GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

@John_E Not sure if this is the one you were already looking at.

2 Likes

Funny that you mention coffee…

True confessions: I have a coffee grinder that cost about $100 more than my bass… and a “coffee maker” that can’t even heat its own water that cost 2x more than my amp.

10 Likes

No, that one just came up.
I was looking at one on Ebay for $1900.
That seller refused to tell me where he got it or convince me of any non-fakery.

I would never pay $3K plus for a bass that Gene himself says isn’t made of very high quality, lol. If this one is still there the next time I head to Rochester, I will stop in and at least check it out to know what they are like as Syracuse is along the way and I know the shop.

3 Likes

Paging @howard

6 Likes

lol Harajuku

well at least it is convenient

And I guess great commentary on Fender as a Fashion Accessory too

Harajuku is more or less the teen fashion center and also ground zero for the “kawaii (cuteness) culture” movement.

2 Likes

The Queen of Harajuku singing Harajuku Iyahoi

https://youtu.be/mAGyQ5Rmz7o

Odd place for a Fender store

3 Likes

Harajuku is the kind of place people who have never been to Tokyo might think is a cool spot for a Fender store.

The place they are putting it is actually Jingumae near Omote-Sando, which is not that bad of a spot, but that area is more super upscale shopping like Louis Vuitton.

3 Likes

That’s probably true. I associate Harajuku kawaii culture. The new Fender MonoNeon would fit in

2 Likes

Guess they want to avoid being compared to other brands :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Actually yeah - they will be the only large musical instrument store in that immediate area. If they had gone in to Ochanomizu they would have been up against ESP’s custom shop and a big gang of stores full of Momose and Atelier Z. Lol good luck.

4 Likes

I was eyeballing this too - sexy bass!

2 Likes

Well, after enduring the Josh-mandated one month cooling off period, I finally gave in and got the Squier 40th anniversary precision I’d been eyeing up in the music shop. They should run these shops like pubs - the owner should say “Sorry sir you’ve had enough - go home and sleep it off” lol.

Anyway I am not ashamed! The bass is light, comfortable and has a good full sound. The neck has a good feel and the picking position is really comfortable. I’m looking forward to dozens of GnR, Ramones and (maybe) Iron Maiden covers!

22 Likes

P Bass, everyone gets there in the end. Nice bass. Still no rug though.

6 Likes

I have been nosing around on Reverb, and it is the worst thing I could have done. Some pretty great deals on there, some of them new or like new instruments at several hundreds of dollars cheaper than brand new. I’ve made a deal with the wife not to buy anything until I have completed B2B to her satisfaction. She is the level headed of the two of us when it comes to hobbies and toys :rofl:

6 Likes

Hah! Actually I could do with one now I think about it…

4 Likes

Nice chair though

6 Likes

Upholstery does not count as a rug.

3 Likes

Congrats man!
Lots of great pickup upgrade options for that puppy as well, enjoy it as is for a while first though, you never know.

5 Likes

As someone who lives 20 minutes from mid-town Manhattan - WTF can’t they put one in NYC!!!
There are ZERO mega music stores in NYC, the ‘big’ GC is total crap now post covid.

We just can’t have nice things.

2 Likes

Thanks! I really like the stock pickups at the moment but we’ll see - I’ve heard the Geezers are pretty :metal:

5 Likes