GAS can be a terrible thing, can't it?

I have decided to save up for a once in a lifetime bass (at least for me). It may take awhile, but then again, it will be worth the wait. I love the look of Ric’s but have never played one. I love the playability of Ibanez and ESP (LTD). I love the sounds from my Jazz bass. I really want a top end MM even though again, I have never played one. So I ask, if you had a $3-$4k budget, what would you choose and why? I will pair it up with my Eden amp and the Ashdown 4x10 cab.

3 Likes

No advise here will help you. Take the time while saving to play everything you can.
You may find your dream bass isn’t what you thought, nor that expensive. You may end up with 3 or 4 or 5 instead.

In that price range used/vintage is also in play.
Older basses of many models are very different than newer, like the Ricks, night and day new and old.

In the end, in that price range you must connect with it in a meaningful way, with hands and ears.

3 Likes

Is the answer a $800 Mexican P Bass and the other $3200 on lessons? Lols :grin:

6 Likes

No, it may be the other way around

2 Likes

I love MusicMan so I’d suggest you go for the HS version(Jazz neck pickup and MM bridge pickup) If you can tolerate the looks then the bongo is an excellent choice. I just picked up a Lakland Skyline 55-02 so that would definitely a good choice.

Too many good ones to recommend, if you can find a Tobias Renegade that has the jazz/mm set up under 1k used made in USA. Asymmetrical neck, light weight, Bartolini pickups and preamp, awesome all around bass.

Sandberg is another good option.

3 Likes

I would love a purple Bongo

2 Likes

Play before you buy, you may be surprised.

5 Likes

Surprised at what?

1 Like

I would go with a custom build. :sunglasses: :+1:

3 Likes

this. this a hundred times over really, imo.

3 Likes

If I had the money I’d see what it would take to build a custom stream as a PJ with DiMarzios, two tones, and two volumes. In Twinkle Pink

2 Likes

In what respect?

1 Like

It would be one of two things for me.

One would be a Fender custom shop Jazz. The other would be a Kiesel Icon.

There are some REALLY nice Ibanezes at that range I’d give a serious look at as well.

Or maybe that Schecter with the Cthulhu green paint job.

Maaaaaan, now you my my GAS rolling.

2 Likes

tone, feel, etc.
I have gone to the shop thinking I was going to love many instruments in the past and found once I had them in hand that I didn’t like them at all. Dingwalls are a great example of this, hated it the second I put my hands on it and it went downhill from there.

4 Likes

Some combination of:

A Jack Cassidy semi-hollow bass because I love how it sounds

A Cort A5 beyond because it looks and sounds great

Some kind of 6 string because I don’t have a 6 string

Maybe an Ibanez EHB 4string headless bass because it’s good for travelling

2 Likes

You could buy 2 of them XD (assuming you can even find one…)

2 Likes

At the moment, if I had that money to spend on one bass, I think it would be this…

https://gretschguitars.com/gear/build/bass/g6199-billy-bo-jupiter-thunderbird-short-scale-bass/2410516815

…just for fun

3 Likes

well it’s certainly interesting…

1 Like

I agree, I have the same feeling with Strandberg, everything on the paper said this would be a kickA$$ bass but it’s just not for me.

On the positive note, the Bongo bass is a pleasant surprised, it’s well made and the 24 frets is a welcome range to play when you are up in the 17-20 fret as there are more room. The tone can be decidedly Stingray and then some. I have a limited edition Bongo with HS and piezo set up I love it. Though is not purple sparkle but it would do, lol.

on the side note, if you are looking into custom then it’s another great choice. I’ve got one made and a youtube video that comes with it,lol.
This is mine

3 Likes

My local GC had one a few weeks back. Dunno if they still do, but that’s how I became aware of it.

3 Likes