The Photography Corner

Anyone here into photography?

Cuz I am. I used to earn my bread & butter with it even, in the seventies, before I discovered that programming was more addictive, and made more money. :wink:

I was even schooled in the technical aspects of photography, and I used to know the D76 (developer) and Tri-X (undisputedly the most used and best b&w film ever) datasheets off the top of my head. Being an engineer at heart, I functioned as the goto guy to ask questions about technically challenging subjects. When I got back into photography in the 2000’s, I was capable of doing nifty things with Fuji Neopan and Fuji Acros (two other amazing B&W films).

I definitively got into the digital format in 2008 – I was pretty late to the party, but it was in 2008 that I bought a digital camera that could match my medium format camera in terms of image quality. As of 2010, I wrapped up my dark room, and went 100% digital. Luckily, everything I had learnt when I was in photog college could be applied to digital photography. :smiley:

I have now sold most of my film equipment, but I kept two cameras around, merely for sentimental purposes (these were the cameras I used to make money with), and I’ve recently loaded one of them with a Tri-X again.
Nostalgia? Probably.

Anyway, this here photo, which I am unduly proud of, was made in 2004, with a Mamiya 645 Pro, loaded with Fuji Neopan ISO 400, exposed at ISO 250, and trick-developed in Amaloco Nivenool, to eek maximum dynamic range out of it. This was a smashing success technically, which many pros said they could not have reproduced… and it won a few prizes.

It took about 20 mins to take, and much of this was spent walking around to move the chair, and to do detailed light measurements – which made me kick up some dust, and that helped me to discover that you can make light itself visible!

Tomorrow: cycling!
In the meantime: if photography is a hobby of yours, I’d love to hear about it!

14 Likes

I’m not much of a photographer, but that sure is an interesting photograph!

I like the way the light shines through the doorway, etc.

Very artistic, @peterhuppertz . . . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My spouse is a semi-professional shooter, plus has a nice little design business going. Having been born without the gift of hearing, she was gifted with an amazing eye for art. I might add, she also has good taste in spouses :smile:

4 Likes

She’s found a niche in pet photography. Here’s one of her photos.

6 Likes

I was into photography a few decades ago. I mostly used a Leica M6 (which I sold to buy a Contax G2, which I still have). then I switched to digital. but I don’t do much photography anymore.

11 Likes

The empty chair really adds to the composition of the piece. It makes the empty space feel empty instead of just look empty. I’m not surprised it won awards.

4 Likes

The dynamic range and detail on the back walls and in the chair shadow is especially well done.

2 Likes

We have some pretty creative people here! . . . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m happy you pick up on that. I moved that chair there for a reason…!

2 Likes

One of the recurring themes in my photography is ‘Skyscapes’.

4 Likes

I also seem to have a preference for the colour blue.

This one is titled “Kind Of Blue”. @joergkutter should recognise that reference.

This one is “Moon over Clachtoll Rock”.
'Cuz it’s the moon, and that rock is near Clachtoll, so that’s what that rock is called… :wink:

5 Likes

I often get the question “do you shoot people at all?”
My response is usually something along the lines of “that’s illegal, and disturbing”.

The real answer to that question is “not if I can help it”. Of course, when I made money making pictures, one has to – but even then, I would prefer to photograph people who were not busy being photographed, if you catch my drift.

OK, I’ll shut up now.

6 Likes

Sure do! But I ‘d assume quite a lot of people know THAT reference!

Let me get more into the photos tomorrow… :smile:

1 Like

Black and white photography is just gorgeous!! I also used to have a little darkroom, where I developed b&w film and prints. The amount of work that went into composing and shooting @peterhuppertz’s award-winning photograph is something, but I bet the amount of work done in the darkroom to perfect the print was way more demanding. Sure, if your negative is crappy, it is hard to turn that into custard, but there is so much that needs to be done while developing the print. I bet you made custom masks for appropriately burning and dodging parts of the print!?!

Anyway, as for motives: I think photos of people are most exciting, especially portraits. However, taking pictures of people (in public) is a (moral, legal) greyzone that just has gotten darker in recent years. Likewise, I can’t easily post photos of people in public fora (without getting their consent). Still… I’ll share this one, which is from 20 years ago, and hopefully the little Sicilian boy will never find out or mind:

By the way, @peterhuppertz, I dig that super low contrast background in your photo from the train station!

5 Likes

Nope. Straight print. :smile:
All the magic was in film developing:
ISO400 film exposed as ISO250, developed in Amaloco Nivenool diluted twice as much as normal, for 18 minutes, without agitation.
I don’t think you can get much more contrast compression than that.

1 Like

Huh, I would have never thought… I would have thought you needed to Anselm Adams the sh*t out of this one to get the black blacks while keeping the upper left corner “alive” and so forth…

Cool! I guess I never played around that much on the film developing side! Too risky :crazy_face:

2 Likes

My daughter sent me this pic from a recent holiday she had in Cuba.
Just a quick shot on her iPhone.
I really like it.

9 Likes

That is a really cool pic, @Mark_D . . . the colour contrasts are amazing!

(I’m also a big fan of those 1950’s autos :wink: )

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

This sunset made me put the bass down for a minute.

6 Likes

I used to do some LEGO photography but stopped. I hope to get back into photography again at some point! image|500x500

10 Likes