GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Ok, the Warwick, Double Buck Corvette (Rock Bass)
Ehh! IDK, I wanted to love it, and I did like it, but did not fall in love with it.
It may be 100% Combo of the place that it was selling it, and the condition (which was not bad, just no way to fall in love with it).

first the good.
1-The bass is beautiful.
2-The tuners are solid, my friend said they look and feel the same as the ones on his MIG.
3-the Nut and Bridge, are almost 2nd to none, their design is stellar

now the bad (and its not just the bass, not much bad about it)

1-the strings. So bad, old, brittle, thick, and hard to play at all. it was like they were caked in a .25mm thick layer of dust and grime, but they were clean (IDK, cleaned on the surface, couldn’t get the rest out of them). they we’re the strangest “OLD” strings I have ever seen.

2 - the pots are cheap, and at least one is worn out, and will need to be replaced, and probably the input jack, all of which are easy fixes and not too expensive, but need to be factored in.

3-The AMP, that was a real heartbreaker. I LOVE this amp they had there to test. I know because I have played thru it before. I at one point almost went down there to buy the amp, but I held off because, although it is a great amp, it was in no way practice for me (I have some sense, sometimes). But fortunate I did not because the amp was not broken. not broken like it did not power on, but something was very wrong with it, it was completely flat, could not get a good tone out of it. The tweeter may have died, some of the EQ could have gone bad, IDK, sounded like one of the 4 ten inches was blown, but not fully blown, just a tiny rattle from it. I could not tell you for sure exactly what was wrong with it, but there was something wrong with it.

4 - the guy there, that seemed to be the guy in charge of the shop was a complete tool. I have been to this pawn shop one time before and I bought a bass there. got a great deal, played it thru the same amp (which sounded amazing that time) and they guy was pretty cool.
This guy acted like we were bothering him asking to look at one of the basses. last time I was there, they guy got the bass down, set up an amp, gave me a chair and a strap for the bass, and let me rip til I decided I wanted the bass.
This guy, acted like we were bothering him when asking for the bass. then I asked if he had a chair and, he did go get one, after making it seem like I was ruining his afternoon. I asked for a strap, and to play the bass thru an amp, and he reluctantly did both, but in a very dickish manner.
The bass was priced $369, and I asked about that because it was $335 on Offer up. he said that all things on offer up are 15% off what they are in the store, and that is the only price they could sell for, only the boss, that would not be back until Tuesday could sell goods for lower then they are priced.
after we played with the bass for like 15 minutes, told us we had 5 more minutes to decide, saying we had enough time with it.
the store was empty, except the 3 employees that were there, one if which was camped out, laying down on the floor, infant of one of the Tv’s on the wall. turns out we were interrupting movie afternoon.
I pretty much got up and left. I told him I might come back when his boss is there and bring my own amp so I can test it properly.
This was at 2:30 on Saturday afternoon. They close at 3pm on Saturday, they are closed on Sunday, and they are closed this Monday for Labor Day. there is zero chance that it could be sold before Tuesday, so I could still go back and get it, and I am still undecided.

If it was the other pawn shop that I go to, which is called Beach City Pawn AND GUITAR, the guys are cool AF. They would put new strings on it for me to test, plus they would have a bass amp for me to test it with, And at the very least, they would let me put new strings on it, or different strings on it to test it out.
I doubt this place gives 3 f’s about selling it to me, and would probably not allow me to change the strings to test it. I would actually bring old strings, but ones that have life to them, and probably wouldn’t even mind just leaving them on the bass if I don’t get it, but I still doubt they would go for it.

So, I am not sure about this bass. I have to love it, because it would be a bass that I would probably change all the electronics out, and it would be a bass to keep for life. IDK if I even like it enough to change it into a keeper for life. I am still undecided at this point.

6 Likes

I think that’s a pretty good description of the Rockbass line. The basses themselves are well made, and even use some higher end choices of woods for the neck (Wenge fingerboards, etc). The body tonewoods are generally cheaper though, and the electronics are cheap. Not bad but also clearly not high end when you play with them. The MEC pickups seem ok but they also aren’t nearly as good as the pickups in the MIG or Korean made Warwicks.

