GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Nice looking Jaguar. Always liked Capri Orange.

I had a Player Jaguar and really liked her.

5 Likes

I ended up either even or with a slight profit when I liquidated by pedals. Buy smart and you can easily recoup them.

Behringer has cloned them as well now and the clones are also amazing :slight_smile:

D-50 is the only classic synth plugin I am missing that I want. I would even settle for a D-20. I almost bought one back in the day. Great synths.

I wouldn’t mind an Arturia version of the Korg M1. The Korg plugin is kind of klunky, but sounds good.

5 Likes

That’s what I got is the player. I’m loving it so far.

2 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
And I’ve just received a refund for the Sansamp. Apparently its out of stock

3 Likes

Fiddlesticks

2 Likes

Just picked up a used Roland Micro cube Bass RX. AC or Battery powered, built in effects, drum machine. Perfect for sitting on the porch.

8 Likes

Oh nice :+1: @Barney

Just ordered another Sansamp VT. Cost $70 more but hopefully I’ll get this one

6 Likes

Better choice IMO, like the normal SansAmp but with more drive and tone color.

5 Likes

Yeah I reckon it’s a bit of an upgrade from the other one too @howard .

3 Likes

I’m playing on a Roland amp too. Great stuff :+1:

2 Likes

@Mac I just pulled the trigger on a VT too. I was going back on forth between that and the bass driver version, and it seemed this had a bit more character. The only Sansamp I really didn’t like was the Geddy Lee version (YYZ).

3 Likes

I was considering the Geddy Lee one but couldn’t find a secondhand one anywhere so I opted for the other @AnotherJosh

1 Like

For now I play mostly finger, and I thought this vid really did a good comparison. They have a pic video too, I think you will like the VT with your Fender.

3 Likes

You’re becoming quite a Roland fanboi @Barney - congrats, this looks cool.

3 Likes

I love mine, very very vversitle. No bassman BUT you get B15N for Mowtown old school fun and a modern SVT as well as the classic SVT. The bit switch is great too.

2 Likes

I played with the Geddy Lee Sansamp at my local Long and Mcquades, and I have to say that yeah if you want that Geddy Lee sound it works really well giving you that nasal treably farting sound but I figured since I had the Steve Harris one anyways it wasn’t for me.

Interestingly, the SH sansamp is difficult to dial in with my JJ, or was when it had the singlecoil pups. Since I put in the splits, it plays nicer, but still not as nice as the P with flats. So o wonder whether the way it manages frequencies is not as good for rounds or maybe, probably, I make as good a sound engineer as a goat’s ass makes a trumpet.

2 Likes

What did you end up using for splits? I have a MIA Fender Jazz that I was considering upgrading from singles, and was looking at Nordstrand or Fralin. Similar price, expensive upgrade, and it’s not my primary axe.

1 Like

I went the poor man’s route. I bought Dragonfire alnico J splits. These guys:

$120 Canadian Pesos shipped when I got them. Super happy with the pups: still have some of the jazz bass fart-burp, but the lows are much rounder. Also super fast shipping - week and a half to Canada at the height of the supply chain goatf&$k last fall (by comparison, SD Steve Harris pups took four months at the same time).

I have read on the interwebs that their QC is intermittent, as they are a small shop. YMMV. Also more hum-reducing than hum cancelling, but I have a noisy electrical installation.

2 Likes

Hum cancelling is my main motivator, I like to run my pups at different volumes. I don’t mind the sound of the stock pups, I just dont like matching the volume on the neck and bridge. Humbuckers ruined me on this.

Very different animals.
Nordstrand generally very modern, Fralin the best damn classic pickups going IMO
Do some listening on YouTube and let your ears tell you.

2 Likes