GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

These look useful. StewMac also has one, about twice the price, but it is also suitable to use when working on the guitar flat. It says the StewMac version has internal weights. I’m not sure it’s any heavier than the D’Addario guitar rest, but it looks heavier.

3 Likes

I have the Stew Mac one, it is fantastic, but can’t compare it to this one.
But it doesn’t have a cup holder, lol.

4 Likes

ah yeah, looks pretty solid! Haha, never really bothered to look for any others, since I got mine sent by mistake :joy:

cup holder is convenient, that’s for sure! :rofl:

4 Likes

let’s go! :joy:

changed my mind on the Orange Crush 50 after comparing the two with what limited stuff I could remember off the top of my head and general fiddling around :joy:
felt like the Blackstar sounded a bit more bright and clear, with more connectivity, a bit lighter, same price, 10" instead of the Orange’s 12" but still rattled the whole shop :joy: I like it, and now I can practice without having to use headphones all the time :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

Blackstar is really good kit. I myself would have chosen it over the Orange.

4 Likes

I currently find myself with no GAS! I had bought a bass about every month and a half last year…now I have 7. However, if I had discovered the tonal bliss of my ugly, simple single coil 54P Warmoth build first, I think I would have been done with GAS and could have saved quite a bit of money. I have thought about buying the Guild Starfire I, but with a simple twist of a knob on my 54P, I nailed the tone the Guild would have. I wanted a split coil P, but again, just a small adjustment to the 54P and it get’s me to a classic P sound. I boost the tone and it gets me into jazz bass territory. Hell, once I put on the TI jazz flats, it can reproduce just about any tone I want short of slap. And honestly, it slaps okay even with the flats on it although I know it is not ideal (I don’t slap much anyway) I even thought about changing the pickup to one from Sound Laboatories or Coils Boutique but it sounds so good, I don’t want to mess with it. So my GAS is for now, sated. For how long, who knows!

8 Likes

Luckily GAS is not only about basses… There’s amps, cabs, pedals… So many options :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I have several good amps but mainly use my Eden WTX264 into an Ashdown Rootmaster 4x10 cabinet. With the Boss GT-1B I can dial in any sound I want or need.

5 Likes

It’s all about diet, eating the right things, proper digestion…

But seriously, I am forcing myself to have no GAS. It’s a mantra. “I love my Charvel, I love my Carvin, I love my Fender amp, I need nothing else.” Wash, rinse, repeat.

6 Likes

The heart wants what the heart wants, or whatever body part yearns for basses.

7 Likes

…you’re NOT helping. :smiley:

4 Likes

I just made a mistake tonight. I went to the local Guitar Center, and played a Jazz Bass for the first time…it was so buttery and smooth…I didn’t buy it, but now I want one.

12 Likes

Charvel’s a nice bass

I too am having a non gas moment. My D5s have cured it… almost

I find myself in possession of a Nordstrand 51 p pickup and not sure what to do with it

Do I get a Warmoth body and neck for it, do I get another D5, the fact I haven’t checked prices tells you something about my non gassy state

5 Likes

We are all have our issues better GAS the basses or something. At least it’s not a bad addiction I’m not ingesting anything, lol. Like I said before, at lease it’s cheaper than Mountain biking. Everything is expensive and they don’t feel bad about putting crazy price tag on them either, lol. Plus, there are too many elites pr!cks in the sport, so sad :frowning:

5 Likes

4 string Jazz bass is like a sport car, fast and nimble. Maybe not as spacious, but boy it’s fun.

7 Likes

When I was mountain biking, I spent waaaaaay too much money on bikes. I bought an Independent Fabrications 29er Single Speed that topped out about $6,500.00. Jeff Jones titanium h-bars, CK hubs and other top notch components made it get costly quickly. It was a rolling work of art. When my late wife got sick I had to sell it, my Titus Moto-lite, Specialized Enduro, Trek hard tail and Cannondale Super V for pennies on the dollar. Also sold my Surly Cross Check that I converted to a triple and set up as a touring bike with Nitto racks and Ortlieb panniers. But I had home medical equipment to buy. I would do it all again without hesitation.

2 Likes

Bump Bump Bump

Another one bites the dust…

6 Likes

Well, @joergkutter, you’re not alone in the Mayones Lonely Hearts Club Band, waiting for your new baby to arrive.

I just made a deal with Mayones and put a deposit down on my new Jabba EP Custom P/MM.

Parting with the money was the easy part. Now comes the waiting…

and waiting…

and waiting…

and waiting…

and waiting…

and waiting… :sob:

7 Likes

Yeah I spent $12k on my last mountain bike. Normal people outside the sport have good reason to question the insanity of spending that much on a bike.
But then again @Al1885 I’m a prick :wink:

3 Likes

What kind of bike costs that much? I haven’t ridden in a few years so lost an idea of costs.