GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

OK, so if I leave at 6, I can be there at 8:30 and beat @juli0r to it. :laughing:

4 Likes

That and the price fitting perfectly into budget was what made me notice it.

4 Likes

I’m a coder, a gamer and a musician.
What do you expect my sleep schedule currently looks like? If you are there at 8:30 we won’t even meet. I’ll maybe go maybe around 12h. Maybe 10 if I’m up early and those are both the times when I would go out of the door, not arrive.

I mean… PAH! I’ll be there at 6!
Nevermind that the stores aren’t opened at that time. I’ll camp at the entrance.

edit I just checked: The store opens on 14h! So have fun waiting 6 hours :wink:

2 Likes

I just looked online and notice that all the roads are closed between @peterhuppertz and Duisburg. @juli0r get up and get over there in the morning before they repair the roads.

3 Likes

Whoops!
It’s nice and everything but it’s active only.
So go ahead @peterhuppertz - all yours :smiley:

2 Likes

Better than mine – I’m a coder and a musician on Prednisone.

5 Likes

Hi @PamPurrs, @juli0r
There is no requirement to wear masks down under at any shops etc, although there are a lot of people wearing them.
The one thing we are doing is putting hand sanitizer on every time we get back in the car or get home from walking to shops.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Yes

Yes, the line is because they only let 10 people in the store at one time.
Actually the first store I went to today was pretty much only letting people in if a sales clerk was free. So when someone left, the employee waited inside for the next shoppers walked in, and that employee was kind of assigned to that person(s).
I mean, a personal shopping assistant is great and all, but forget the line.

I got there at 11:52, they open at 12:00.

I was 12th in line, thank god. It was warm, not crazy hot, and the line was in the shade of the building, light breeze, not crazy bad like mid June in PHX (I lived there before), so it was doable.

If I didn’t get there when I did, I would not have stayed (had to be on a zoom meeting at 1pm)
At noon, all but the couple in front of me were let in, and I made it in at about 12:15.

Checked at the door, FACE MASK ON. Ok, darn shut heck poop :rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::hot_face::rage:

I was greeted by a very friendly younger man, who asked me what I was shopping for.

“A bass that you are showing 2 in stock”

Um, ok, let’s see, sometimes the website says we have stock and it’s either in the back, or the website was not updated from the day before.

“I was at Fountain Valley yesterday, and a rude AF guy told me you had two in stock”

Ok, what item are you looking for?

“The Blue Sterling StingRay”

He asked if I was looking 4 or 5 string, I said 4. By this time we were in the bass room, and started looking on the wall. I was pretty immediately worried, because the only Stingrays on the wall were Sterling 5 strings, and Music Man 4 and 5 strings, nothing blue.
He went to check the computer, came back and said, yes, there are two in the back, let me go grab one. Sounds good right? Remember I said this was the first GC of the day.
He came back with the box, asked if I wanted it open, Yes please.
Opens it up, pulls out a beautiful Sterling StingRay, black on black.
Hmmm, idk he says, the box and sku say blue, hmmm, I will go grab the other.
Brings it out, opens it up, out comes another black one. Weird he says, maybe the blue one was in the black box. Nope, it was black too.

He asks if I want one delivered to the store or my home. No, I don’t want to wait, can you call The Block (city of Orange) the computer said they have 2 also, and please ask them to open he box and verify that one of them is blue.
He did, they did, so at least that’s good.
Ok, do you want me to have them hold it for you?
Ok, sort of, I want to buy it here, and do curbside pick up there. He looked a little puzzled as to why. I said I already waited in line, not gonna do that again.
He asked if I had an account and have ordered online before. I said yes, but I am paying cash, so I can’t order online. He said, Ok, sure, I am pretty sure we can get that done (I know they can, I did it before, but as I said, he was friendly. The A-hole in Fountain Valley yesterday would have tried to told me they don’t do that)
So we got it ordered and set up for curbside pick up. He said I should get an email in about an hour saying I could go get it.
Cool, I have a zoom meeting from 1 to 3 anyway.

It the door by 12:50, so that was good.

I hate the mask thing. I think it’s stupid. Not intending to ruffle anybody’s feathers, we are all entitled to our opinions, and feelings, if you like the mask and beleive it’s keeping you safe, awesome, I support you wearing one.
I even understand the general idea, if they were all sealed masks designed to keep a virus in or out. The hand made, bandanna, cloth, whatever…
I don’t beleive they do anything, but prevent you from touching your mouth, and in some rare cases, it might have saved someone from getting Covid. I do not beleive that you wearing a face covering will keep me safe from Covid one bit.

Again, that’s my belief, and I still support yours.

But they actually give me claustrophobia. They make me hot, sweaty, itchy, fog my glasses up, and wearing them over and over and over like many people do is not very sanitary by any standards, IMO.

most places that require masks I will not shop at or go into. Exceptions are the grocery store (gotta have groceries), dr’s offices, restaurants when ordering take out, and places that have Basses and Bass related items I want to look at, touch, play with, feel, see, and buy to take with me.

Now…

This brings us to GC #2, The Block at Orange.
Never got an Email and at 4:45, Iwas already close to it, so I went over.
Long line, around the corner, thank god I already ordered it, cuz I wouldn’t stand in it, and after today, I can t see a reason to go back to a GC until all this madness is over.

