GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Then there’s the whole tone glass discussion …

2 Likes

I seriously always thought it was just a bass with 2 strings removed…

2 Likes

It is, and it isn’t.
The strings are D-A or C-G depending on song but the lower string is the D. There is some debate on which strings and tuned in which direction. Consensus seams to be tuned up as too floppy the other way. So tension is high.
In order to use the slide without hitting the frets the nut has to get raised about 1/4”, and the bridge might need modding (depending on break angle of strings) to match height or strings break even more readily. . It’s basically a bass lap steel with two strings. Apparently if you get the angles wrong you break a lot of strings.

3 Likes

Since I see a lot of “cheapest stand they sell at the music store” posts in show us your basses, I feel I should post this:

They’re only $20 and vastly superior to the $15 (or maybe $10, I think I’ve seen as low as that before) single stands, and come in a variety of colors (seafoam, red, daphne blue, white, black). The foam is thicker with a nice give, the neck brace is taller, instead of that awful hard piece of rubber given to keep the instrument in the stand, a sturdy plastic fastener is provided that is part of the stand; it can’t be lost and doesn’t feel like it will break any time soon. And if it does, they have lifetime warranties. If you’re able to purchase these stands I highly recommend them over the typical single instrument stands I see everywhere (I have one, too, but I’ve since converted it to an EWI stand using a drummer drink holder XD )

I have two of these and think they are worth every penny if you live some place where you can get them.

7 Likes

I love that company, nice stuff. Pretty much exclusively use their cables now :+1:

3 Likes

New toy. Sounds great, the Bluetooth input is nice and its sooo cute. Roughly twice as big as my cheap-o fly amp. Which means its tiii-nee :sweat_smile:

PJB nanobass x4

10 Likes

Awesome! I read you can use it for any instrument

4 Likes

I’m am positive it would sound great with anything, a lot of people (like me) use their cabs in FRFR setups.

4 Likes

I need a 4x12 like I need an STI…

7 Likes

Hah, yes OTOH

4 Likes

85lbs of back-breaking bass :joy:

5 Likes

It’s like a pomeranian vs. a rottweiler

4 Likes

On all their cabs the company mentions casters. They do not mention wheels at all for the massive 4x12. Looking at pictures it’s hard to see if they have wheels on the back like basically every other cab this size. Surely they are not so insane XD though they are guitarists making cabs for bass players… :thinking:

$600 vs $1200 new and the color is right. But I really do not need something like this until I’m in a band… and I really want something FRFR anyway (IR loader on the amp head I want)

Edit The picture at the guitar shop shows wheels on the back, at least.

4 Likes

I’ll give one a try, though in Daphne Blue to match my blue cable and blue bass

5 Likes

Mine are both white (for my purple instruments…). I forgot to add that the tubes are also thiccer/bigger than the cheapy stands, too.

I also just ordered one of their speakon speaker cables for reasons that are not for that monster cab (no really, I didn’t get it lol. I’m not quite sure it will even fit in my hatchback though probably). I might even give their instrument cables a shot if/when I need some.

Too bad they don’t have a lavender purple, but then again there were no iconic instruments made in that color for them to mimic XD

5 Likes

Question - Do they fold up easily to fit in a gig bag or are they more of a fixed thing for home?

3 Likes

While the neck is removeable/adjustable, it doesn’t fold at the gooseneck like some of them do, nor does the bottom brace/rest/U fold like some do. The legs fold.

I wouldn’t think to cram it into a gig bag tbh. In-fact, I just took one apart to see, and there’s no way it was going into either my Mono M80 (currently called the Classic) or my Fusion Urban, which are both pretty large bags.

The cheapy I still have which is converted to an EWI stand folds up a lot more compactly, including the base/bottom rest/U and at the goose-neck (not all stands fold here, though). It might be able to fit into a larger gig bag.

4 Likes

I just add pipe insulation from Home Dept to all my stands.
Works for me but YMMV

2 Likes

I’m looking into this for building a larger DIY multi-guitar stand to replace the shitty not great one I got off Amazon…

2 Likes

I fixed Digital Deck Cover’s screw ups (I found three stitches, three! That were botched and poorly done lol. screw this company)

Toddler pillow for comfort:

(it’s really blue, looks more white in the photo than it is…)

2 Likes