Gadgets! Praise good ones and bash bad ones

Wasn’t sure where to put this so started this thread to have a place to cite and ask about (mostly useless but sometimes invaluable) gadgetry.

This might be pretty good, IF they made one for a BASS!

Apparently they think bassists don’t clean frets.

3 Likes

Embrace the gunk

1 Like

I use this kind of protectors :

costs about nothing and works perfectly.

4 Likes

Yeah I have a similar one from Stewmac. I also have the blue handle one from music nomad.

This would work. Once and done. Sadly it only work with mostly fender scale

This is what I use as well.

I don’t use any, I just polish the fretboard too to remove any scuffs from polishing the frets. Works perfectly.

If you get the metal ones, sand them before using to remove any accidental burrs, or you risk a scratch that you’ll need to buff out. Guess how I found out :slight_smile:

I use blue masking tape, even works for filing.

2 Likes

Yeah for serious work the low-tack tape is the way to go. Though I even file without it, both for ends and crowning. I wouldn’t use a full size leveller without tape though, even though it’s probably safer than a crowning file.

I think these are likely the best type of metal ones; the bands holding it in place are a nice touch that would help a lot.

1 Like

Some gadgets I own and like:

Neck rest. Simple but effective.

Fret polishing rubber. Works well, but, as others will probably point out, cheap, high-grit nail files will work too.

String winder. Simple, effective, essential.

GHS Fast Fret. Still not sure about this. It works great, but I get the impression it makes strings go “dead” quicker.

3 Likes

yes !

1 Like

That neck rest is NICE. I love cork btw.
I use #000 steel wool for final polishing - quick and very effective, fret alloy is rather soft-ish.
Can’t find a winder that suits Gotoh style keys, and winding by hand goes quick too.

1 Like

Amazing how well things like this work! It’s like a gunk eraser.

They’ve worked well for me, but nothing wrong with things like this either. Whatever gets the gob done.

1 Like

Probably my favorite gadget discovered to date.

Gruv Gear David Ellefson Recoil Signature Strap

So comfortable and so adjustable.

1 Like

A little tool that I really like. It is mounted on an electric drill and it helps turn the tuning machines. It saves a lot of time when you change strings on several instruments.

Beware, some of those tools only work for guitars because the slot is too small for bass tuners. The one I show works for both.

4 Likes

Have a glossy neck and want that satin feel without applying green 3M pads (which is also a good gadget)? Try this. Also for strings

2 Likes

I have a ton of “gadgets” that make doing work on my gear easier like this one.

Stupidly expensive for what it costs to make but when you need it you need it. I’ve read stories of guys who scratched the hell out of their tops trying use something else to pry a knob off or have actually pulled the shaft out of a pot using pliers. This doo hickey does work.

As for just fret polishing I’ve never needed to mask off a fretboard if I use micro grits pads and/or Gorgomyte. I’ve never mangled or dented frets so badly they’ve needed more than that nor have I ever bought a bass or a guitar with frets in such bad shape they needed deep resurfacing. For that I would mask off the fretboard and use a Dremel Tool. I never use steel wool either.

3 Likes

I think this belongs here. What do we think?

5 Likes

Boss is killing it lately. The new Katana stuff is very very good. That led display for showing tuner is such a good idea. :+1:

4 Likes