The Photography Corner

Thanks, @peterhuppertz ! Yeah, the Speakeasy was fun. :grin: :cocktail: It’s all ambient. I have a few lamps that I use, some with diffusion, some without. The figures and environments are pretty detailed and sculptural - great for black & white photography.

I also do human photography - I’ll post some of those later.

I bought a LOT of Calico Critters in my day, and I don’t remember tiny booze bottles in any of the sets.

There are many sides to you @kristine

1 Like

Then you haven’t bought the right sets. :rofl: :joy: :rofl: They were in an older grocery store set, a couple restaurants, and a birthday party set. I have a few beer cans, too. And LOTS of wine glasses. These animals like to party.

Heeheehee. Yes. :grin:

1 Like

Oh wow! Never seen those, very cool.

1 Like

I think @kristine has raised the cool quotient on this forum by a large margin. I can’t wait to see what you share next.

1 Like

There was another thread that had quite a bit of photography on it here Other hobbies?

My main interest in photography these days is in a niche field called Astrophotography.

Here are a couple of my Astrophotography pics from the last six months.

I am quite proud of the Andromeda Galaxy photo which I took to see how far I could push a lower priced lens without shooting through my telescope. Note the exposure time of 3 hours. Post processing was about an additional 8 hours. And people say you need patience to learn Bass :rofl:

If interested, other Astro pics of mine are in the other thread listed above.

3 Likes

blushes oh ah well I can’t really speak to that but thank you @david.addis
It’s been a strange day and your comment helped redeem what was left of it. :upside_down_face:
I will have some other pics in the morning.

Very cool images, @Celticstar ! Seems like you’ve made patience your hobby, with excellent results.

Thank you.
Click on the images to appreciate the full beauty, especially the one of Andromeda. :slightly_smiling_face:

Amazing @Celticstar - it’s mind-boggling to think about how big the universe is (and a little frightening). I think about it a lot. :slightly_smiling_face:

For a three-hour exposure, how do you compensate for the rotation of the Earth?

2 Likes

You beat me to it. I’d be interested to hear that too.
There are devices that will actually do that. We have a telescope (a Meade ETX125) with a “following” system, but I wouldn’t trust that to be accurate enough for photography.

1 Like

I’m also guessing that the eight hours of post-production has something to do with it, too.

I’m betting he’s starting with a cartload of images, and stacks them using software specific to astrophotography.

3 Likes

I’m not going to bet against that. While we wait for a response, here are a few fun images with humans instead of toy animals:

All-Night Skate, Richmond, VA

All-Night Skate, Richmond, VA

The Delta 72

Late Night, Kentucky Deluxe

I enjoy the juxtaposition of my friend’s head with the lamp:

2 Likes

Those are really good! I think I have a couple rabbits somewhere.

1 Like

I have actually photographed a human being as well. Although most guitar players suspect that he was secretly from a different planet.

2 Likes

I like the one with the bottle a lot!

1 Like

The dentist one makes me think of something like this: (at 0:55) The SIDH - Out of My Head (feat. SounDiver) - YouTube

1 Like

Wait, there’s more! :rofl:

Frans Vollink. Look him up. STELLAR bass player.

Sebastiaan Cornelissen… quite a… “proficient” jazz drummer and composer. He and Frans are joined at the hip.
Sebastiaan is one of my best friends, and directly responsible for me getting back to playing the bass after almost four decades of hiatus.

2 Likes

Ah, the magic question. This is a very involved subject but there are two basic ways to compensate for the earth’s rotation. You can use what is called the 500 (or 400) rule or use a star tracker which actually follows the stars as they move across the night sky. You can also combine the two. Here is a video that explains it pretty well.

This is always a controversial subject on the Astrophotography forums and there are quite a few videos on YouTube about it. There are also a few other things to consider, for clear pictures, besides the exposure time such as the camera’s crop sensor type, camera sensor noise from heating on long exposures, and the ISO rating used, just to name a few.

Here is another video from Nico’s site that may be of interest in what you can accomplish with a minimum of expenditure.

1 Like

The system on your telescope is called a go to system and is used typically so that the novice star watcher can find and track a star, or other object in the sky. I would rather save the money and use a standalone camera star tracker that is designed for this purpose. Goto systems still require proper polar alignment to work properly, which confuses and frustrates a lot of people. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a Celestron 6" reflector telescope and the adapters for mounting my Canon DSLR to it but would rather just use my stock DSLR, Tripod and intervalometer. Less gear to set up.