A lot to love about them though - very light, as you noted the Warwick bridge and nut systems can’t be beat, and they are solid, well made and relatively inexpensive instruments.

How did you like the neck feel?

5 Likes

I liked it, but it was thinner like an Ibanez neck almost, actually very very close to my ESP LTD B-4E neck. My friend that went with me, who has a 2008 MIG Corvette (p/j) said the neck on the MIG is way bigger.
I was expecting it to be like the neck on the Spector Performer (body like the Wick Streamer) , but it was way smaller. I liked it a lot. The bass seemed extremely solid, similar to the construction of my B-4E, just not neck thru.

Like I said, I like the bass. For me to buy it, I want to LOVE it, because it is something I will be investing in. I will most likely drop the Agiular pick ups in it, which are $120 each, and will replace the pots and imputes jack. that is probably only about $50 to $100.

If I got this bass for $300, and put $300, I will have a solid bass that will last a lifetime, and will be amazing. For me to dedicate to that, I want to be in love.
Maybe not “in love” yet, but at least infatuated with it. I am not sure I am there yet, but I do have a bit of time to think on it.

also, I do not have to upgrade anything yet. Except the strings, those are a must, but it is not dire to replace the pick ups, and I could live with the loose pot, considering it is the neck volume pot that is really loose, and I could live with it all the way up or all the way down for now.

It might be worth just getting it, and selling it later if I decide I don’t want it. This bass, it not super popular around here, and when I do see them for sale, they are usually $500 or more, which I know is out of line, but thats what people list them for.

5 Likes

i thought about a hammock, and then went to look at an apartment today, and will likely be moving in a few weeks…sorry in advance to my neighbors, my Ampeg BA115V2 doesn’t know what quiet is

6 Likes

Yeah, I will be moving soon too. my SWR’s are a little rowdy themselves. :rofl:

4 Likes

So tonight I was browsing eBay ( there’s my first mistake) and I found something that I’ve been pondering over for a long time but had real trouble finding one in Australia. So I put a low offer in not expecting a result but low and behold this is on its way to me :scream::crazy_face::sunglasses:

10 Likes

Nice! Mikro?

8 Likes

Certainly is @howard

8 Likes

Grats Mac!

6 Likes

Congrats @Mac! When should we expect the first cover with the new baby?

7 Likes

nice get @Mac
can’t wait ti have a go on it, make sure ya put the flats on for me.??
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Cool Mikro. I am in that club as well. Come to think of it, I have not played mine for a while, think I will break it out today and give it a little love. :wink:

6 Likes

Yeah, I am in one of those same situations, only it was not Ebay, it was Offer Up. But I set Offer Up to go National, I found a Keeley Bassist Limiting Amplifier for like $80. it was MINT, with all OG packaging, and I paid $90 total to have it shipped to me.

I figured this would be a quick flip, I can easy get $175 or more for it on Reverb. (and I look at Reverb selling trends to see how often things sell, and this one sells ALOT).
I am also trying to get a Zvex Fat Fuzz Factory in the same condition, MINT with packaging, for $70. I should be able to flip that for about $150 or more and still it quickly, but even if I sit on it for a few weeks, doesn’t matter to me.

So, why was that a mistake (getting the Keeley Bassist Limiting Amplifier)?
I figured, what could go wrong, I get it, flip it, make a little change, no problem. How could this be problematic at all, it can’t, its perfect.
I have two compressors on my board, I love them both, this is just another HIGH QUALITY- BOTIQUE compressor, I have two already, this won’t be a problem, it will get here, I will test it out for 2 minutes, and box it back up and list it.

Well, here is the freaking problem. Plugged it in, set it up on my SWR WorkingMan15 amp, powered up everything. I triggered the foot switch, light came on, triggered again, it went off. I played with it in bypass, check, bypass works great, I turned it on, plucked a few notes, dialed it in good, set the unity gain, turned the ratio to about 8:1, played for no more then 30 seconds, and FELL IN LOVE.

