GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Thanks for the info!

3 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, a couple years at least, I’ve wanted one more or less since I discovered Polysics.

8 Likes

I blame Fumi for my SBV as well

6 Likes

Graet find, @howard .

5 Likes

possibly the next purchase : Ibanez PCBE12MH-OPN

11 Likes

Ooh. Interesting for the Dark Country covers.

3 Likes

Thank you. I keep calling the SR 300’s “Flimsy”. Feeling to me, and I always get a little push back when I say that, even after stating, this is my opinion only.

You summed it up perfectly, and I know exactly what you mean.

I dont even mean it as a DIS to Ibanez or SR 300 (and (400), just that to me they feel flimsy.

I guess I need to take a lesson from your example and say “After playing my Ray4, or Stingray SLO special, or LTD B-4E, or Squire Pete Wentz Signature, that an SR300 or SR400 felt like toys.

Maybe that is a more acceptable way to describe it.

Sad.y, I dont have the SR 300 or 400 anymore, but it really was, because after playing the Ray4 and LTD B-4E, they felt like toys, so ai sold them.
I did not have the Squire or EBMM SLO special at the time, but with what I had, same thing applied to the SR”s.

And again, for clarification, this is ONLY MY OPINION.
I know plenty love them. They have nice fast necks, and work for lots of people, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Also

SR500 and up that a have tested, did not feel so flimsy, or like a Toy to me, just the 300 and 400 I had, and have tested in
other shops.

I am just happyI finally found another person say something similar as I have said before

3 Likes

It’s true, SR300 is VERY light and thin which makes it feel like toy after playing pretty much any standard bass out there.

2 Likes

You are not alone in this, I feel the same as well. I do like the light body but the sound while subjective is a bit different than your typical mainstream. Mostly due to their preamps I’m sure. Too much mid for my liking. It’s a contemporary design with more modern tones. Oddly, it cuts through the mix pretty well. Hey, Carol Kaye is a definitely a queen of studio recording bassist of all time, and she uses the SR series (not sure in the recording) if it’s good for her it’s good for anyone.

While most of us would bitch an moan about heavy basses, we do like them more than we like to admit, lol.

3 Likes

Not me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I noticed this too, but could be because they are cheap and light, you never know. Pro endorsement does not mean quality (reference Gene Simmons basses he sells).

4 Likes

While that’s true with someone like Simmons, I doubt outside our group of musicians no one’s ever heard of Carol Kaye, but everyone have heard her work before guaranteed. Plus the one that I saw her with, is definitely a highend SR.

Endorsement is a funny thing like you said, if I were…I’d be endorsing the Squier or the MIM Fender line than the highend custom shop. I’m all about money, lol.

3 Likes

BTW, Fender appears to have taken another price increase.
Squire Jazz was $399 when I bought it Jan '20, then was upped to $429, and now today I see it at GC for $479!
I was wondering why their Affinity line is getting a facelift.
Looks like they are carving out a higher price point for Squire.
Similarlly looks like the MIM basses are upped as well some.

3 Likes

That’s exactly why I wanted to get the existing Affinity as my base upgrade bass before they sell out.

I think Carol is actually an Ibanez fan. I seem to remember her in a video talking about how much more she liked them than the chunky Fenders from the early studio days.

4 Likes

Paranormal still $429.

Yeah, I saw the price hikes. Supply chains are really disrupted, sure that is a factor

1 Like

Fender Vintera went up by $50 too, not sure about others, only the ones i happen to know what they were.
$50 on a $949 bass vs. $50 on a $429 bass says shipping upcharges to me (which are real and huge right now, container prices to US are nuts now, also dock prices to get it off the boat, etc)

1 Like

I totally understand this. Everything of size that’s been shipped to me this year has had a delay. Just not enough drivers or warehouse workers. Gets magnified with international shipping

2 Likes

I still think that the affinity lines still be at the same price point. They need a $200, $400, $500 PricePoint, then Fender would take over the rest of the way upward. Fender probably would not let that line go to the Glary, Donner, monoprice and what not. Gotta tell you, they keep making them so good.

1 Like

I was checking some left handed basses to update my list a few days ago, and noticed that for ESP’s LTD models, many of them had gone up in price since July (LH models, didn’t check the righties). The new prices were up an additional $50 (for B-204SM, 205SM, D-4, D-5) to $100 more (for AP-4 and AP-5). The Surveyor '87 and Phoenix-1004 LH models didn’t have increases in price when I checked.

1 Like

FWIW I would rather have a high end SR than any product Fender makes, based on the ones I have tried. They are excellent instruments (and much more stylistically interesting, IMO.)

3 Likes