GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

I love mine, very very vversitle. No bassman BUT you get B15N for Mowtown old school fun and a modern SVT as well as the classic SVT. The bit switch is great too.

2 Likes

I played with the Geddy Lee Sansamp at my local Long and Mcquades, and I have to say that yeah if you want that Geddy Lee sound it works really well giving you that nasal treably farting sound but I figured since I had the Steve Harris one anyways it wasn’t for me.

Interestingly, the SH sansamp is difficult to dial in with my JJ, or was when it had the singlecoil pups. Since I put in the splits, it plays nicer, but still not as nice as the P with flats. So o wonder whether the way it manages frequencies is not as good for rounds or maybe, probably, I make as good a sound engineer as a goat’s ass makes a trumpet.

2 Likes

What did you end up using for splits? I have a MIA Fender Jazz that I was considering upgrading from singles, and was looking at Nordstrand or Fralin. Similar price, expensive upgrade, and it’s not my primary axe.

1 Like

I went the poor man’s route. I bought Dragonfire alnico J splits. These guys:

$120 Canadian Pesos shipped when I got them. Super happy with the pups: still have some of the jazz bass fart-burp, but the lows are much rounder. Also super fast shipping - week and a half to Canada at the height of the supply chain goatf&$k last fall (by comparison, SD Steve Harris pups took four months at the same time).

I have read on the interwebs that their QC is intermittent, as they are a small shop. YMMV. Also more hum-reducing than hum cancelling, but I have a noisy electrical installation.

2 Likes

Hum cancelling is my main motivator, I like to run my pups at different volumes. I don’t mind the sound of the stock pups, I just dont like matching the volume on the neck and bridge. Humbuckers ruined me on this.

Very different animals.
Nordstrand generally very modern, Fralin the best damn classic pickups going IMO
Do some listening on YouTube and let your ears tell you.

2 Likes

There are also the Seymour Duncan Apollo hum cancelling J pickups. If I was in the money, those would be my choice, but they are about $200 so at least double

1 Like

I have Apollos in my Paranormal. I really like them, only good things to say about them

13 Likes

Sigh…ended up buying the Bassrig

4 Likes

Being lazy I will store this information. Thank you

Interesting. I’m hoping it will like the Dimarzio pickups the jazz bass has ! I’ve already got a set of flats on her

3 Likes

No worries @Mac , she’ll be right!

EDIT: the Steve Harris sansamp has different frequency settings. It’s treble setting is at 3000 Hz rather than the usual 5000 Hz, so you lose a lot of the bridge pickup fartiness of a jazz bass, but when you use the bite switch, it gives a lot of nasty staticky top end, making it sound kinda screetchy. You have to play with the settings a lot to balance it out.

The VT will be just dandy.

3 Likes

I love Dimarzio

3 Likes

Cool @MC-Canadastan

I was very lucky with the pickups already been fitted in 1978 @Wombat-metal . They do sound very nice too

3 Likes

That’s what I’m using on the Moolah Bass

3 Likes

I haven’t seen the moolah bass in awhile, show us the $$$

4 Likes

Still sanding, but I’ve made progress. I’ll get a pic posted in a bit in the Project Bass thread

2 Likes

You would think that as expensive as some of these can be (cough bassrig) they’d at least include the power supply

5 Likes

For $672 USD you make a valid point!

4 Likes

Hell, it’s expensive enough at $500 let alone spend an extra $172 for an adapter.

3 Likes

Oh no, you don’t get an adapter from these guys for $672 just a list of suggested adapters you might like to buy :clown_face:
I understand though that most users will have pedal boards with dedicated power supplies for this very purpose.

4 Likes