GAS outside of music…

@Shibata I keep wanting to get into astrophotography, but man is that an expensive hobby! I’ll have to stick to visual astronomy for now.

3 Likes

Depends on what you want to do.

Check out the Other Hobbies topic or better still just do a search for astrophograpy on the forum. I posted a few pictures taken with simple equipment. You do need an digital SLR camera and a few lenses though.

1 Like

I have a serious Motorcycle and Motorcycle Gear Acquisition issue. I believe the total number of bikes owned over the last years is something like 8 Suzukis, 3 Ducatis, 4 Yamahas, 2 Kawasakis, 2 Buells and one each from Triumph, Aprilia, Husky, TM, Harley and a Honda. Only have three currently though.

2 Likes

@Eddie

Here is one astrophotography link for you to look at There is also a link there to the other hobbies thread.

One thing to note is that astrophotography is very time consuming both in the actual picture taking and post processing. And you have to preplan your shots very carefully.

1 Like

I currently have three too.

1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2000 Moto Guzzi California EV Touring
2014 BMW K1300S

I like Buells a lot. If I lived stateside, that’s probably what I’d choose to ride.

1 Like

CAS…….Chip Acquisition Syndrome…………trying to collect as many as possible at the blackjack table!!!

1 Like

@Tony216 I find that motorcycle GAS takes a lot more space and money than bass GAS, but if I had the space (and the money) I’d be a lot like you :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I was always happy with one bike but that list would have worked for me :slight_smile:

I’ve only owned Kawasaki’s (one GPz1100 and two EX500’s) but my next-up would be a Yamaha YZF-R1 or R6.

I have always wanted an Aprilia RS - much more than any Ducati actually - but could never justify it.

I did almost buy a BMW R1100GS once after test riding, because they are way more fun than they look. Probably useless off-road though, but damn, it felt like a combo of a sportbike and a halftrack, in a good way :rofl:

My GAS outside of bass guitars is actually BGAS (BoardGame Acq. Syndrome). This bookshelf is one of six spread around 2 different rooms. And this is after downsizing from close to 800 to the current count of around 350.

2 Likes

Ahh this was me when I was younger too. Specifically Avalon Hill and Task Force Games/ADB. ASL, Panzer Leader, Star Fleet Battles, Starfire, etc.

2 Likes

Wow blasts from the past!

2 Likes

Hi! I always fight a little GAS for ham radio gear, but my main addiction is kites … big kites and “line laundry”. “Laundry” is basically wind socks that can’t fly on their own, but are lifted by connecting them to other kite lines. We typically call them all kites anyway.

One of my favorite kites is a 100+ foot octopus. The photo is my most favorite kite (line laundry) right now. It’s not my biggest by any means, but I really enjoy getting it in the air. It is a 57 foot long dragon. I named him “Otis” because he was paid for with some overtime (OT) money from a special project at work.

6 Likes

CQ CQ CQ VE3TBC here :slightly_smiling_face:
I have had a full spectrum licence for 55 years but have not been active for a while now and only operated in Morse on the lower bands.

At 72 it takes a lot to impress me but as an avid RC glider pilot and seeing that kite I have to say WOW :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks, Celticstar. I’m NB0W, with my first license in '91 (I’m 56 now). I also mostly only operate CW. I’ve not been very active lately (need to correct that), but I really enjoy the SKCC group.

I spent a couple years in RC and a peaceful glider flight was always my favorite RC flying too. I enjoyed the RC stuff, but I can relax more while watching the kites and I was always nervous about crashing the RCs. Most of the RC guys I flew with moved up/out to gas which they couldn’t fly at our soccer fields. I wasn’t going to travel to fly RC like they do so I just went back to kite flying.

I’ve got a lot more of my kite adventures on my YouTube Channel called: ScottFlies

1 Like

Very impressive. What is the attraction to all the octopus kites.

I went the opposite way and went from Gas to Electric gliders to high start and winch launch and right now am into Discus Launch Gliders. Not cheap. No motor.

I live in the country and fly off of sod farms. No gas allowed. During the summer months I fly about three times a week depending on the weather - primarily wind. Last summer I destroyed an old 2 meter electric foamie because I tried to fly in 29 MPH winds. Not a very bright thing to do. Oh well now I am down to 7 aircraft :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I thoroughly enjoyed watching your videos Scott, I’m glad you shared.
I used to fly a Peter Powell stunt kite back in my youth but I’ve never seen anything like these before.

Where would I get more information on the kites?

The octopus is just a good shape to make into kites. They have a big body that provides the lift and then the tentacles are basically kite tails to keep it stable, and they are very interesting to watch as they flow in the wind. The shape of a cow is not very aerodynamic, LOL. You’ll see quite a lot of marine life as sea creatures are typically streamlined and are just the right shape to translate into kites well.

1 Like

The main supplier of the high-end big “show kites” is peterlynnkites out of New Zealand. The prices will shock you but their stuff is all made super high quality and built to last. Most of my stuff comes from various sellers through Aliexpress in China. What I get from there, I would say is 80% the quality, but only 50% the cost of the high-end Peter Lynn kites.

There are a few dealers in the U.S. like pictureprettykites, funwithwind, etc but they just don’t have the big show kites … everything they have comes from China anyway.

2 Likes

It can be. I have certainly fallen down the astrophotography GAS path many times.

Here is a pic of one of my rigs and a picture taken with it. My editing skills aren’t the best.

7 Likes