GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Great to have you back @T_dub Toby!

4 Likes

Here you go @Bassdacious
Sorry for the wait but I’m still having issues uploading pics

12 Likes

Thank you. Gee that bass looks awesome. That is my cup of tea!

3 Likes

Certainly one of the best value for money basses out there atm @Bassdacious

2 Likes

Lookin good

3 Likes

I’ve got the vintage cream version. I can’t remember did you change the pup? I don’t mind the stock one, but think I’m going to change it out as there is just a faint humming sound if you’re wearing headphones.

2 Likes

Yeah I swapped the pup and the preamp. Probably could have got away without swapping the preamp although the Noll one I put in is very good.
The Aguilar ag4m is certainly worth the swap

2 Likes

My Imac took a crap first, then my Bluetooth keyboard (new one will be here tomorrow) between both those, and hating typing on the virtual keyboard, I just took some time away.

That, and the fact that beautiful Peavey Cirrus I got for such a great price, showed up with the headstock completely broken off (sent back Saturday waiting for refund, prob by Friday), I just couldn’t handle it. Every post I tried typing in went all berserk, so I figured. It was as good as. Time as any to take a few days off.
Should be back in keyboard business tomorrow, but I have started really looking into Chrome books as alternatives. Lots of good Daws run on them, and unlike iPad ios, you can do multiple windows at a time, like on an iMac or PC, so been doing some research. They are pretty cheap too. Have not made any final decisions, but I am close to ordering one, givimg it a try, then just return it if it’s not as user friendly as many YT vids would lead you to beleive they are.

Anyone with any good or bad experiences recording on them?

7 Likes

Mac,
where did you get that ramp?

1 Like

It’s from a company over in the USA called Shapeways. ( www.shapeways.com) @JerryP
It’s made using a 3D printer and cost me around $80 aud

2 Likes

With recording, no. With overall use, yes. if you do get one, get as good a one with as large a screen as you can afford.

The cheap ones are really frustrating. Also, you’ll need an external hard drive for recording, as storage on CB’s is really limited and you don’t want to use cloud storage as your recording/editing medium.

4 Likes

Thanks Mac.

1 Like

Is the ramp a standard item or did you have to order it?

2 Likes

I had to order it @JerryP

Takes a couple of weeks to get produced.

3 Likes

Good to see you man!
Bummer for sure on that Peavy!

4 Likes

Yeah, I have a G drive that I have all my music, recording gs, GB files, and time machine backups, in case I were to get another IMac. Just seems silly to buy another older one that. Has the older to oldest GB on it, just so I can restore what little I have on the Imac itself.
It’s 50% for playing / lessons and courses and GB recording, maybe 5% of other apps I actually I use, but don’t need an iMac to use, and the rest is internet, mostly here on bass buzz.

I really like my IPad, but still prefer a desktop or laptop over it for probably 90% of what I do.

My biggest gripe with iPad (most tabs, and some chrome books) is the inability to have multiple windows open, with the ability to work between the two, like drag and drop.

There are ways to get 2 or 4 open on some for,atm, but it os still more visual then useable, as far as I can tell by what I have seen and looked at.

I think it comes down to compatibility with hardware for me, so just need to find something that works and is compliant with my current set up.

Ideally, a new iMac would be the way I would love to go, but I am limited to a mush smaller budget
I could sell some Basses I suppose, but that’s not. I have fun either, plus, it is awesome when you find a bass fora good to great deal, but it’s mot much fun. When you have to sell some for lowball prices to collect the extra cheese you need at the time.
Plus, you are reminded of it every time you use the damn IMac (stupid computer, cost me a stingray and squire Jazz)

2 Likes

OK. thanks Mac!

2 Likes

I agree. I use an old MacbookPro (2011) updated with an SSD harddrive and 32GB of RAM. I run High Sierra on it, and Apple can go and f**** itself before I buy anything newer. If stuff stops getting supported on it, I’ll just load Linux or FreeBSD and I’ll keep using it as long as she chooches.

3 Likes

You could also go with a Mac Mini and a external monitor. Much cheaper

5 Likes

The new mini’s are great, too.

2 Likes