GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

That is gorgeous! I don’t know how they do it.

5 Likes

Wow, that looks nice!

2 Likes

Cool - congrats! Which model is that?

Now, sent Santa over here… he missed a spot :wink:

3 Likes

Come on, brother. With all your beautiful babies, you don’t have a spot left open. :joy:

5 Likes

GAS can be debilitating and occur at any time so beware. I’m in remission right now but suffered from it when I wanted to learn to play harmonica. After buying quite a few inexpensive blow harps I ended up sending for several custom made left-handed chromatics from Germany. Beautiful instruments but $x,xxx.xx. I bought big with my first bass hoping that it will head off more GAS. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Cool. But since you brought up your new bass, you gotta make with the pics.

Head on over to the Show Us Your Basses (Part 2) thread and flaunt it some. :guitar:

1 Like

I know, neck through and active electronic just awesome value.

Cool! Don’t leave it lying on the floor though, you won’t be able to find it again :wink:

I think that’s an HBZ-2004 Deluxe Series.

2 Likes

You have a point, my man - I am grateful for all I have :smile:

5 Likes

HBZ-2004, they also make a 5 string and a fretless 5 string of this series.
There is also another interesting one BZ-4000, I think it has better all around hardware, is a bit more expensive but still half the price of the cheapest new Fender bass around here.

That is my dining table A.K.A luthier’s workshop.
It came with D’Addario nickel XL strings so really not bad, but I saved those for another occasion and put on my recent favourite, Rotosound RS66 LN (nickel, slightly light gauge).
That, and a thorough setup later and it’s a fantastic instrument.
Still needs proper bridge grounding though, it buzzes if I don’t touch the strings.

There’s very little info on the pickup configuration so I don’t know if they are active or it just has a built in preamp/EQ.
They look like a bit wider single JB pickups but they sound like the humbuckers on my Yamaha.
The output is surprisingly quiet, needs more gain and volume on the amp end than my other basses.

4 Likes

Specs say “active EQ” only, so I’d guess they are passive (humbucker?) pickups.

Maybe raise the pickups a little as well?

2 Likes

Thanks! Yes, the BZ-X000 series is nice (X=4, 5, or 6), but they are quite heavy!

Very few basses out there with active pickups, and very unlikely in such an inexpensive bass. I had found the pre-amp in the BZ-6000 I used to own quite hot. Maybe raise the pickups a bit, as @Mike_NL suggested!?!

2 Likes

Just a millimetre or two can make a big difference. When I bought my Ibanez SRDM2000 the E and to a slightly lesser extent the A were way too loud on the precision pups, completely unbalanced. So I just screwed that pup (the one for those two strings) down by maybe a millimetre, maybe two, and the difference was massive. So raise them a little closer and I’d expect a noticeable increase in volume.

3 Likes

I’ve been on the lookout for one of these for a couple years now. This one popped up in Jersey for about half of what they go for everywhere else so I had to.
The famous Phil Jones Briefcase amp (guy painted grille cream and I kinda like it. Matches my new AE bass.
The Briefcase has a battery compartment for rechargeable 12V that gives you a couple hours sans power cable (need to get a battery).
5-band EQ, compressor, XLR and headphone out.

Should be fun.

14 Likes

Wow great find, I was looking for one too! I’m curious to hear how it holds up against the BG-120 sound wise.

2 Likes

The 120 is up in Rochester in my work apartment. At some point I will bring this up there too and do a side by side - I am curious as well.

3 Likes

Seems that it’s not a preamp but a 2 band EQ, maybe it doesn’t have much amplification, anyway the electronics cavity is rather tidy an seems to be screened with some kind of carbon paint.
I’ve raised them as far as they will go, maybe they just have a lower output by design. It’s fine, I was just a little surprised.
The only thing I wish was different is that the bridge pickup would actually be even closer to the bridge, as in a typical JB, to bring more agression to the 50/50 pickup balance setting. But after tweaking the balance towards the bridge, adjusting the EQ knobs and playing close to the bridge you can still get that gritty sound.
I think the grounding issue has to do with this heavy anodized finish on the bridge parts, maybe the strings will wear it down a bit and make better contact. I forgot to measure the electrical resistance between the strings and electronics ground while I was there, but maybe I will later.

5 Likes

Oh wow! That’s cool.

2 Likes

Where in Jersey is it?

1 Like

*priorities

2 Likes