GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Geezers are very good but, IMO… very specific.
I just used them on Crystal Blue Persuation as they give the mids/highs a bit more.
But to me, they are not traditional P bass pickups, YMMV.

I don’t think they could end up sounding like @robbp’s last great cover (as a reference point).
Maybe watch Josh’s video on playing like Geezer for a better tonal description of what these pickups are going for on their own.

5 Likes

Still waiting for mine to find me… or the other way round…

I guess I really don’t need a P for the music I am playing and want to play.

Anyhoo, more P basses for you guys :grin:

8 Likes

I’m not going to lie @joergkutter since building up my Fender Jazz from parts it’s pretty much all I play. I weighs 8 1/2 lbs (3.8kg), lightweight hipshot tuners, satin neck (just like my P) and sounds great with the stock Mexican pickups.

14 Likes

Fender Pure Vintage 63s are nice, as are the Nordstrand NP4S (I may have that wrong). Can’t forget Seymour Duncan SMB4 Steve Harris

7 Likes

P and J are equally fun IMO. Love them both!

5 Likes

My Jazz-y bass with rounds gets the lion’s share of my play time. My P-ish bass with TI Jazz flats is a stone-cold joy, too. I love bouncing back and forth between the two.

4 Likes

I really dig Nordstrand NP4s.

3 Likes

Very pretty. Congrats!

5 Likes

Wish it weren’t all black, but another good looking jazz from FGN

No Control Plate!!!

14 Likes

Important thing is you have a bass you really like to play - doesn’t matter whether it’s a P, a J or a Geoff :crazy_face:

PS: I like your arrangement with an old-fashioned resonant boom box underneath the Rumble for that extra rumble :wink:

3 Likes

It’s a little amp stand I knocked up in my shop a while back out of leftover material.

14 Likes

Oh you guys are total GAS men. :wink:

I’ll have to check them out but the standard pups definitely sound good enough - for now anyway…

4 Likes

Thanks @JerryP ! Feels good too. Very comfortable playing position :+1: I’m seriously impressed for a relatively inexpensive bass

3 Likes

I’m saying nothing @Ed :grin:

5 Likes

I believe there is a thunderbird somewhere out there with your name on , @Mac :grin:

4 Likes

Just one?!

4 Likes

One of the best bargains in P pups is the DiMarzio Model P. How did I forget that?

Not trying to get you to swap out yet, just stating these are IMO some of the best choices for when you’re ready, if you ever decide to change

4 Likes

No problem - I appreciate the recommendations :wink::+1:. I might start by trying some higher end p basses and see how they sound - just to feel out the options :grin:

4 Likes

Check out Oliver Tobyn’s YT channel. He has done many tone tests of pickups. No frills, or crustaceans, just tone.

4 Likes

Mmmm…crustaceans.

3 Likes