GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Best thing…. Hagerty’s foam or spray silver polish.
And elbow grease

3 Likes

Thanks! Had to google that… but it seems I can get it also in my neck of the woods!

1 Like

So, it’s finally here. I’m officially back in 2-bass land.

I have to say that for an entry-level/cheapie bass she’s a beaut. Of course, it’s not in as good a shape as they shad she is. Desperately needs new strings and a setup. The truss rod’s never been adjusted and the neck’s front bowed by a fair bit. The fretboard needs cleaning and oiling too. What oil would you recommend?

I have a set of Rotosound Swing Bass 66 strings that I just can’t wait to put on.

Now, if only my SD-Stve Harris P-pickups could arrive before the end of August :frowning:

EDIT: Also, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken. It’s a Milestone series bass, not a Millenium. Too bad, but I like it nonetheless.

12 Likes

That’s awesome. Can’t wait to see the whole brass family. You have the right idea with making a spot to relax just far enough away from your setup to have a seat like a fan instead of an engineer.

I don’t know what it is with me but when I wheel myself away from my computer and take a listen to my mix where I can’t physically make an adjustment really forces me to listen to my song like a fan instead of someone that’s got control over the record.

Weird how 3 feet of space away from my DAW forces me to be honest with my music. Plus you get a cool spot to spend free time listening to music when you had enough of recording yourself.

3 Likes

There’s all sorts of discussion on what the best oil is I just use F-one oil.

3 Likes

Nice Peavey! Check out Fretboard Oil for more info.

3 Likes

What’s the little “vent hole” and other black do-dad near the controls/ bridge?

2 Likes

It’s an MM-style truss adjustment wheel.

EDIT: Now I see what you mean. It’s a reflection of my car’s overhead light and ceiling vent :smiley:

4 Likes

I play a Music Man Stingray and rest on the e-string when not playing it and no-where when I am.

3 Likes

The 4 basses I have. The 1 on the left is the first 1 bought. It’s a cheapy and I’m not sure what type it is but the pickups make it look like a PJ

7 Likes

5 Likes

I looks nice @athosmr2003 . What’s the headstock look like?

3 Likes

Update: neck straightened, bridge saddles lowered (quite a bit). The previous owner had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him if the truss rod worked… Fortunately it works without issue. It does require a considerable amount of force to turn it though.

While I was checking neck relief and action height, the previous owner asked what I was doing. The action was quite high, but he had no idea that and how it could be adjusted…

One minor setback: I can’t raise the pickups as far as I’d like. I can loosen the screws, but the pickups just don’t raise any further than a certain amount. I can pull them out, so they aren’t stuck, but they drop back in when I let them go. Guess the foam underneath will have to be replaced.

8 Likes

6 Likes

You can try foam underneath those pickups and see if it works. I used foam for both my J-Bass (the Poison Apple) and the P-Bass (the Turquoise Waters) and the pickups stay nice and high.

3 Likes

Having done this a few times….

• Buy 2x as much foam as you think you need, sometimes you need another 1/2 height foam to fill the void.
  • Even with new foam, once compressed it doesn’t spring up over time very well, grab some pickup screw springs while you are at it and put them in too. I find this works well for adjustments down the road.
4 Likes

That Is a very good looking headstock. I like the shape.

5 Likes

It wasn’t an expensive bass and it was the first I had bought. It was also the first where I broke the E string. What attracted me to it in the first place was the style of the headstock and the sunburst color of the body. At the time I bought it, I had no understanding of the types of basses or pickups, but now that I’ve built 2 of my own, I have a much better understanding…and reading Geddy Lee’s book didn’t hurt.

3 Likes

20% off EVERYTHING at Stew Mac……

https://www.stewmac.com/?utm_source=delivra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=New%20Site%20Sale-a-bration&utm_id=3062824&utm_term=New+Site+Grand+Opening+Event

3 Likes

I wish I had the money to take advantage of the sale. Property taxes got me…and I’m saving for a $220 bass Terry has in his shop

3 Likes