GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

This is just an imo of course, but I don’t really get wanting to swap out pickups and preamps in your bass. I mean if you don’t like your bass’s sound you really shouldn’t have it. And if you do like the sound you’re going to change it?

1 Like

I love my bass, and the sound is not bad, but it is the cheapest line of Stingray’s, and the pick up is one of the money savers on the bass that makes it lower cost.
I do not like the color options for the Ray24 which has a better pick up, plus, if I swap the pick up, I still have the old one and can pop it back in if I choose to at any time.
There are many reasons to love a bass other then sound, there is looks, feel, playability, so if it meets most of the criteria, but not one, would it not make sense to alter that one part about it?
and on the Ray 4 I would only swap the pick up, the pre-amp, a 2 band would not be a very noticeable difference.
Plus its from amazon man, if It is not what I expect it would be, I can ship it back for refund.

4 Likes

Yeah I get ya. I guess I just like the way my basses sound and wouldn’t want to change that. Will be interesting to hear what you think.

2 Likes

I am not even committed to doing it, it is just a thought, I am gonna get the Alpha Omega Ultra pedal first. go from there. I don’t have any complaints about my bass, but I am also not opposed to making it better.

3 Likes

Crikey you must spend a shit load on buying stuff.
I’d love to see a phot of it all in one place.
It would make quite a shot.

4 Likes

Here is the thread for it all

3 Likes

Just what I thought.
Impressive!
I’m not sure I’ll ever get to that point.
I’m not smart enough to know how to use it all.
Just plying the bass plugged straight into the amp is probably enough for me at this stage

3 Likes

Neither am I, I just get something from amazon.
plug it in, like it, keep it
don’t like it, send it back for credit
order something else with credit
rinse, wash, repeat

Good way to learn

3 Likes

Now that’s a plan.
Smart way to learn.
I might look at doing that myself.
Thanks for the heads up.
You’re not just here for your good looks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

So, I was looking at pickups for Stingray’s on Amazon.
What is available is
Agiular - $119
Seymor Duncan - $99
Bartolini - $116
BQLZR - $13.94

So, what are the chances that a cheap Chinese made pick up is in the lowest line of Sterling Stingray’s, the Ray 4.
It is an $80-$100 cost savings.
The next offering from Sterling Up is the Ray24, which cost $200 more then the Ray 4. Noticible differences between the two are
1 - pick up
2 - solid mahogany body

Those two and possibly the difference in Pre-amp price would easily be the difference in cost.
Like I said, I don’t like the colors of the Ray24 for one, and I really like my Ray 4, it is my go to.
So, If I could replace the pick up with an Agiular for say $120, and get a cleaner and grittier sound at the same time, it sounds good to me.
I mean people replace the electronics on Fenders all the time.

IDK, not really going anywhere with this other then to, well, I guess, dispute the statement that if you don’t like the sound of the bass you shouldn’t own it.
I just mean to turn that around and say if you like your bass, and you decide you want to make it better, why not.

People get cars and take them to put new wheels on them all the time, because they wanted he car, but wanted better wheels on it.
Anyway, its not a fight, its just an explanation.

4 Likes

I’ve just replaced the wiring and pickups in the new Fender player because I wanted to. Plain and simple. I couldn’t afford a better P bass but I could buy upgraded wiring and pickups for less.
Nothing wrong with a bit of “home“ improvements @T_dub

4 Likes

What kind of pickup have you put in it @Mac?

3 Likes

I’m seriously considering upgrading my beginner Squier with some Geezer pickups worth half the price of the bass :sweat_smile:
Could think about upgrading the bass, but it would cost a whole lot more to get the true thing. Worst that could happen would be to have to switch them out again and into a new bass :grin:

4 Likes

Yeah, I know @Mac, I Was replying to itsaratso who was saying if you don’t like your bass sound you shouldn’t have that bass.

It’s not a big deal,

I was just trying to point out there are other reasons to upgrade the electronics then not liking the sound of the bass and not keeping the bass.

2 Likes

Well @howard, if only I had been a slacker for a few more days…

Dingwall just posted a video comparing the EMG and Darkglass electronics. Done very well, I think.

Pre amp comparison bewteen EMG and Darkglass Electronics - YouTube

3 Likes

hey you know i wasn’t trying to pick a fight. it was just my opinion, as i stated, not trying to offend you or your decision. and i can see your point, it’s just a lot different from how i feel about it, but sure there are a bunch of reasons to buy a bass other then just sound. no biggie.

5 Likes

It’s also a good excuse in my case to buy another one @itsratso :joy:

4 Likes

Exactly, I was not trying to fight you at all, Hope it did not come off in that tone, I was just showing the other side of the coin, that’s all. We can shake hands and be done with this, move on and keep learning from each other, cuz that’s a big reason I am here, and I learn from each and everybody here, they all have great input, and I value and treasure it being shared with me.

5 Likes

nah, we’re always all good.

4 Likes

Fist Bump

3 Likes