GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

The only thing stopping me from selling down to a single bass is I can’t decide which of my two I would keep :slight_smile:

I console myself with the fact that they are quite different, and between the two cover all styles. Then again I only care about three or four genres when it comes to my own stuff.

Oh well. Two is fine.

6 Likes

The wonders of modern technology for you . . . right at your fingertips! :wink:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Love thy boomer

3 Likes

I honestly would enjoy have just 1-2 (3 tops) really nice basses. This comes from really getting into learning the instruments and settling into something I like. My knee-jerk reaction says one would be The Beast, but I’m really in love with these purple Schecters and I know I would definitely keep the C-5 GT. There are definitely times when doing scales or other runs where I have to shift on the 1st/G string and miss The Beast’s C. But not terribly often.

I don’t necessarily count the SRC6 or Mikro among them. Those are my experimental or play instruments. But the 4-string Stiletto and GWB35 have got to go. I keep telling myself “But fretless!” but I never play it.

Selling is a pain, though, too, at least to me.

I like that finish. I’ve since decided that I can’t order burl finishes from just anywhere; I want to choose it if I get one, if I can. So it’s in-person or say, Sweetwater, for me.

3 Likes

@Koldunya Any further thoughts on the Exponent?

I had been dithering over picking up a Helix Stomp XL for a while but am now more inclined to go for the Enhance and a DG210N cab.

Have you tried incorporating external pedals into the send return loop and if so how did it work out?

2 Likes

It has faults, but I adore it. The chorus is a nice one, the reverbs are nice enough, the compressor does its thing, and right now I have my most favorite bass sound ever between it and the C-5 GT. I really wish it had a little more DSP power under the hood; maybe it’s the “I like to have plenty of headroom” in me, but hitting 80% with a compressor (15%), B3K (25%), Amp EQ (5%) GEQ (5%), Noise Suppressor (10%), and Cabsim (20%) is a thing. For most people it’s probably fine, if you want to play “ambient guitar” you’ll need or want a little help :rofl:

That said, I do have a preset with a Reverb into a Chorus into a Reverb that sounds super lush…

I almost went for the 2x10. $200 more, but I almost went for it lol. I’m happy with my DG112N though, too. There’s a Hartke 2x10 nearby for cheap, but this amp would overpower its 200W rating though not at my volumes. But I don’t need two cabs right now, either lol…

I’m going to do that today with some reverbs, a TC Trinity and a Neunaber Wet. It sorta kills me inside that there is no way to mute/bypass the effects loop, but it is what it is. I have 5 presets I can use to knock the loop out of the picture anyway, and I can’t imagine needing more presets at one time.

Preset management is cancer, though. The Suite app is constantly fetching the preset from the amp, so I’m repeatedly having to retype the name and author to save a preset. It’s fucking aggravating when doing minor tweaks lol. Once set, it’s fine, but actually making presets is frustrating.

We did get two new delays in a free update recently.

Edit I cannot find what I did with my other patch cables, and I don’t want to dismantle my neat pedalboard, so I still haven’t tried the effect loop lol.

I used headphones since it’s early, and… wow. I am never “going direct” without a speaker sim again. The bass sounded dry and sorta bland. It did not sound as grin-inducing and happiness-causing as using the DG112N. I added the cabsim w/ the DG212N IR and it once again sparked joy, so I saved a “Headphone Practice” preset XD

3 Likes

I can’t help but feel even more salty at zZounds for taking so long to ship my new speakers; Would be arriving today otherwise. But it’s estimated tomorrow, and we just got a winter weather advisory warning alert that the cynic in me is telling me will surely delay it even further.

But I’m not having a bad anxiety day so I can deal with my Eris E8’s singing me the song of their people.

1 Like

Cool, I look forward to your impressions of how that works out.
If there ever was going to be a fly in the ointment I’d expect it to be the integration of an analogue signal into the middle of a DSP chain.

2 Likes

Works fine, and changing presets it sounds great. The only weird thing is where the loop is placed in the chain vs something like a cabsim. There is a noticeable change in timbre but that’s to be expected since it’s just a fancy EQ. Switching between presets with no cabsim is smooth as butter. I expect it to be the same with the same cabsim settings but I forgot to test that as I was already unhooking stuff when I thought about it lol :woman_facepalming:t2:

Me: Sweet, this amp has built-in effects, it will surely cure pedal GAS
Also me: Well this sounds great in the effects loop… :tipping_hand_woman:t2:

Thankfully Thomann US sells cheap AF Harley Benton pedalboards :eyes:

2 Likes

You’re not helping my GAS here! :wink:

2 Likes

Originally no, but now yes. Pickup and action are now at the same height, same strings (well, same brand and model strings, the MiM has had them for… a month now, I think, and they’re brand new on the MiA), and the MiA definitely has a warmer, more mellow tone. Crazy, I can’t explain it. Other than maybe a different pre-amp or something? But the Fender spec page for both just says “18-Volt Preamp with Active 3-Band EQ”. So I got nothin’. :smiley:

That is REALLY cool looking. Very nice.

