The Photography Corner

Yep. That’s not the projectile. It’s the magna port slots lighting up before the gas really comes out. The projectile hasn’t yet exited by the looks of that. That’s the fun with revolvers and the big gas leaks from the chamber to barrel junction.

1 Like

There were some LED lights going at the time and they just happened to shine on the back of his hand.
So many people at work look at that piece of road and said “I got booked for speeding along there!”

2 Likes

Ok, time to see if I can breathe life into a dead thread.

I went fully digital in… I think 2010. I know, I was late to the party. Reasoning how I wouldn’t have space in our new place to get a darkroom going (yes, I am a control freak, so I insist on at least developing my own films), it made sense to say goodbye to film.

Almost two years ago, I admitted that I was still not capable of getting some of the results I got on film. That, and a wave of nostalgia, made me bring out the old XD7 and stuff a roll of Tri-X in it.
Then, I suddenly realised that, above the garage, we have a little windowless attic which coould easily be made light-tight. Not enough space to create a full printing darkroom, but definitely enough to facilitate getting a film into a development tank… so I got me a starter kit for film development, which included a Paterson System 4 tank and a bottle of Adonal, which is essentially Rodinal. Soak a Tri-X exposed at box speed in Rodinal, and lo and behold, you can scoop the grain right off the picture. On top of that, the way Tri-X handles the highlights and the general wonderful tonality… hook, line and sinker.

I then found an old Minolta XE-1 which had a mechanical problem – the film would transport, but it wouldn’t arm the shutter. I reckoned I knew where to look, so I acquired it for the price of a good bottle of wine, and 90 minutes later, it was as good as new. Achievement despite ignorance. :wink:
I decided that I’d use that for favourable light conditions,. with ISO100 films or lower.
This shot is on ADOX HR50 (ISO50), developed in my new development fix: ADOX XT-3.

For low-light photography, I find that my 64 year old eyes need all the focusing help I can get… so I got me a Minolta Dynax 800si, which is one of the later autofocus cameras, and a sleeper destined to become a classic. I plugged in a Delta 400 which I exposed at ISO800 and developed (yeah, I know… again) in ADOX XT3.

I won’t fully nerd out on the technical details here – not anymore than I already did, that is. I’ll leave you with one more shot from the XE-1, this time on ADOX CHS100 film… and guess what developer I used?

4 Likes

Hi @Glitch - I like your Lego images! I do something similar with Sylvanian Families figures (in the US they’re called Calico Critters). @howard might recognize these - they originated in Japan back in the 80s.

Dentists are scary even when they are rabbits:

I made one into a Fremen from Dune:

This shot is from a Speakeasy series:

They’re just really cute!

6 Likes

They really are pretty cute, @kristine . . . :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, Joe! In addition to being cute, they are perfect for the projection of the human condition. :slightly_smiling_face:

I love the Speakeasy one! It has a lot of environment in it, and the lighting is beautiful!
Do you use off-camera flash, or is it all ambient light?

1 Like

Thanks, @peterhuppertz ! Yeah, the Speakeasy was fun. :grin: :cocktail: It’s all ambient. I have a few lamps that I use, some with diffusion, some without. The figures and environments are pretty detailed and sculptural - great for black & white photography.

I also do human photography - I’ll post some of those later.

I bought a LOT of Calico Critters in my day, and I don’t remember tiny booze bottles in any of the sets.

There are many sides to you @kristine

1 Like

Then you haven’t bought the right sets. :rofl: :joy: :rofl: They were in an older grocery store set, a couple restaurants, and a birthday party set. I have a few beer cans, too. And LOTS of wine glasses. These animals like to party.

Heeheehee. Yes. :grin:

1 Like

Oh wow! Never seen those, very cool.

1 Like

I think @kristine has raised the cool quotient on this forum by a large margin. I can’t wait to see what you share next.

1 Like

There was another thread that had quite a bit of photography on it here Other hobbies?

My main interest in photography these days is in a niche field called Astrophotography.

Here are a couple of my Astrophotography pics from the last six months.

I am quite proud of the Andromeda Galaxy photo which I took to see how far I could push a lower priced lens without shooting through my telescope. Note the exposure time of 3 hours. Post processing was about an additional 8 hours. And people say you need patience to learn Bass :rofl:

If interested, other Astro pics of mine are in the other thread listed above.

3 Likes

blushes oh ah well I can’t really speak to that but thank you @david.addis
It’s been a strange day and your comment helped redeem what was left of it. :upside_down_face:
I will have some other pics in the morning.

Very cool images, @Celticstar ! Seems like you’ve made patience your hobby, with excellent results.

Thank you.
Click on the images to appreciate the full beauty, especially the one of Andromeda. :slightly_smiling_face:

Amazing @Celticstar - it’s mind-boggling to think about how big the universe is (and a little frightening). I think about it a lot. :slightly_smiling_face:

For a three-hour exposure, how do you compensate for the rotation of the Earth?

2 Likes

You beat me to it. I’d be interested to hear that too.
There are devices that will actually do that. We have a telescope (a Meade ETX125) with a “following” system, but I wouldn’t trust that to be accurate enough for photography.

1 Like

I’m also guessing that the eight hours of post-production has something to do with it, too.

I’m betting he’s starting with a cartload of images, and stacks them using software specific to astrophotography.

3 Likes

I’m not going to bet against that. While we wait for a response, here are a few fun images with humans instead of toy animals:

All-Night Skate, Richmond, VA

All-Night Skate, Richmond, VA

The Delta 72

Late Night, Kentucky Deluxe

I enjoy the juxtaposition of my friend’s head with the lamp:

2 Likes