The "BASSBUZZ LOUNGE"

i am just listening to tunes and i found this sexy gem i hope you like it as much as me it features a pre cbs fender strat it sounds so amazing and the bass just booms in this one stevie did this back in the day but i have to admit for a stock strat this is amazing - YouTube

1 Like

hey try redbreast its by jamison so freaking good yo moma wont know you!

1 Like

I have one of those.

Hendrix used to be good at that.

Yeah Phil and the Drills are pretty nifty. Check out their ‘My Sharona’ cover

1 Like

@Jazzbass19 great idea!

Have anything non-alcoholic? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks, @JPHaggerty . . . :slight_smile:

I thought it might be nice to have a “lounge” area where we could get to know each other on a more personal level . . . (besides our love of playing bass, of course :wink: )

Glad to have you on board with us!

Cheers, Joe

1 Like

As I mentioned in my bio, one of my outside interests is indoor house plants. :slight_smile:

For today’s “lockdown” project, I finally figured out how to move photos from my Android phone to my iMac. :grin: . . . It wasn’t easy but I did it (turns out I had to download an app to my desktop and go from there).

Anyway, here’s a shot of my workstation:

A slightly better shot of my Snake Plants and Boston Fern:

I’m certainly not as good a photographer as @terb or @peterhuppertz, and I know next to nothing about camera settings, etc. :frowning: This is just a point and shoot kind of thing; I had trouble with the lighting (North facing windows) and had to edit the photos on my phone first. The color is way off.

So much to learn . . .

When I improve, I’ll post up some pics on The Photography Corner :laughing:

Cheers, Joe

5 Likes

That looks VERY neat, Joe :smile:It almost looks like you even aligned the tuners on your Gibson :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks for the compliment and good eye, @joergkutter . . . :wink:

The E and G string tuners actually are in the exact same plane!

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

New player here. Bought my gear in mid-March and made it up through Module 5 in 2 weeks… When I got laid off (and all is fine on that front) and just didn’t much feel like playing anymore.

About a month ago I started kicking the cobwebs off, just going over the tabs, up through Module 8, but skipping the actual lessons (I know, I know). And also noodling around and making my own bass lines.

My best friend (who I blame for all of this) has been playing guitar for 30 years. 2 weeks ago we started jamming together. I show him what I know, show him the tabs, and he freestyles along with it, and teaches me a couple new tricks, progressions, or patterns.

So his keyboardist/lead singer and his drummer came over tonight, because they just re-leveled a half-dozen of their songs and wanted to share. I listened for a moment and said, “I can play this” and picked up the bass and did!

The singer says, “Nice!” and my buddy says, “See? I told you. He has an ear for this.”

Aaaaaaaaand now they want me to join them in the studio in two weeks to re-cut those songs lol.

Dammit!

I am sooooooo SO not ready for that lol!

8 Likes

That’s awesome. You got this! Don’t worry :slight_smile:

5 Likes

COOL! Getting throw into the deep water and all that!!

How many songs are we talking about for the studio? All six or so? Or “only” two? How many days in the studio??

4 Likes

just do it…I’d love to be in a real studio instead of hanging in my office with enough gear to fill a small music store…do it and video tape every minute to show us

4 Likes

You got this @Hondo Just relax and do your best it will come to you. Be a sponge when in the studio just soak up everything the producer or engineer tell you and go with it. I have enjoyed working in the studio (as a guitarist) each time I learn something new.

5 Likes

Oh just video it? Suuuuuuure lol. I know, you’re all saying it in a very supportive manner. Not my studio, so I can’t say. None of the licks are particularly difficult. Well, one is, but I have two weeks to learn it. All told It’s maybe 5-6 songs, all originals from about 25 years ago. It’s a little odd story.

Anyway, we’ll see. Yes, I enjoy jamming with my friend. I never really considered being part of a band when I started this. I just needed a new hobby, and preferably something healthy. (This is old school brain surgery. Stop doing bad things, replace them with good things, re-wire the electric vegetable, and try to have fun in the process).

5 Likes

@Hondo How did it go in the studio?

4 Likes

Yeah, good catch, Eric! How DID it go, @Hondo??

5 Likes

Holy crap its been a month lol?!

Needs of the service lol. Fell apart because everyone works different schedules. I’ve had to content myself with continuing to practice on my own (25 of the last 29 days), and also a half-dozen times with my friend.

He had rented studio time yesterday for auditions… Which everyone promptly blew off. He called me and we just jammed for 3 hrs, and I learned several new songs (including Cream’s “Politician,” which is fantastic on the SG) (can’t imagine you don’t know the song…)
https://youtu.be/TE2-y6ucg7s

Sorry, no opportunity to record. I did learn that I need a drummer to help me keep time (it’s an artifact from when I start drilling progressively faster and faster to implant a riff). It’s also nice to be able to dial in on the SG, and dial in on a real amp (my Rumble 100 is a great practice amp… But I can only go so far in an apartment. And let’s be real… Rock 'N Roll requires volume to sound right)

Now he wants me to sing as well lol. My mother has been the featured singer in every choir she’s ever sung for. I sung with her for about 10 years, and she thinks I have a good voice. We’ll see. I won’t sing something that doesn’t make me happy. I’ll happily play the blues, but I won’t sing the blues.

Not the update we’re hoping for… But we make the most of the opportunities we’re given.

6 Likes

Studio or not, all that sounds pretty great.

4 Likes

Sooooo… I started doing Cocaine today…

8 Likes

I’ve not been on for a while but have been lurking. And it’s all to do with how well the bass playing is going!

The guys I practice with - that’s changed too. The singer can’t always make it nowadays, so we’ve changed some of the songs up and we have a great new drummer who can also sing. So we’re at the studio multiple times a week now rearranging stuff, having a laugh, and getting to know the drummer.

Tell you what though, the bassbuzz course has really put me in a great position going forward, as we’re recording stuff and everyone is happy with everything.

When it calms down, I’ll have to play catch up on all the new threads here!

Plus, playing more has helped me stop drooling at all of the basses you lot keep posting in the various threads too :slight_smile:

Hope everyone is doing well!

7 Likes