GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Just got a zoom b1 four, enough for me :joy:

3 Likes

I’ve got a zoom b1 four that’s in transit to me as well. YT vids sold me on it, plenty to have fun with on that unit.

2 Likes

Very much so! Lol
Can sit down just to mess with tones n jam for half an hour or so, then suddenly 3 or 4 hours have passed :rofl:

3 Likes

This is standard practice in saxophones and some other instruments and I’ve never quite understood it.
The “logic” it’s that someone can claim it is their “stolen” instrument and photoshop a pic from their own house/etc. and scam you.

You can always ask for the sn as a condition of sale and generally sellers will share it. If they don’t - then feel free to call shenanigans.

3 Likes

As a reward for finishing B2B I got myself a sort of short scale, octave shifted, five string similar to bass instrument!

16 Likes

Oh a GT racer, man I love those things. :heart:

14 Likes

For the Zoom fans, new multi-stomps presented at NAMM. I always liked the form factor of those pedals.

3 Likes

OK, hear me out… Still ~1 year into bass, moderate development’n’all but… GAS is GAS, right? :smiling_imp:
So as stated earlier I am quite happy with the 40th Anniversary P and J family (but of course awaiting the Sire Z7 :crazy_face:) and just came across this: P-Bass wiring harness. It’s an easy upgrade, probably no pickup change to come.

And the question: if I have to take the strings off for removing electronics then will they get damaged (either at removal or at reinstall)? I have La Bella 760FL set on it that I love and don’t wanna purchase a new set for my stupidity.

So current questions - any thoughts appreciated:

  • what are the dangers (how to avoid them) when removing/reinstalling strings
  • any suggestion regarding keeping or upgrading the electronics (w/o pickups) on the Squier 40th Anniversary P?
2 Likes

You won’t damage the strings. I do this a lot. Leave them in the bridge, no reason to take them out and just move them to the side.

Upgrading control electronics with same (passive to passive like this is) will have ZERO effect on tone and (in this case) a $64 effect on your wallet. You can do it just for fun, but since everything is prewired I doubt you will learn much or get anything out of it.

I did something similar in the beginning but swapped out everything on a Squire (less body neck and pickguard) “for fun”. Then I started soldering. This does look like a nice drop-in kit for a new build or to replace really nasty electronics but for your case, it’s a waste of $

3 Likes

Do any of the paid tab sites have an option to display tabs as standard notation? I’m developing a strong annoyance with tabs now. Incredible amounts of transcribed music for guitars… that I have to twist my brain in knots to read.

Also it’s way way easier to sing/hum off of standard notation and know what a riff is supposed to sound like before playing it.

I know, this is me:
image

4 Likes

I recently installed the Obsidian @totyasrac . Easy to do. Carefully remove the string from the pegs but keep them on the guitar. at the bridge. You can if you wish carefully feed them through the bridge but with flats the silk part is a little thinner so I’m careful with it.

3 Likes

I’ve not been playing bass for all that long but I do remember when I first got my basses that I saw warnings not to remove all the strings together, that when replacing strings you should replace one at a time to avoid having to set up the truss rod again. Is this really a thing? I see loads of times where you have to remove all strings in general maintenance (for example on my acoustic you really have to have all the strings off to get at the truss rod!) with no comments about have having to do the set up all over again. Confused! Been meaning to check this one out for a while.

1 Like

Yeah that’s bollocks. Removing all the strings to work on the bass is fine. The neck has in internal truss rod (usually a steel rod with a thread and nut at one end). It’s designed to counter the pull of the tight strings. Removing the strings and then tightening the strings gets you back to where you were before. You release tension and then reapply tension and return to the same point.

It’s all good.

5 Likes

I can’t recommend a specific tab site, but if you can get the tab in Guitar Pro format - a GP5 file - then you can use Guitar Pro software (and likely many others that can open GP5 files) to display it in whatever format you like, including standard notation:

5 Likes

UltimateGuitar lets you chose tab , standard notation or both :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks for the view, I also don’t really believe much would happen but then again GAS is GAS. I’ll skip on this though because this P sounds to me as a P should* :wink:
(Now closer to 50 my eyes are not as perfect for this as used to be, however reading’s still no issue so not running to the doc yet - in 2023 replaced the pickups on my Squier Sonic successfully so not afraid of such activity if needed.)

*: That is at home via low volume RB210 and NUX preamp/headphone combo. But I had a jam with a newly acquired hard-hitting drummer and my brother-in-law on guitar with the Yamaha BBT500h amp (only 125W@8Ohm) and I was impressed (that even though maxed out poor little amp through the Ashdown 112) how awesome the 40th Anniversary Jazz sounded; next time will take the P to the jam (have to learn a little Rush so I am in deep sh.t :smiley: Geddy is no joke) and hear its sound highly amplified. Expectations are moderate-to-high :smiley:

3 Likes

This :point_up_2:

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere once, it’s more to do with just cutting the strings, the sudden change in tension “could” cause problems, but even then, probably not very likely unless there’s already something wrong to begin with :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Cool that’s kind of where I was getting with everything I was hearing. Just nice to get it confirmed. The’s the problem with the internet; you get all the good stuff with plenty of c**p mixed in!

3 Likes

It’s not an issue to completely remove all strings when either changing strings or doing fretboard maintenance. If anything, a truss rod tweak might be needed, but: A.) not necessarily (if new strings are of similar gauge/tension as the previous set); and, B.) tweaking the truss rod is butt-easy and safe to do.

4 Likes

Actually thinking about it it was Ibanez to blame. From their Maintenance manual: “The strings should be replaced one by one
instead of removing all the strings at once.
This is done to avoid stress on the neck and to reduce the risk
of affecting tremolo balance.”

And I remember thinking that was a new one on me based on my guitar days. And that I was pretty sure these basses are not quite that delicate!

3 Likes