Front of the line is a guy, I said I was here for curbside pick up, but did no t get an email yet.
He actually said to me “ OK, did you get the email with pick up instructions”. I passed on the opportunity to be the Pathalogical smart ass that I am, so as not to offend the one person standing in front of me and my Stinger.
No, I have not received the email yet. I bought it at 12:30.
He said, ok, the order probably has not hit the system yet.
No, I got the order confirmation and the printed receipt from the store I bought it at.
He said, ok, payment probably has not cleared yet.
I said no, I paid in cash.
After exhausting all his options to not help me further, he finally said, ok, let me check on the order, what’s your name. Told him, he came out, oh yeah, the order just now hit our system, we will bring it right out.
Well, doubt it just hit your system as much as I doubt it will “be right out”
I was still all grins, and thank you’s Every time he told me again, ok, should be out any minute…
About 20 min later, the box is in my hands.

Got to the car, thought, better make sure it’s blue. I was parked in the shade, and as I pulled out ANOTHER BLACK BASS, I was sad and mad at the same time, until I got in the sun, and wait, what’s that, YES, BLUE. Just looked like the matte black one in the shade. Haha
Success at last.

I made $200 on the Squire Jaguar on Friday night.
Took a friend tonGC yesterday, played with the new StingRay, and knew I needed to upgrade from the lowest SUB SubRay I had ( even tho I loved it and played it daily) and knew the only way to get the rest of that money immediately, for the upgrade was to sell the SubRay.
Listed it last night, around 7pm.
Had offers by 8-9, couple for $100 (what I paid) and one came in for $120. Asked when he could get it, he said in the morning. By 10:30, had the $120, a $20 profit, and a total of $320. The Bass ended up costing $323 and change.

I had a Offer for $140 late last night, but said I had someone coming in the Morning, if they no show, I will let you know.
I honored the price I had already agreed upon.

Oh, pics.

Best way to show the color, not best pictures of the bass, but more to show the color, that, even tho it’s not Orange, I really love. It’s awesome.

Damn, took a while on that book of a post.
Need to go play this soon.

I did a prelim set up.
New Bass, new strings, it will require many micro adjustments in the coming months.

Have not decided if I will replace the strings yet.
I have not tried flats yet. This might be good for that, but I plan to slap it, so maybe I will leave them for now.

4 Likes

Very nice. Enjoy it in good health.

3 Likes

Ty @JerryP, I will enjoy it, health or no. Haha😂

1 Like

This guy is making my life miserable.

This has been listed for about 3 months that I know of, when I first started tracking it, it had been on for 2 months IIRC.
It started at $250
Dropped to $200 about 2 months ago
Dropped to $189 about a month ago
Dropped to $150 over the weekend
Droppedto $130 today.

It’s not anything great. It’s just kind of a bucket Bass. My favorite guitar player for the most part was “Dimebag”, and this is the guitar he played. When I first started looking at Basses, I put it I’n my favorites. Just thinking “oh wouldn’t it be BAD ASS to have a “Dimebag” style bass!

And damn it, it has turned against me.
It has turned into one of those
“Somebody better hurry up and buy that”
Idk, it’s lame, but I like it. Probably more for art, to have, noodle on once in a while, hand it on the wall to look at. Haha, I need to just stop talking about it already.
Someone please buy it, cuz if he drops it to $100, I am toast.

3 Likes

This here - is MY weakness…(i’m having one built as we speak)

7 Likes

Sounds great.
Wood looks great.
The body shape is not for me but it’s still interesting.

Although I’m missing a bit of playing around with EQ settings. A bit like in this video: 5-STRING BASS SHOOTOUT - Peavey, Warwick, Music Man, Dingwall, Le Fay - YouTube
The video also contains my weakness but although I’m weak I’m not rich enough to give in to my desires. It’s the Le Fay Herr Schwarz. List price 3300€ and I found one person who sells a used one for 2000€. It’s still on there. I can’t believe no one snatched that away yet :smiley:

3 Likes

The Dingwall/Le Fay and Cirrus sound best too me - i owned a Cirrus - didn’t like the 35" scale though…i have a couple Dingwalls - sweet basses.
Never tried a Le Fay - look pretty sweet - I own a few Warwicks too, and yet, it sounds bad on the video - in real life, i love them (again, the nut reach ergonomics aren’t great).
Ya only live once man - enjoy life while you can, you’re a young guy - lots of time to pay it off. :wink:
(i’m not a good person to talk you OUT of gear)

2 Likes

As that may be there are more important things on my list that I would go into debt for. Namely a house or buying a flat large enough so my girlfriend and me can comfortably found a family without (too) much financial worries.

It feels like most of the people here have already accomplished that with a certain degree of success and if that were the case for me I… still wouldn’t go into debt. I don’t like it and think it helps me with managing money. Also if I keep debt-free in situations in which I comfortably can then I still have the option of making a debt in desperate times.

The one thing that actually might work is asking my mother if she would give it to me as a gift for birthday/christmas. The explanation to that can be found here. But that’s actually the reason I won’t ask. It would feel as unearned as I describe in the linked post.

3 Likes

yep - fair enough. Smart decisions

2 Likes

Hahaha, that should be a tag line for a few of us.
Like @PamPurrs, badass bass gal

@tdub, not the one to talk you out of GEAR AQUISITION

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Yeah, I have not gotten there, and do not ever plan too.

And, the guy with that Friggin Dean Dimebag Bass dropped it to $100. I am gonna break.

But there is solid reasoning behind it.
I have been trying to pick a bass to turn BEAD, but I don’t want to do it to any of my current line up. So this Bery metal style bass will be perfect to set up BEAD.
So there, that’s my reasoning, and I have convinced myself it’s solid :thinking::thinking:

Now watch, now I decided, it will be gone.

4 Likes

Go get it tiger!

2 Likes

Sounds like a bargain to me. I would too!

I anticipate this with Herr Schwarz.
Once I somehow got the money to buy the used one for 2k someone else will have done so. But as long as I don’t have the money the ad will stay online just to taunt me.

I don’t even know why I go on there once a day and check.

4 Likes

Because you have GAS. Resistance is futile!

3 Likes