At one point, at the peak of my GAS, I had five basses: a Carvin LB20, a Carvin B4, an Ibanez SR300, an Ibanez SR500EPB, and an Ibanez SR375E. It was… too many basses for my playing level and ability. I couldn’t focus on just one, I’d keep switching back and forth between them as my mood dictated, so I’d never make any progress on lessons or anything.

“This would sound so much better on that bass. No, wait, that one. Wait, the first one? No, definitely this one.”

I recently got down to two, which was my sweet spot: my MiM Dimension, and my Player Jazz. Now I’m back up to three, but one has to go. I think that I’ll stay at two. :slight_smile:

It TOTALLY is. To @Al1885 's point, you get all kinds of people coming out of the woodwork with… interesting trades and offers. My favorites, though, are when you listed something for, say, $500 and they offer $250. I can’t stop laughing hard enough.

Or when you list it at a price, and the first question you get is something like “what’s the lowest you’ll go?” Are they really expecting a response something like “well, shoot, I just listed this at $500, but since you asked, I’ll actually sell it to you for $300”?

4 Likes

Well, it cured my amp GAS at any rate. I’m married to Darkglass, now lol. And I have Vintage Microtubes, B3K Microtubes, and Alpha-Omicron flavors for preamp/overdrive, plus whatever the “Leo” preamp is emulating (obviously some Fender…). I definitely don’t feel the need to look at chorus pedals anymore, either; I like the one this has well enough. The compressor does nicely, too, as it’s the FET portion of their own Luminal

It’s so small I bet I could put it and a pedalboard in the Microtubes 900 bag if I was gigging :rofl:

4 Likes

I mean, this is how wholesaling houses works XD though not quite that drastically.

But I also list things for sale below the lowest price I could find anyway. I don’t want it to sit for ages not selling

But then again, if I don’t put “or best offer” I’m probably not going to entertain offers, either. If I am entertaining offers and someone offers me $300 on something listed for $500, and that’s already below the average, I might come back with $480 or $475; I’m definitely not going to “meet them halfway” on something like that lol… if asked “lowest I’ll go,” in that instance I might even say “$450” and see if they bite. Or explain to them I’m already selling it cheaper and offer out $475, etc.

But yeah, some people are insane.

2 Likes

Not really crazy. You don’t know the specs of the pickups ans I would bet they are different.

Have you called Fender and asked?
Or looked / asked over on talkbass?
This is one of those things you will get good answers on over there. It’s not all bad there for sure.

1 Like

@HowlinDawg I forgot, and this may or may not be a thing for you, but using the Suite app on my phone, at least, changing parameters is not real time. The change does not occur until after I stop touching/moving the knob. Of course the Quick Pots on the amp itself operate in real-time.

2 Likes

Interesting. I’ll make sure to investigate the software before i make a call. :+1:

I’m in no hurry.

1 Like

Suite for Windows is still on 4.2.3 and doesn’t support the Exponent until 4.3.0 (Mac) :unamused:

1 Like

I think I’m down to 6 lol.

I have a 5 and a 6 string for when I am ready master that.

Then I got 4

Quinn, my Harley P Bass because sometimes you need a P

My Charvel

My Stream

My on order waiting for release MDB5

The rest can be culled

4 Likes

I’ve seen all kinds on Offerup. When I was listing a bunch of Squier strats with theme mods there’s 2 guys kept asking me to trade to their same color strats, then later asked me where I get my upgrades parts, lol. I told them tell me what you want I’ll sell it to you.

One guy asked me how much is the gold p bass he saw in the picture behind the bass I’m listing. I said it’s not for sale, again he asked I said $1400, then he started to say for an MIM? That’s outrageous! Now I’m insulted, I said as I listed the parts for you it’s more than what I was asking, the verbal assault continued, I told him I told you it was not for sale and do you even know companies like Hipshot, RayRoss, Optima gold strings, and EMG, as well as the cost of vintera roasted maple neck? I told him to stick with selling the power tools. Lol

5 Likes

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BASSRIGSV--origin-effects-bassrig-super-vintage-bass-preamp-pedal

Gasgasgasgasgasgasgasgas

3 Likes