GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Yeah IIRC pedals go left to right on the Zoom interface for some reason :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

NIce pick up @wellbi ,
i should explore the potential with mine instead of looking at it on the shelf.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Well have a lovely holiday everyone. I’ll see you all in the new year. I think it’s gonna take me at least 3 weeks of tinkering to understand this little guy :thinking:

I bought a little 3D printed stand for it so I could read it easier whilst going through the NASA manual.

15 Likes

Very nice!

3 Likes

That’s a cool idea I bought a 3d printer. I’ve been having a lot of fun printing, lol. Luckily it’s a long process if not It will cost a lot of filament.

8 Likes

What you meant was: “Yeah, pedals go from left to right on the Zoom interface, as they should. Real pedal boards go from right to left for some reason :man_shrugging:t3::rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Hah, yes.

3 Likes

reason being that most players are right handed, so the cable from the instrument is on the right side and goes into the right side of the first pedal which is the most convenient.

4 Likes

Nice. Wondering why you picked this up, don’t you have a Zoom? Looking for more fun with effects?

3 Likes

Zoom to Helix is kind of like going from Squier to, say, Premium Ibanez. Definite quality jump.

4 Likes

awesome. i also went through the same, trying to understand it all. as you now probably know there are two manuals for it - one for programming it through the pedal controls and one for programming it through a computer. pick the one that makes more sense to you and stick to that. after that it’s pretty much concentrating on the basics.

2 Likes

Stream 205 showed up in the GC used shop today. Gassing pretty hard.

3 Likes

Hey @Fahri

If you like a thick P-bass-like neck and don’t mind a bit of a porky bass, then you’ll like this. It’s much meatier than a Sterling Ray4.

The sound is pretty good, very growly yet deep, though a bit hissy in my HB preamp (I have a very dirty power supply here in Warsaw and no way to do a ground-lifted XLR connection, but I expect it to be much quieter elsewhere). Unfortunately, I ended up getting the black-on-black one with a palisander fretboard (they didn’t have the tort-on-black with maple).

Overall, I’m quite happy. I’ll post some pictures. The neck is beautiful, and the build quality’s pretty excellent too, especially given the price. Also, the bridge has holes for string-through.

2 Likes

Well we know how this will end up…

2 Likes

That’s the danger now, isn’t it? Fortunately I would rather be John Entwhistle than Pete Townshend, and my guitar gods are like Malcolm Young, Tom Petty, Miku Cluppo. Problem is, Miku and Tom use Ricks. But Gretsch is the way to start and see if I suck.

I’m more into the rhythm though.

3 Likes

It’s kind of a long term plan to save money by spending money now, if that makes sense. I’m interested in different compressors, preamps, cabs etc but don’t want to buy a lot of equipment. With Helix I can get a pretty close digital equivalent of a lot of gear for no outlay.
I love the Zoom B1 but I just spent 30 minutes creating an Ampeg B15 preset. It’s just the Ampeg head, cab and compressor and it already sounds head and shoulders above the Zoom.
I’ve watched a ton of YouTube content from various musicians (some of them session musicians) who really rate the Helix system. So it’s definitely good enough for a hack like me.
The free Helix Edit software seems pretty intuitive. So far, so bass.

10 Likes

That’s kinda what I tried to do with the Fender Rumble Studio, you did it in a much better way.
Nice unit man.

5 Likes

Sounds like music to my ears!

3 Likes

So, I went for flatwounds for new bass, which will arrive next week, to a music store and they had this little beast on display there. After a bit of twiddling with knobs, I had to buy it.

Arturia Microfreak. The amount of sounds in this little package is absolutely insane. For around 250 bucks. Recommend

15 Likes

Awesome!

3 Likes