GAS outside of music…

Instead of the desire for new gear all of the time, I have BAS which is book acquisition syndrome. I have plenty of great books lying around in my room that I haven’t finished yet just because I keep buying new ones. I am, however, doing a bit better in finishing what I started. I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about acquisition syndromes outside of music.

7 Likes

Then don’t start with amazon kindle if you haven’t already. This is not going to help. I know because I have KBAS. Kindle Book Acquisition Syndrome. I get away with it because some of them are quite useful (some are related to bass) when it comes to exercices and riffs ^^
Others are mostly to improve myself or discover new things in my job.

3 Likes

Still within music…
Vintage pre-war Conn silver plated saxophones - still GAS technically
Vinyl (VAS)
Kate Bush (KBAS) - music, video, books, etc

Outside of music…
Any/everything David Lynch (DLAS) - movies, books, art books, you name it
- Sub catagory Twin Peaks (TWAS) !!
NY Yankee Yearbooks (YYAS) - I have all but one from 1950 forward
John Fluevog shoes (JFAS) - I have about 50 pairs
Decks of cards (CAS) - on again off again when I find a really cool deck

3 Likes

My GAS outside of music is video production and editing. Cameras, tripods and attachments, editing tools, effects, computers, lighting, green screens, software… it goes on and on.

2 Likes

Shall we call you Imelda? :rofl:

5 Likes

Brava!

1 Like

Could go with Imeldo in his case, maybe?

2 Likes

My GAS is generally constrained to Bass and Motorcycles.

Currently this is haunting my dreams!

5 Likes

That was my thing for 40 years until back problems forced me to hang up my riding boots. Here’s me with my last ride before I retired from riding.

12 Likes

Now THAT’s a pretty baby, Pam!
Hope it is in good hands now!

1 Like

I believe she is!

1 Like

Of course I have no idea what kind of back problems you have, but that motorcycle looks like a recipe for guaranteed back pain on wheels… Have you ever tried a lighter motorcycle, with a more active riding position?

2 Likes

That was the most comfortable of all the bikes I’ve ever owned/ridden. My back problems had nothing to do with riding, it’s more related to other things.
I can’t imagine me riding a small, light-weight bike. I did a lot of cross-country or day long local rides and needed the full-size bagger, plus a comfortable seat for Sara.

6 Likes

If you are dealing with a bike the term is FARKLE functional accessory really kool likely expensive

2 Likes

I, then have the ABAS. (Audio book). I think I have over 350 titles from Jack Reacher to Thomas Sowell in my collection.

1 Like

Oh man, the new Speed Triples look great. Always liked Triumphs. Damn that bike is right up my alley too, even the color.

3 Likes

Yeah, was gonna say, those may be big and heavy, but they are designed for the luxurious ride.

2 Likes

I refuse to think about my outside of music GAS… Even the slightest thought could cause a relapse. I’ve been paying much more attention to bass than my other hobbies of late. Other hobbies include, Astrophotography, Sim Racing, Watches and 2 channel audio.

2 Likes

I have over 200 games in my Steam library.

I am one of those that still buy digital music rather than rent. I have no idea how large my music library is offhand but it’s gotta be well over 2500 songs, so figure 250 albums worth.

This is most but not all of the DAW plugins I own:

There’s another page of that size of more Reaper builtins, but I rarely use them. Reaper comes with a lot. A lot of those are dupes as well between VST and VST3.

2 Likes

I remember you posting that before Pam.
That’s a seriously sleek looking mile muncher!

2 Likes