Fretless Fan Club

I have also found on fretless that a very small change in neck relief is the difference between clean notes and a big mess on the lower part of the neck. Much less forgiving than fretted.

I am really digging this Squier fretless. I also can see where a high end fretless gives you some more robust advantages in this area, but for me this is all I need in this camp. And there is something about looking down at that pure black ebonol fretboard that is magical.

3 Likes

After doing a site search and reading this thread from a year ago, I think that I want to be in the Fretless Fan Club. I have always loved the beautiful, unique sound of a fretless bass.

This seems to be a good place to get way ahead of myself and think out loud.

Six weeks ago, I bought my first ever bass guitar, a Fender Player Series Jazz Bass. Even though I had never played a bass before, I felt the need to follow a sudden burning desire. I’m so happy that I did this.

I started the Beginner to Badass course two weeks ago and I’m absolutely thrilled so far. I just finished Module 03 and it feels so good to be making progress after starting out as an absolute beginner. Josh @JoshFossgreen is an amazing teacher. I definitely will keep playing bass.

Now on to getting way ahead of myself. I’m already thinking that a fretless bass could be in my future. Is it that GAS is contagious on this site? Will I have developed enough of a foundation of prerequisite skills after completing the Beginner to Badass course to get a fretless bass? It feels like my technique is improving. Heck, it even seems like my musical ear is actually getting better.

Would a fretless bass be a good graduation present to myself after completing the Beginner to Badass course? Would a fretless Jazz Bass (that still has fret markers) be a good transition/acquisition? It would seem like less to adjust to and hopefully the muscle memory, ergonomics, etc. would be helpful. When I originally tried out different bass guitars, the Jazz Bass felt like a good fit for me. I know that I’ll need to try out some fretless basses in the future.

Thanks for listening to my thoughts. Any advice would certainly be appreciated.

1 Like

Yes. Of course had you asked “Even though I can scarcely afford it, my children are limited to 600 calories a day and grandma went up for sale, should I buy this $3000 custom boutique fretless bass?” this forum would still say “Definitely yes!”

We are a merry band of enablers, after all.

That said, I think that this is a wonderful idea. Although I finished B2B in the spring, my 2 year bassiversary was this past August. So just recently I bought my dream bass. Now I’m thinking about a fretless… but I’ll wait till I have my new workshop, so that I can finish my project bass build.

3 Likes

I would say yes, that would be an excellent graduation present. I also think getting a lined fretless is a great place to start.

1 Like

I wanted one until I ran into Tony Franklin’s YouTube channel. Now no thanks! I’ll pass and stick to fretted. I don’t have the time or dedication to get good at it.

2 Likes

yep…

Yes - and going through the course from the beginning a second time with it would be a really great thing.

4 Likes

I’m certainly no where near Tony Franklin but I do find playing fretless to be a lot of fun. I was actually pretty surprised by how easy it is to pick up. Plus, it was the perfect excuse to get more basses. :~)

5 Likes

Nice looking pair!

2 Likes

Thanks. I built the PBass from parts. I bought the Jazz Bass and then bought a neck from Warmoth and installed it.

2 Likes

@StevFargan
Fretless bass is so much fun to play, and no more difficult than fretted, just different. You do need to be more precise about positioning fretting fingers but you get used to it very fast. No more fret buzz (should you ever suffer from it).
Don’t let anyone on Youtube put you off.
The Jazz bass body has the ergonomic advantage of putting the neck in the same position, sitting or standing.
Bass No 4 neck-through mahogany with flatwound strings gives a classic bassy fretless twang. It’s difficult to resist the temptation to slide and bend most notes.

Bass No 7 - multiscale headless set-through-neck with acoustic roundwound strings gives a very trebbly twang. The piezo pickup means the tone ranges from ‘hollow’ acoustic to bright boom.

5 Likes

I just noticed your Chicago Blackhawks throw. Hockey fan here as well!

3 Likes

You’d be surprised how well you can play Fretless with considerably small learning curve, especially when you start with the lined Fretless.

4 Likes

Man, Tony is so awesome! He always reads and comments on yt posts too :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think that every new bass player should spend some time playing a fretless bass because it teaches you to use your ears and it forces you to use good fretting technique. If you already have good fretting technique on fretted, the transition to fretless is pretty easy. I like the look of a lined fretless but I don’t spend much time looking at it while playing.

One big benefit that a fretless has is you can play in tune better than a fretted instrument which by fault of its design (and our western music system) is often slightly out of tune.

1 Like

@MC-Canadastan
Thank you for the encouragement.
What type of dream bass did you buy?

@joeike
Thank you.
I’m still thinking of a lined fretless (even though Tony Franklin might disagree.)

2 Likes

@RuknRole
Thank you for sharing the link. Tony Franklin has a distinctive style and energy to his playing.
I may not get my own beautiful signature model like he has, but I’m still aspiring to get and play a fretless one day.

1 Like

@John_E
Thanks.
I like the idea of a second time on Beginner to Badass with a fretless.

2 Likes

Leave this here, Juna Serita goes fretless on a U bass.

1 Like

I don’t dream too big. A Fender Steve Harris P bass

1 Like