Fretless Envy

I’m still saving up for my first bass and getting by with a decent loner bass.

I went to my local music store to try out the Yamaha recommended here Which Bass To Buy? | BassBuzz.com

They had one and it was okay. Still probably going with a different one. And for a first bass I’m not going to get a fretless.

But.

They had this beauty.

This is a small store with one amp that wasn’t available during my quick visit so I can’t fully judge the sound. To my ear and without amplification I don’t think it’s what I’d want. Besides fretless basses are for specific sounds, or so I’ve read.

But it felt like playing silk. I absolutely loved it and was surprised how accurately I could play.

My first bass will be fretted. And I’m already thinking about an acoustic for a second bass.

But my third bass? Whenever that day comes? I’ll be shocked if it’s not a fretless.

7 Likes

…if it doesn’t come a lot sooner than you think. :wink:

5 Likes

Good fretless songs would have most of of what a fretless can produce. Great fretless songs/ player you wouldn’t even notice it.

So the answer to you is not really a specific sound you can play them just like the regular bass. @Shibata should chime in here. It took me forever to convince him to convert, lol.

3 Likes

My first ever bass is fretted. (I just started this past August.) My second bass is a fretless.
I’m very happy that I went this route and that I have both basses.
You might want to check out this thread and join the Fretless Fan Club:

3 Likes

Fretless :heart:

I don’t know what it is about them, but I they do it for me me way more than fretted basses.
I have been working on my fretless technique a lot lately. The funny thing is most of the time when I am playing fretless you can’t even tell. It sounds like I am playing fretted. I am working on my growl and vibrato a lot and starting to get better at the “fretless” sound.

3 Likes

I like the way you think :slight_smile: How about your 4th, 5th and 6th? I say two more fretted and another fretless!

That bass is beautiful

5 Likes

Pretty much same here. Love playing on the fretless.

4 Likes

Thanks for pointing me there. I don’t always read every post of a thread when finding one over 100 posts long, but I had to.

2 Likes