GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

I have some pancake patch cables and almost never end up using them :joy: due to closeness of jacks on the pedals I have, they just get in the way of each other when I’m trying to cram pedals as close together as I can :eyes:

2 Likes

Ooo - have you tried it out yet?

2 Likes

No. I’m now deep in a rabbit hole of two string slide basses like Mark Sandman played (invented) in Morphine. It’s not as easy as taking two strings off. Not even close. It’s like turning a bass into a lap steel hybrid. Seems to be a lot of discussion on how to do it. Trying to sort out the “right way”. Interesting stuff. Lots of people make them and from What I can tell not all the same way and many fail to get the right tone.

Everything in life takes five more steps than initially planned.

5 Likes

Invariably, any project you undertake will be twice as expensive and take three times as long as planned.

4 Likes

Both my loop switchers have that same problem. The SP400 ends solve that no matter how close the jacks are. I’ve been buying the cheap Hosa ones, which work great but the big round flange means no closey closey.

I just need to buy lord knows how many at a “those are how much each??” Price and finish the projects.

9 Likes

You win quote of the day sir.

4 Likes

@Ed we finished too late to make noise in this small condo complex. I will tonight though. Might get to gig with it Monday so I need to dial the unity in at least.

3 Likes

I have some Fishman Fluences in a 5 string Mikro bass. They’re rather impressive. They have five north/south ceramic magnets in them and carefully made micro-lithographic like coils, etched and stacked on circuitboards.
The Sims Super Quads are differently constructed and may actually be more versatile.

2 Likes

it was the original location for the thumb rest. when electric basses were still a brand new thing and people played uprights mostly, the idea was for the rest to be a “tug bar”. you would grab it with your fingers and pick with your thumb.

2 Likes

I know what they are for in that location. I just think calling it a thumb rest is dumb when it isn’t being used for that…

2 Likes

Which is the reason why it’s called a tug bar, as several people have already explained in this thread.

4 Likes

i think almost everybody agrees which is why they didn’t last long :rofl:

2 Likes

So it’s a dumb rest?

3 Likes

that was kinda my point. People keep bringing it up XD it gets annoying being told the same thing over, and over, and over

Yes :thinking:

1 Like

Look on the bright side at least you don’t work in construction where I explain the same thing over and over again to some of the dumbasses who end up in this profession.
Leo called it a thumb rest. It’s his invention so he gets to call it what ever he wants.

5 Likes

We call unwanted messages, calls, and email spam because of an old Monty Python skit. Names are names

1 Like

So it’s a rest for Spam.
Now I know where to put that stuff.

2 Likes

Living languages are weird fun. Related, irregardless is making its way into dictionaries, now, iirc. Hooray! \o/ XD

1 Like

Might be worth checking @John_E

2 Likes

There is much discussion on side material and tone to get Mark Sandman’s signature tone. I’m going to try both glass and brass.

The harder part is the two string slide bass, which, after some digging, is a thing all its own, but I have some ideas.

2 Likes