The "BASSBUZZ LOUNGE"

Hey, everyone . . . :slight_smile:

Our Forums are growing, and we have more and more new members joining almost on a daily basis! That, coupled with the ongoing isolation from the virus threat, gave me an idea which I would like to propose to you:

How would you all feel about having a “Bassbuzz Lounge” area? . . . It could be an additional category to our existing “Chat”, “Gear”, “Technique”, and “Theory” categories (pending @JoshFossgreen’s approval, of course), and would have its own set of threads within it, but for now we could leave this idea here in the “Chat” category.

In it, we could talk about all things NON-bass related . . . our other hobbies, interests, pets, automobiles, problems, houses, etc. or simply just a safe place where we could rant about whatever is bothering us!

In the last year or so, I’ve gotten to know a lot of you and really appreciate being here to share our love of playing bass. But it’s also fun to learn more about each other (e.g. @PamPurrs and @Mark_D are avid motorcyclists), and since we’re all stuck inside these days anyway, why not pretend we’re having a party together? :slight_smile:

Post your thoughts on this idea!

Cheers, Joe

10 Likes

I like it! :partying_face:

3 Likes

Unfortunately, after 40+ years of riding across America, I had to give it up and sell my bike due to physical issues. But I have great memories (and photos), and still have love and respect for those who still ride.

5 Likes

Joe, this may be the wrong place, If so oops!
Apart from answering posts, I’m lost how to introduce myself .
Sorry but I’m not good on the interweb.
So thanks in advance for any help

3 Likes

@Jamietashi, that’s ok! Some people haven’t made any specific posts in the “Introduce Yourself” thread.

THIS thread is just an idea I had if people wanted to talk about anything non-bass related :slight_smile: If it catches on and @JoshFossgreen creates it as a new category, it could develop with different threads within it.

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

This would be the place to post them, @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, let’s lounge :grinning: I need to pour myself a drink a little later - that’ll make the lounging much more, uhm, “lounging”!

To share something else about me: I like to read SciFi novels and short stories. William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, Richard K. Morgan, Charles Stross, and my absolute favorite author, who sadly has already passed away too early: Iain M. Banks.

Any takers?? :wink:

7 Likes

Banks was my favorite too, by a long shot. Felt like a gut punch when he announced he had cancer. His Culture books were just getting better and better towards the end; Surface Detail was probably his best written book out of all his works, and Hydrogen Sonata was great. Sad it had to end on that one.

4 Likes

Yeah, these two are definitely among the highlights - they are also the last two I recently re-read… I like Excession also, even though it can get a bit tedious following the whimsical conversations of all those Minds… Hm, I guess I might want to re-read Matter now.

A poignant story about Banks: apparently he proposed to his then girlfriend after he was diagnosed with cancer and asked whether she’d do him the honor to become his widow… In a way, this is also just so like him!

2 Likes

All of the Culture series are good, even Inversions, which only inversely a Culture book :slight_smile:

Matter was surprisingly good. I had actually put it off to last and wish I hadn’t.

If I had to pick three favorites, it would probably be Use of Weapons, Look To Windward, and Surface Detail.

2 Likes

That’s the spirit! . . . :+1:

I used to read lot also, but that kinda faded away since they are making the type size so much smaller these days! :wink:

If I pick it up again, I’d probably get a Kindle reader so I could make it larger. My favorite author was Jack London, and I read a LOT of his stuff.

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

The Kindle is great. Not only can I carry an entire library of books with me wherever I go, I can also make the text larger for my old eyes. Also, I can bookmark pages without “dog-earing”, and I can eat spaghetti while reading a book without worrying about splattering sauce on the pages. The Kindle has many other great features as well.

5 Likes

Kindle app on iOS is great too.

3 Likes

Yes, Kindle to the rescue!! Now is the best time to get one and dive into a good novel, or two!!

3 Likes

and on other Android devices.
I have it on a Samsung Galaxy Tablet and use it all the time.
I had a Kindle which I loved, but it eventually died a death.
Luckily my work upgraded from the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 to iPad, and gifted us all the Galaxy tabs, so I didn’t have to buy another Kindle.
I store movies on it as well, and also use it for internet. Both of which I used to do with the Kindle.
It’s all quite amazing really - compared to say twenty years ago.

4 Likes

Does anyone here have any pets? . . . I used to have a dog some years ago, and I really miss her :frowning: She really loved me and gave me lots of kisses! :grin:

3 Likes

Despite all the right hand slapping, looks like @JoshFossgreen 's fretting arm has gotten a little bit bigger over all these years of playing :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

We have a dog, super cute little thing that gets mad if I am ever sitting and she’s not on my lap. Which is making videoconf meetings from home kind of entertaining for the others :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey, @howard

I dug up this really old pic of me and my dog :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

She was taking a break while I finished up my report :wink:

6 Likes

Adorable :slight_smile:

2 Likes