GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

I knew within 10 minutes of playing thru the Agro, it was not anywhere near what I was looking for. For some it might be a good pedal, but first off, it is advertised as a “distortion” pedal, and it is truly an overdrive pedal. I purchased it because I wanted something between my Earthquaker Labs Plumes OD pedal and my EHX Big Muff. naturally that would be a distortion pedal. The agro was nothing much different then my Plumes. I would go so far as to say it was not even as much of an OD as my Plumes (with different clipping options and tone shaping).
This Alpha Omega Ultra is the perfect in between, at the same time as being so much more than just a pedal.
Of course it is double the cost of an Agiluar Agro, which is double the price of the Plumes.
I guess what I am saying is, I am not at all impressed with Agiular Agro pedal. I have not tried any of their other pedals, but after spending $200 for a pedal that underperformed my $100 pedal, I am probably not going to spend another $200 to test an Agiular pedal against another $100 pedal.
My guess is that the EHX Small Clone would beat the Agiular Chorasaurus.

So I guess I have a question. Agiular seems to be a very well respect and highly rated company. is this just for their Amps mostly? I have heard mixed reviews of the ToneHammer or ToneBone, or whatever that Agiular OD / DI box is as well. Are they just over rated? is it all hype?

I wil say one good thing about the Agiulalr Agro. it was built like a freaking tank. about the most solid constructed pedal I have ever picked up.
Moreso then DarkGlass with their machined housings. Boss probably comes close to how solid the Agro was, but I would have to say Boss is 2nd. Or actually, 2nd would be Zoom MS-60b (that is a tank in itself) then the Boss pedals.
That said, Behringer BDI-21 is built pretty damn solid, and the TC E TonePrint pedals are pretty damn sound too.
EHX and MXR, ehh, strong enough, but not tanks.

2 Likes

It’s reviews like this that help people like me who to be brutally honest have little to no idea what they’re looking for or at.

2 Likes

you will catch on quick, I am starting to. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

The tonehammer di/preamp is really nice, it’s literally hard to get it to sound bad. The only reasons I didn’t keep it is the problem with the drive switch (way higher output), the fact that I really don’t need drive to start with, the fact that I wanted something that was a little more compatible with my piezo ubass, and of course the fact that I’m a gear flipper and curious about other pedals :joy:

I can say if I ever trade up my main rig I would be looking damn hard at the tonehammer head and sl cabinets, I think they’re both state of the art right now.

4 Likes

Yeah, I am also going to replace my pick up in my Ray 4 with the Agiular, so I guess my statement was not well thought out.

2 Likes

Way too much gear topics going on about pedals at the moment. This is going to be time-consuming and expensive :sweat_smile:
Well, at least my MBD seems to have subsided :joy:

5 Likes

GAS for MBD has certainly subsided. When I am looking online and seeing basses that I would consider, I now am thinking of which one I have that I will get rid of to make room.
my selection of basses has narrowed to only a few specific basses, where I used to be, I want to try this, and I want to try that, and this, and that.
then I kept the first this, and got rid of the that and the this and that again.

I probably would be very far behind in the quest for a complete pedalboard had it not been for Amazon acting as a pedal library for me to check out, try em out, keep what I like - return what I don’t an get more to try.

3 Likes

Even though I could try something similar, it would be rather annoying to do so. There’s a fairly good return policy for Amazon in Europe, however our postal services don’t pick up packages, so I’d have to go to the postal office to send anything back.
Knowing what sound I’m looking for might help me reduce the risk of needing to return stuff, hopefully… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yep mine too although @T_dub has got me hunting for pedals now.
Bass wise I pick up only two regularly,either the SR650 which I’ve just this minute Putin it’s stand or the P bass which was played most of the afternoon prior to horse duties.

The Miss Potential project will be finished and probably sold on to buy more pedals once this Covid-19 mess is stabilised

3 Likes

Yeah, but the UPS stores are all over the place, I have 2 within 2 miles of here.
With modulation pedals, for the most part, I get a cheap one and a name brand at the same time and test them side by side to see if the cheap one lives up to the expensive ones or not.

3 Likes

We’re almost totally reliant on the postal service here. Especially at the moment when we are not supposed to be more than 5kms from our home address and only one member of the household can leave the residence once a day for an hour for one of 4 necessities.

4 Likes

Luckily, we got rid of lockdown for some time now and I don’t think we’ll get back to it.
With regards to picking pedals, there seem to be a lot of classics that are good choices as long as one can afford them. The tricky part is going to build around them to get the sound I want to get. But that one might be worth a topic by itself :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve just begun to have a “ play” and only with a compressor and the Zoom B1four but I’m having fun .
I’m really amazed at the difference in sounds I can get from each bass

3 Likes

I’ve actually kind of got anti-MBD at the moment, really only playing my Yamaha much. Might sell the 'wick.

4 Likes

I like the Zoom, it’s a quick fix for playing different styles of music, but somehow I have trouble building my own sound with it… Maybe it’s just too many options to try :thinking:
And of course I wouldn’t expect it to do the same job as a pedal worth twice as much and only focused on that one effect :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

There are differences in sound that I wanted to explore that led me to my 4 guitars. Now I’m modifying my PJ by upgrading the pickups. It’s part of wanting a new sound and part of curiosity and challenge.
I could go and just buy a new one, but it’s still a lot of money… Might get a real US Precision one day, but not right now :laughing:

4 Likes

The American P bass is still something I do have an itch to own but I’m wondering if it would be such a big improvement over my MIM?
Even with an American P I would probably end up swapping the pickups and pots lol :joy:

2 Likes

Any orange musicman bass fan here? @T_dub ?
https://link.2ememain.be/m1587955528?utm_source=android_social&utm_content=vip&utm_medium=android_social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons

3 Likes

@T_dub​:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:!!!

4 Likes

Yes, that’s awesome. Would be better if it were a 4 IMO, but ORANGE is my color for sure!

I am half way at this point. I have reached a plateau.
I have been selling / trading / flipping a lot of the equipment / Basses I have acquired, and only focusing on finishing the pedalboard. Other then the Zoom B1-four and MS-60b, I don’t have any extra pedals that are not on my board. I am not gonna have a collection of pedals I don’t use,
Now that I found my groove with the Basses I do play, Iam started to sell the others off.

3 Likes