GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Nice. I hope you love Ableton Live!

2 Likes

I got Gassed today also. I wandered into the chat room where they were talking about the GoPro, and before I knew what hit me, I had ordered a GoPro Hero 9 to shoot my cover videos. I figure I can also use it create my own background videos instead of using stock ones, and also I can assist Sara with video stuff on her photo shoots (That’s how I’m justifying the expense to her)…

5 Likes

It arrived!

The kidney is about twice the size I imagined without reading the specs. It sure is built well though. From the days when giant manuals were still printed!

Looking forward to my new SVT sound :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I can’t wait to read your review of it. I may have to put one on my GAS list.

3 Likes

I’ll do my very best, but I bought it based on @terb review. If it’s not good I’m pretty sure I won’t be trusting my ears.

5 Likes

My latest gear acquisition arrived today: An Ibanez AFB200 hollow body I’ve named her “Melissa”.
I haven’t played her yet as I need to get those icky round wounds off and replace them with the LaBella black nylon tape wounds that I bought for her (why would they put rounds on a hollow body bass???). I’ll most likely do that first thing tomorrow morning.
I’d put on a glove and play with her a little tonight, but when I tested her out (straight out of the box), she is way off intonation. It’s a floating bridge, so I might as well adjust the intonation after I’ve changed the strings.
Look how she dwarfs her little sister, Paulette. :rofl:

14 Likes

Because they sound better? (ducking :slight_smile: )

I mean - I actually think they do, maybe even especially on a hollow body, but understand the difference in opinion here.

6 Likes

I actually think they do, maybe even especially on a hollow body

That’s an interesting comment @howard. Without us thrashing about my opinion about round wounds (which has been beaten to death), it seems to me that the concept of the hollow body is to somewhat emulate the tone of the upright, which ALWAYS has flats.

Can you elaborate?

4 Likes

I don’t think that emulating an upright is at all the purpose of a hollow body. It’s one thing it can do, but just a minor part of them.

The purpose of a hollow body is to get a resonant tone on the guitar. It works equally well for guitar and bass. Hollow body guitars sound amazing too. Listen to Brian Setzer, those are rounds :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I never played a hollow body but I guess you can play them acoustic as well? I can imagine nylon tape wounds would sound really nice too with a hollow body…
Absolutely loving that Ibanez bass @PamPurrs. It looks stunning!

6 Likes

Also this - congrats, that thing looks awesome. I kind of want one.

4 Likes

I found this video which demonstrates the difference on a hollow body between rounds and flats. They both sound good to me, so again I think it comes down to personal preference.

6 Likes

Yep! Like any other bass, it depends on what you are looking for.

(the real reason manufacturers always ship rounds is likely because they are cheaper)

Also, wow, the CHB-1 sounds pretty great there. And you can really hear the difference rounds vs flats.

4 Likes

I wish I had your acute hearing @howard I could barely detect a difference even with headphones on. Between my time in the military and the radiation treatments for my throat cancer, I lost the sharp hearing ability that I once had. I can still enjoy music though, I just can’t tell flats from rounds like you can. :grimacing:

5 Likes

I had the exact same reaction! This bean is an eye-sore in my living room. It’s kinda ugly but in a good “retro” way :rofl:

7 Likes

All that matters is you like what you hear :slight_smile:

And seriously the new Ibanez looks awesome. I didn’t know they were making those, looks like a very well priced bass for what you get.

Curious about setting the action height on these floating bridges. The Gretsch has one too.

5 Likes

Ooh, they make one with a standard (Warwick-style) bridge too.

4 Likes

The Hofner was my first experience with the floating bridge. It’s a rather odd thing to me, but I guess it’s quite common on hollow body instruments. Instead of adjusting the action and intonation on each string individually, the entire bridge tilts one way or the other with thumb screws on the ends, and floats forward or backward at what ever angle is necessary to nail the intonation. It’s a bit of a POA and requires some getting used to.

4 Likes

Ineresting. I note your bass costs a bit more than the model with a standard bridge - the floating bridge must be sought after or something? I am ignorant of them, no idea.

Oooh:

previous year’s model, about $375 used. Damn.

Not gonna, but that’s gorgeous.

edit: ahh, here we go:

“The AFB200 is geared towards the traditionalist; the player after a huge, warm bass tone perfect for Jazz, Blues, or acoustic sets,” Ibanez explains. “The AGB200 is ideal for bassists seeking a bit more flexibility. The solid center block and hardtail bridge make it perfect for splitting time between those laid-back sets and full-volume electric shows.”

8 Likes

The semi hollow basses (which have a wooden beam down the center) use the fixed bridge. The “Full” hollow bodies like I have use the floating bridge. I guess that’s because there’s no sturdy place to attach it.

6 Likes