font bigger it might help more, but if it doesn’t fit the format that way, it is ok like this.
Thanks, I can read this one much better.

3 Likes

Just did an update.

Now we have a page dedicated to Intervals study. It’s paving the ground for ear training exercises.

[alpha-1.4.0] - 2020-08-27
Added
  • Intervals page

Check it out: www.fretful.io/intervals (v 1.4.0)

As always, any kind of feedback is much appreciated

4 Likes

I like that fretful.io logo. That’s pretty cool.

2 Likes

I am getting a “SAFARI CAN’T OPEN THIS PAGE / SERVER DOWN”.
Is this something on my end, or is the server down for maintenance , or you working on the program?

It’s opening on my end now, but I noticed 10h~ ago I also had trouble opening. Netlify (the server provider) must be doing some kind of maintenance. Can you open it now?

1 Like

Thank you Eric!

2 Likes

Ok, it is working now. Thanks for the heads up @gcancella

2 Likes

Looking GREAT.
Now, I am gonna throw you another bone, or curveball, or whatever.

Stuff related to Intervals, specifically in chord tones, and 7 cords and extensions, like 9, 11, and 13, which are and can be the 2nd, 4th and 6th.

Alto, triads and triad inversions

I guess that would come into play if you were to map out cords over the whole fretboard,

That might have to be it’s own module, like a tab up top, like for scales and intervals, you might want to eventually have 7 chords (with all extensions) , triads and arpeggios / inversions. etc…

2 Likes

Thank you!

I was wondering about that, while doing the intervals page. Do you think I should add extended intervals to the list?

On it! :sunglasses:

1 Like