GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Upgrade complete :grin:

11 Likes

And… ?

4 Likes

The sound is clearly better. Unfortunately, I did not record anything, still having trouble with recording software :confused:
As I changed the strings as well, I will review the setup as well.
It was an interesting experience, first time I had a look under the pickguard.
It’s a solderless kit but I still had to do some soldering because of the type of jack. The jazz pickup is a bit larger as well, so I needed to increase the opening to fit it in.

6 Likes

Cool, nice work

2 Likes

That’s absolutely absurd, and draconian to say the least! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

The government are making a fortune out of fines that are in the area of $1000’s of dollars per offence @PamPurrs

4 Likes

:rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:Disgraceful.

3 Likes

Anybody had any experience with the new line of Fender pedals?
The Bubbler Chorus pedal in particular?

Looks interesting, two separate chorus controls, plus a sine / triangle wave toggle.

I am looking to finalize my board with a chorus pedal.
I was either going to get the EHX Bass Clone (cost effective option, with cool x-over to keep the bass tone unmodulated, so the highs get the effect, sounds cool.

Or the Source Audio Gemini Chorus pedal.
The most expensive I am looking at, but, I am sure there is a way to get the same amount of control, if not more then the Fender Bubbler (as far as dual rates and shape), plus it is 3 pedals in one (one at a time) because it can also be (identical to) the Source Audio Lunar Phaser or Mercury Flanger.
I wonder if there is any type of x-over that can be created in the offline software. I will look into it. I really love Source Audio, and really want at least one of their pedals on my board. That said, I still could end up with the Bass Clone in the end.

3 Likes

I’m starting to see where this really seems to matter for bass effects of many types. I think the Darkglass X really has that part figured out and I just looked at a dual band compressor for bass where you can set crossover and individual compression settings per band.

4 Likes

Yeah, it can sure be helpful. DarkGlass doesn’t make a Chorus pedal that I know of. On my Alpha Omega Ultra, they have a Bass and or Treble boost
The Bass Boost is “Growl” and the Treble is “Bite”

The MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe also has a x-over, and a Flanger button if case you want to use it as such.

I looked into the Neuro software for Source Audio, and you CAN set threshold values for the Bass for the Chorus, and Flanger, and Phaser, which is basically what the x-over on the EHX Bass Clone Chorus and MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe pedals do, is set a threshold to cut off at 100hrz (or whatever the measurement is behind the 100), so yes, you can set up the Source Audio Gemini as tho a x-over is on.

4 Likes

Can we have the link?

3 Likes

The nice thing about having the toggle for the X-over is you can switch it on the fly. I don’t think you could do that through the software, could you?

4 Likes

Yeah I flip mine all the time depending on the sound I want.

3 Likes

I love how my Microtubes X handles this, yeah. For both the low and high end. Such a good pedal.

I love this feature in general. I now have this or the equivalent on four pedals:

• EHX Bass Clone chorus (x-over)
  • Darkglass Microtubes X (Low/High mix, low pass filter, high pass filter, Mids blend)
  • EHX Bass Big Muff (dry mix switch, which does the same thing effectively for this pedal)
  • EHX Battalion (blend and separate tone low-pass on the distortion channel, plus pre/post/dry toggle for distortion EQ)

I kind of consider this to be a vital feature at this point.

3 Likes

I believe you can assign it to a switch on the pedal. The MXR has it on the pedal as well. the Fender, no

3 Likes

Well OK, but it’s a bit of a stratosphere budget piece. Onvilabs likes everything they make though.

https://www.fealabs.com/products/db-cl/

This is a neat idea too. It has an EQ that affects only the tone that triggers the compression, not the actual tone.

https://www.fealabs.com/products/opti-fet/

3 Likes

While no doubt amazing, that thing is definitely more compressor than I need on my board. And I love compression :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Those look sick. If both of my pedal suddenly fail, hmmm. maybe?

2 Likes

the FX84 has an expander control for the high frequencies, which makes the thing acts somewhat like a 2-band compressor, because it finally allows a different compression level depending on the frequencies. but it’s simpler than a real 2-band in the way that the high frequencies can only be equally or less (but not more) compressed than the low end. also the crossover frequency is fixed. perfectly fine for me. (but not necessarily for everyone)

5 Likes

The Milk Box seems like a really cool compressor if you can find one in good shape.

6 Likes