OMFG, this pedal rocks.
Do I love my SANJUNE GB-cp? YES
Do I love my BOSS BC-1X? YES
Do I love this KEELEY? YES

Problem, my board is going to have 3 compressors on it, WTF???
I honestly can’t part with this thing.
I almost think if I were to get rid of one of these 3 compressors, it would be the Boss BC-1x, but I love it so much.

IDK, this is almost REVERSE GAS. I absolutely do not want to part with any of the three compressors, they are all so freaking awesome, and they are all different enough from each other that there are uses for all of them.

UGGG, Plan backfired, and I am sort of happy about it.

5 Likes

Thank you @JerryP @TNKA36 @T_dub
I’m working on a couple of covers at the moment. I’ve just got to get my head together with @TNKA36 and get educated on the recording side of things.
I’m really trying not to browse as much as I was @T_dub for the very same reason you’re facing now. I’ve got a couple of pedals bought for a song and I was going to sell them on but it looks like they’re staying for a while.

8 Likes

Pretty sure the Keeley is a (boutique) MXR DynaComp clone :slight_smile:

You should try a DynaComp!

4 Likes

Yes, you are correct, the KEELEY is , in onvilabs words

It is a boutique version of the standard Ross/Dynacomp circuit, and while it performs better than the originals, it still has their basic action and tone characteristics.

And the DynaComp

The Dynacomp family is tedious and not interesting to me. If you like them, great for you.

To which I somewhat agree, I have tried them

But, the KEELEY BASSIST is quite different. It is a completely different animal.

This is a new design from Keeley, completely different from his previous comp pedals, based around a VCA chip in the same style as dbx uses. So these new Keeleys are competition for other VCA pedals such as the Carl Martin Comp-Limiter and the Maxon CP9Pro+, particularly of interest to anyone wanting a “dbx 160A in a pedal”.

The DynaComp really does not interest me either, but this Keeley Bassist is incredible.

Earlier I mentioned the Carl Martin Comp-Limiter and the Maxon CP9Pro+; I’d say this new Keeley does what they do just a little bit better, in a smaller package.

I really do like this pedal, it is quite amazing.
He compares it to the MXR M87, Bass Compressor
He actually says the MXR M87 (another on my list to try) sounds a little better then the Keeley, but is more unreliable, and harder to dial in to find a sweet spot. Also, MXR quality control and life expectancy is not the same as Keeley

4 Likes

I think the thing about the DynaComp that specifically bores him is that there are so damn many clones. He’s tired of seeing them and reviewing them all. They make up like 75% of compressors.

5 Likes

Agreed, but it is a different circuit then this pedal. I don’t have anything against the DynaComp, it does the job, but I like what I have much better, and I have 3 compressors already, so the Dyna doesn’t interest me.
It is a good option for an always on compressor in the front of the line, I just like my always on SanJune better, I like the slower optical compression for limiting. it does the trick, but it is more organic then some hard limiters IMO.

I have not tried your Carl Martin Opti, but I am guessing they are very similar, to the point where the SanJune could be a clone of your compressor, and I am sure yours has a nice organic squash

4 Likes

Yep I bet they are similar. I really like optical compressors for my front of chain compression.

My battalion has a really crunchy single-knob compressor on it, apparently based on the Bass Preacher. It’s mid-dirt in my chain and that does the job for me too for that crunchy, not-subtle metal and industrial style compression.

Bass Preacher seems like it might be interesting. Not the best but interesting.

4 Likes

Yeah, its on my list of ones I would try (or buy if they showed up cheap on Offer Up) as well, for that same reason. My buddy actually uses it as his compressor. He doesn’t really like or appreciate compression or compressors, but his experience is limited to the Bass Preacher. I think if it were my only compressor, I wouldn’t like it much either. He uses it more for boost and sustain, which is ok if thats what you are looking for, but you can get that out of pre-amps, boosts, fuzz pedals, etc… and other things as well.

Bass Preacher
MXR M87
Carl Marting Opti comp
Lamplighter
Boss LMB
MarkBass Compressor
Onvilabs Smoothie

Thats some of my list

5 Likes