GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Oh hey, wow! I don’t think I have seen one that wasn’t a natural finish. Looks great.

3 Likes

Yes, like I wrote, I would have preferred the flame maple in purple like I saw before, but that seller was not serious. At least this one’s in A+ shape.

3 Likes

Take a break from buying gear and come hang with us tomorrow…

5 Likes

I just informed Sara that I’ve purchased a piano (I really only bought a MIDI keyboard) and she looked at me with a serious expression and said, “You need to find a 12 step program”. :rofl:

8 Likes

I developed a program for you…

Step 1 - bass
Step 2 - gear
Step 3 - bass
Step 4 - instrument of choice
Step 5 - bass
Step 6 - bass
Step 7 - gear
Step 8 - bass
Step 9 - gear or bass
Step 10 - bass
Step 11 - bass
Step 12 - bass

9 Likes

Thanks @John_E I’ll let her know I’ve started the program :smile_cat:

7 Likes

My ramp for the Ray4 arrived today.
First impressions are very favourable and certainly will push me into not wedging my thumb too far on the string I’m not playing and may also lighten my touch when plucking.
BUT it’s a very snug fit and the thickness of the double sided tape is certainly crucial. To get the bass to play with no buzzing I’ve had to reset the action considerably higher .
Having said that the tape I had available is thick as in a few mils thick but as I am impressed with the ramp and it will be a keeper I’m leaning towards gluing the ramp to my pick guard which should alleviate the problem of the higher action

5 Likes

I don’t think I understand the advantage - what are they for?

2 Likes

It basically reduces the depth your fingers can go when plucking or in my case resting.
It’s a bit like playing at the bottom of the fretboard

1 Like

Always wondered where you rest your thumb on MM basses with a single pickup. Lots of room for slap and pick but for fingers it seems a bit tricky

3 Likes

Mustangs used to have thumb rests. I was always curious how effective they are.

Never curious enough to drill holes in my bass for one; the part is readily available.

6 Likes

I always found one particular place to rest your thumb to be limiting - moving your plucking position (closer to or farther away from the bridge) gives a lot of tonal variation.

I rest my thumb on the lowest available string… and in the air if I play on the E string :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

Double sided tape works just fine

2 Likes

New Bass Day. After 7 months of learning on a short scale bass, I’ve taken the plunge and bought my first full scale. Fender P Bass, player series (MIM) in a rather nice Tidepool metallic finish.

17 Likes

Sweet, @Barney

4 Likes

I have the same model in that colour. Great fun . Enjoy

2 Likes

Nice, and good color. When I bought my first bass, a player jazz, I wanted one in Tidepool. I put it in my cart, and waffled on whether it was the right bass, when I came back a few hours later, it was sold.

Still like the color

3 Likes

I officially got to third bass today:

Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass. Duncan Designed pickups. Built in 2008 but looks like new. Action and pickup height are all over the place, but that will be fixed soon.

19 Likes

That’s what I started out with, @Mike_NL . . . :slight_smile:

It’s a great bass, especially for the money . . . good luck with it!

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Great bass @Mike_NL ENJOY!

5 Likes